Jump to content

Which LEDs


ISP1086
 Share

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

Unless your doing  all your work at night the led's are a waste of money for the normal guy

Good point. I could see that as a expense that isn’t needed. I will be blowing snow and using it on an auger at night at a dark farm site so it might be worth it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ISP1086 said:

Good point. I could see that as a expense that isn’t needed. I will be blowing snow and using it on an auger at night at a dark farm site so it might be worth it. 

Yes and in the snowblower application u dont get all the reflection back at ya like u do with incadescent light

 

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ISP1086 said:

Good point. I could see that as a expense that isn’t needed. I will be blowing snow and using it on an auger at night at a dark farm site so it might be worth it. 

It’s up to you but the lights Mike has do fit perfectly, look pretty original, and work great.  I put them on my 686 and it is several times brighter than the old school lights. 

ACA60BB4-82A7-4989-83AE-081843048BCE.jpeg

6E115DF4-89DC-463B-BD45-E439CC3F99A5.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, 88seriesrestorer said:

on the 66 and 86 series I sell our 4411 F all the way around.  even for the top fender lights if you have them.  they are LED and look correct when off.  free shipping www.triplertractors.com

 

Mike

Need to hit you up for my 1486. Glad these posts come up to remind me?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, 88seriesrestorer said:

Yes and in the snowblower application u dont get all the reflection back at ya like u do with incadescent light

 

Mike

Yea, because there's light at all when the LED gets covered in snow because they can't produce enough heat to melt it off! Hahaha

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Farmall Doctor said:

Yea, because there's light at all when the LED gets covered in snow because they can't produce enough heat to melt it off! Hahaha

The inverse of that is the lights stay cool and don't melt the dusting of snow that comes near them, so snow doesn't stick in the first place!

Wet heavy snow doesn't "fog" like powder, so when you're blowing it it stays in the stream. The only way it's going to get on the lights is if you point the chute straight at the tractor cab. At that point you really deserve what you get...

On the rare occasion when conditions are just right, sure, wet heavy snow can build up, but the other 99.99% of the time, the advantages of LED far outweigh this one disadvantage.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

Unless your doing  all your work at night the led's are a waste of money for the normal guy

So, you've never farmed at night???? Lucky guy.

I spent $400 doing LED's on my big Case. Used it a total of 4 hours at night since, they're the best money I ever spent.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

I spent $400 doing LED's on my big Case. Used it a total of 4 hours at night since, they're the best money I ever spent.

Exactly^^^^
 

Plan for the worst and hope for the best. Better to have and not need than need and not have.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, brahamfireman said:

So, you've never farmed at night???? Lucky guy.

I spent $400 doing LED's on my big Case. Used it a total of 4 hours at night since, they're the best money I ever spent.

I do some night work occassionally but not using my older tractors most all the equipment on our farm is already equipped with the halogen high intensity lighting maybe if I used the older stuff at night I'd consider it  but only is it looked original 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

I do some night work occassionally but not using my older tractors most all the equipment on our farm is already equipped with the halogen high intensity lighting maybe if I used the older stuff at night I'd consider it  but only is it looked original 

We had a newer machine where I used to work that came with LEDs on it. Kind of like you say above. If they are good, don’t mess with them. I remember the first time we were working after dark with that machine. Looked like a space shuttle was landing out there with all that light. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I acquired my 1066, the prior owner (or someone) must have replaced the fenders with a different version.  My fenders have dual lights on each one.

When I got it and started to sort out (replace) the wiring, lights....  I went with two spots in the front and four floods, two on either side.

I have a normal job during day, don't farm...and this is essentially a lawn mower for me so I can control when I work and I've always worked in solid daylight.  I was out once cutting the back side of the farm after work...  started getting chilly....sun was going down.  I was going to call it a day when I realized this is finally my first chance to actually use the lights (verses just turn them on to make sure they work!!)

 

I don't have anything to compare them with.  The 444 we have has no functioning lights.  So I have to use my backhoe lights which are circa 1987 and same lights that have been on there for the 20 years I've owned the machine.

Backhoe lights put out a nice spread of light.  When I turned the headlights on the 1066 I was greeted with some nice light in front of me.  Nicer than I expected.  When I then turned on the four side lights (which are in addition to the fronts)  I was smiling ear to ear.  It was a ton of light within the circle of light.  I ended up finishing the field and when I drove home, it illuminated near half the field in front of the house.

I now wish I'd added one more light for the rear....and still think about doing that since the wiring is there.  It's just that I do so little when it's dark AND, in the summer it gets dark so late that I'm already tired from being up since around 4:00 A.M., I'm over it.

 

Call me very pleased I got the lights working, replaced them with LED's and even though for my use it's over kill, tickled that I've got the four floods. 

