Machinery rant

MinnesotaFarmall

I just have to vent a little. About seven years ago we bought a BRAND NEW case ih silo blower filler, etc what ever you want to call it. Had nothing but trouble with it since.. thing vibrated like a lonely woman and literally shook it's own auger pan apart till the bolts tore loose in less than a years worth of harvest. Talked to the local case ih dealer about it before we just ran it to near self destruction. First, the long auger drive shaft started to work itself loose and would not hold tight in the bearings. Then it finally sent the bearings out. They said they will send a guy out. Looked it over and said the band was too tight, so loosened it, but no change. We replaced three auger bearings in it filling five silos and it would just shake and shake. Finally we all concluded on the farm that it has to be the auger is bent or something of that nature. Said order us a new one. They said it can't be, it's brand new, and wouldn't replace it in their shop. They couldn't get one for a case ih, but said that h&s and new holland were all the same, so they get that one. We installed it on our own and wham, no more vibration, no more shaking, and no more loose parts. Took old one down to them and they concluded that the stub shaft was welded in crooked and would give us a discount on new auger. Well, not even a month after that the tire went flat. Hired hand sent out to change it and came in holding an inner tube that looked like it would belong in a 16" tire (these tires have an eight inch rim). He said, "I think they need to learn how to measure." That thing was wrinkled and torn in at least ten spots. Replaced with new correct sized tube and no trouble. Now, just last fall, we had the blower band blow out on it.. it wasn't even thin, the weld came loose on the wear plate inside it and paddle came around and tore it open like a tuna can. Of course now there was no discount on this because of how old it was. 

Holy Christmas trees...

Now, about three years ago we purchased two new h&s hydrapush manure spreaders. Great units, fell in love instantly...until........ two months in...... Beater sprockets worked loose on both of them, won't hold tight no matter what. Called them, said they don't know what's up, try putting loctite on the set screw. No dice, still work loose. Two nights ago, dad was hauling manure I was loading. Calls me said come to the field with skid and pallet forks. First thought was got jammed up, but on way down I realized that can't happen, gear box and solid pro shaft with chains, nothing to slip. I get down there, and the top beater is hanging down off the top. It both broke pillow blocks, came down, hit the bottom beater, threw it back in the air, bent the you know what out of the plate that mounts it to the spreader. After some thoughtful disassembly we got it off and used it as is with some very fine checks.. now, last night, he come back up with smoke rolling off the big beater. I thought great, now what?! Well wouldn't you know, broke another pillow block, sent the beater up and took out the chain, and bearing on that one. Wholy crap, it took a while to get everything back straight and true. Almost two hundred in bearings and blocks and it's finally going to see more manure tomorrow. Old man told them if it breaks this time, they fixing it with full load in it for free. 

About had it with case ih, seems like they can't get a thing right or is it just our luck?

20 minutes ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

I just have to vent a little. About seven years ago we bought a BRAND NEW case ih silo blower filler, etc what ever you want to call it. Had nothing but trouble with it since.. thing vibrated like a lonely woman and literally shook it's own auger pan apart till the bolts tore loose in less than a years worth of harvest. Talked to the local case ih dealer about it before we just ran it to near self destruction. First, the long auger drive shaft started to work itself loose and would not hold tight in the bearings. Then it finally sent the bearings out. They said they will send a guy out. Looked it over and said the band was too tight, so loosened it, but no change. We replaced three auger bearings in it filling five silos and it would just shake and shake. Finally we all concluded on the farm that it has to be the auger is bent or something of that nature. Said order us a new one. They said it can't be, it's brand new, and wouldn't replace it in their shop. They couldn't get one for a case ih, but said that h&s and new holland were all the same, so they get that one. We installed it on our own and wham, no more vibration, no more shaking, and no more loose parts. Took old one down to them and they concluded that the stub shaft was welded in crooked and would give us a discount on new auger. Well, not even a month after that the tire went flat. Hired hand sent out to change it and came in holding an inner tube that looked like it would belong in a 16" tire (these tires have an eight inch rim). He said, "I think they need to learn how to measure." That thing was wrinkled and torn in at least ten spots. Replaced with new correct sized tube and no trouble. Now, just last fall, we had the blower band blow out on it.. it wasn't even thin, the weld came loose on the wear plate inside it and paddle came around and tore it open like a tuna can. Of course now there was no discount on this because of how old it was. 

Holy Christmas trees...