 

They DO however, light up more of the machine than I'd like...  I've thought about swapping them and putting two floods up front and the "inside" bulbs on the fenders, put the spotlights to try to take some off the tractor itself.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MY only complaint with LED lights is they can blind oncoming traffic if you do a lot of road travel at night - which could lead to an accident & liability.   For this reason, I suggest considering leaving the original front driving lights incandescent, and replacing the rest of the lights with flood or trap LED's.     Maybe Mike can chime in that they have that problem licked with the newer lights, but when I replaced mine, the cars were pulling off the road until I was past because they couldn't see!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

MY only complaint with LED lights is they can blind oncoming traffic if you do a lot of road travel at night - which could lead to an accident & liability.   For this reason, I suggest considering leaving the original front driving lights incandescent, and replacing the rest of the lights with flood or trap LED's.     Maybe Mike can chime in that they have that problem licked with the newer lights, but when I replaced mine, the cars were pulling off the road until I was past because they couldn't see!

My thoughts as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a 7130 and a 5488 with all LED’s. The 7130 has a dimmer switch so when traveling down the road at night if you dim the lights I don’t think they would blind oncoming traffic. HUGE difference from bright to dim. The 5488 I need to add a dimmer switch. I think FarmerFixEmUp has done this to a 50 series. I have another Magnum and another 5488 that WILL be getting all LED’s this winter. 
I got mine from Triple R Tractors and would highly recommend them. 
My tractors are mainly used for baling corn stalks so they get plenty of use after dark in the fall. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, ihrondiesel said:

I have a 7130 and a 5488 with all LED’s. The 7130 has a dimmer switch so when traveling down the road at night if you dim the lights I don’t think they would blind oncoming traffic. HUGE difference from bright to dim. The 5488 I need to add a dimmer switch. I think FarmerFixEmUp has done this to a 50 series. I have another Magnum and another 5488 that WILL be getting all LED’s this winter. 
I got mine from Triple R Tractors and would highly recommend them. 
My tractors are mainly used for baling corn stalks so they get plenty of use after dark in the fall. 

Yes it's fairly easy. Just get a 2 position 3 terminal toggle switch. Run the wire that goes to the front lights from the light switch to the center post of the toggle switch. You need to fun another wire to the front lights. Use the existing wire and the second wire for high beam and low beam. I added a blue indicator light in the dash that comes on with high beam. 

My LED's in the 5288 came from Triple R. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i didnt opt for changing out all the lights i went with a 24inch light bar up between the flashers on the cab, much less expensive and i can leave all teh other lights as is - i switch off/on as a car goes by - it lights up everything i need to see and then some its a two row, sorry no pix its up at my other farm/mom n dads place. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Yes it's fairly easy. Just get a 2 position 3 terminal toggle switch. Run the wire that goes to the front lights from the light switch to the center post of the toggle switch. You need to fun another wire to the front lights. Use the existing wire and the second wire for high beam and low beam. I added a blue indicator light in the dash that comes on with high beam. 

My LED's in the 5288 came from Triple R. 

I’m thinking about using a rocker switch from a Magnum, they have the indicator light built in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

We had a newer machine where I used to work that came with LEDs on it. Kind of like you say above. If they are good, don’t mess with them. I remember the first time we were working after dark with that machine. Looked like a space shuttle was landing out there with all that light. 

I got the square led lights on each corner of the cab on our hydro 100 plus the front worklights and headlights. Someone told dad they thought there was a plane landing in the field it was so bright when he was feeding cows ?

I wouldn't be without LED lights on everything. I think we work more hours in the dark then the daylight and they have sure made life alot nicer

Just got my skid steer setup how I want it. LED all around now, finally 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/10/2020 at 2:21 PM, ISP1086 said:

Switching all the lights on the 1086 over to LED. I’ve seen flood, spot, flood-beam, trapezoid etc. What ones would make the best choice? Anyone have a brand preference or a particular website they like to order from?

FWIW....not much.  In my opinion its worth getting the $ ones from fella like Tigerlights, TripleR tractors, or Larsen lights.  Trapazois are good mix I think.  I have gotten several brands from Amazon and etc.  With feeding the tracotr and loader have lights on 6hr a day 365.  Weeds out junk quick.  there was a brand on Amazon that were great not they are junk.  Like 6 weeks an will be losing lights in the board.  But the $$ ones from Larsenlights etc are bright and look new (even took off one tractor and put on the new one) years later.  The get psi washed and grain dust all over and still work great.  I did give and get Exziet 48w ones off Amazon the other day for the new to us loader.  Like a trial.  Few weeks and they seem really decent but we will see after 6m.  They were on sale.

And yeah I have switched almost everything over if it gets used in the dark.  No more blown fuses on the old wiring and way nicer light.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...