Now, about three years ago we purchased two new h&s hydrapush manure spreaders. Great units, fell in love instantly...until........ two months in...... Beater sprockets worked loose on both of them, won't hold tight no matter what. Called them, said they don't know what's up, try putting loctite on the set screw. No dice, still work loose. Two nights ago, dad was hauling manure I was loading. Calls me said come to the field with skid and pallet forks. First thought was got jammed up, but on way down I realized that can't happen, gear box and solid pro shaft with chains, nothing to slip. I get down there, and the top beater is hanging down off the top. It both broke pillow blocks, came down, hit the bottom beater, threw it back in the air, bent the you know what out of the plate that mounts it to the spreader. After some thoughtful disassembly we got it off and used it as is with some very fine checks.. now, last night, he come back up with smoke rolling off the big beater. I thought great, now what?! Well wouldn't you know, broke another pillow block, sent the beater up and took out the chain, and bearing on that one. Wholy crap, it took a while to get everything back straight and true. Almost two hundred in bearings and blocks and it's finally going to see more manure tomorrow. Old man told them if it breaks this time, they fixing it with full load in it for free. 

About had it with case ih, seems like they can't get a thing right or is it just our luck?

Don't know what brand of blower you had previous to the CIH. One issue is MFG's make a piece of equipment and over several years they get all the weak areas fixed and work great. Then someone in the engineering dept has a great idea how to make it better ''aka cheaper'' and the results of ''making it better'' are what you have now, a real POS.

• Like 2

On the blower, the dealership should have contacted the rep. Course, probably only 50% chance of that gaining any glory depending on the rep. Sounds like one manufacturer making blowers now and everyone re-badging them? IH had the best blower on the market when they came out with the 56. Sign of the times.

• Like 1

We just bought a new Brent V1000 grain cart this fall, and something has to be bent or welded crooked on the auger?! At certain rpms as the auger is cleaning out, or running empty it will make our 7250 hop like a frog! Thought it was cause of new, and paint had to wear off, it still does it! Not as bad as when first put in use, but it’s still there! Welcome to the wonderful world of overpriced $hit!!! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

I completely understand your frustration...so please don't take this the wrong way.  But you can't hold the H&S spreaders against CIH can you?  With the blower it sounds to me like you received piss pour service from your dealer, that would be very frustrating.

We were told h&s and case ih were all built in the same factory, so I guess you can say it's all the same. Nothing is taken the wrong way with me. I have plenty thick skin, so no worries there. It does seem like everything is over priced and half quality now a days. 

4 hours ago, 856 Custom said:

On the blower, the dealership should have contacted the rep. Course, probably only 50% chance of that gaining any glory depending on the rep. Sounds like one manufacturer making blowers now and everyone re-badging them? IH had the best blower on the market when they came out with the 56. Sign of the times.

Yea, they are all built by h&s. Ours is a new holland sticker one. They said h&s is a little cheaper price, and the case ih is the most expensive one of all. Same exact colour, same exact parts we were told, just different stickers. 

Mostly use the disk is in the spring to level off fields with fall harvest ruts then I'm done. Ran a Deere 637 disk for years with no bearing issues for the life of the blades, Change out both at the same time good to go for years.  Then in 2013 I updated to a Deere 2026 30' . little over a year i have a bearing failure, Ok think it's odd. Change out bearing which is different than 637, then I have 3 more failures over 2-3 years blades are worn total of 1/2 inch. Do a little research. Deere knew they had a bearing issue in 2015 with changes made to new orders.  $6,000.00 update just for parts no labor. so i complained at dealer which took it to Deere Rep. ended up getting bearings at little over cost so better then nothing.

It don't hurt to complain a little, but our case ih dealer has always been very easy to work with. Sometimes I get their hands are tied, but brand new machines having issues not even a year into owning them is a little rediculous. It's not the dealers fault so much, just the crappy components these machines are made from. 

We don't buy anything new or from a dealer. New equipment is to expensive and you will never get a deal from a dealer. Facebook market place is my go to for good used equipment. Plus my dealer does not want to deal with me because i don't spend enough money with them. 

• Like 2

We have a Harvest International 13X92 auger that was new half way through harvest 2017. It has always had quite a sag in it halfway between the swing hopper and where the first support starts. Put a couple bearings in the hopper right away. By the start of last fall it was shearing 10 plus bolts per day,had new flighting in the hopper and every bearing on it had gone out. At the beginning of this year on the first bin it started to buckle by the first joint. We lifted it straight and welded on more support. 2 weeks later it buckled behind the same joint and broke the bore pipe and flighting. We cut it open got it straight and repaired again. This thing probably only has 250-300000 bushels through it and should have over a million by now if we hadn’t used our old Fetrl so much because this one won’t stay in on piece!!!!

we also have a new  holland f 62 , most of the parts are now made aftermarket by a place called the chopper chop by colby wis, local mennonite shop, i was told that all those blowers  be it case ih, new holland ,h and s, miller are all made by artsway, now i have heard these blowers are no longer being made, and a new blower made out east is being sold, looks like the old new holland 40, i guess val metal still offers  a blower.  i think the name of the 40 look alike is called pro line

18 minutes ago, pt756 said:

we also have a new  holland f 62 , most of the parts are now made aftermarket by a place called the chopper chop by colby wis, local mennonite shop, i was told that all those blowers  be it case ih, new holland ,h and s, miller are all made by artsway, now i have heard these blowers are no longer being made, and a new blower made out east is being sold, looks like the old new holland 40, i guess val metal still offers  a blower.  i think the name of the 40 look alike is called pro line

I think Fieldline is the one you're thinking of.

I didn't hear that the 600 blower design was done away with but I'm not sure why you would want one.

A 60 foot silo does not need a Fieldline but overkill is always better it seems come silo filling.

A 600 won't hold a candle to a Fieldline with enough power in my experience, at least it will be harder on the 600 and for the power that is way more than I feel real smart running through a 540 shaft. I know of at least one 600 around here with a Magnum over 200 horse in front, it will eat but the auger will be your limit. It's a lot of power to run through 540. There are 1000 shaft 600s but hard to find here. Fieldlines are mostly all 1000s but there are 540 models.

The blower I really want to try is the ValMetals with the like 14 or 16 inch auger. I think that would be a great setup. 

A #40 new Holland is a sorry lookalike of a Fieldline even though the concept is the same, no comparison.

If going new I wouldn't even bother looking at a 600 design, it would be the ValMetal or Fieldline.   Fieldline had cost less than a 600 last I knew, ValMetals may have been a little more I forget. 

I don’t know anything about augers, but 15 years ago we had whatever model the biggest Dion silo filling blower was, and I thought that thing was an animal.  

Meyers became the most popular manure spreader in this area about 15 years ago as well. We ran one 2x a day for ten years, no issues at all.

We use to  go Years without ever braking a hay tedder tooth, but bought one two years ago that must have hollow teeth....think we lost 19 teeth first year.     We run two tedders side by side, same fields, no rocks, no broken teeth on the one...19 on the  new machine.  Rep said to save them and maybe he’d send them back to the factory and get us a discount on more new teeth. Didn’t happen. Think that was out 5th or 6th new Kuhn  Tedder.

Small square balers:  (NH....) same basic thrower design for longer than I’ve been alive.  Grew up watching my father carefully sand the paint of a  thrower shaft or roller when it was time to replace a bearing. Lightly sand metal if it as too snug.  Put a shaft in the freezer and a bearing by a heat source if you had time, finess things together nice and snug.  Things lasted a long time.  No need to finess parts together  anymore: buy a new shaft, few new bearings, the races just fall over the shaft. Locking collar kinda fits a little bit tighter. But not nice. So you add loctite. That makes it more fun next time. 

• Like 1

Have purchased three brand new pieces of equipment in the past five years. All have had something wrong with them. But mostly thought it was just our luck that these things happen. Always seems to be that way for us

2015 JD 830 Moco brand new about hundred acres in the left lift cylinder starts leaking a little oil.... dealer sends a tech out when they are out our way. Rebuilt the cylinder and the dust seal was put in backwards at the factory

2017 purchased a H&S 3127 manure spreader. Busy chopping corn and cows were still grazing so we weren't in need of using it right away so it say for three days before we went over it with the grease gun and made sure everything was set and adjusted before loading it....turned it on and run it some and the beater had a significant wobble in it. Salesman said to run it till he contacted h&s about it. Run a few loads through it till they brought a loner/demo out and took ours back. Found the beater shaft was out of alignment so put a new one of those in. Good to go right? Wrong the gear box started leaking a small amount of oil around the beater shaft. 2018 they took it and rebuilt the gearbox but it still leaks

2020 purchased a NH RB 450 silage special. A very stripped down basic model. NH dealer brought it out set it up and everything we baled idk 200-250 bales and one day made the first bale of the day and couldn't get the gate open. Let it set went and square baled some other hay came back it worked perfectly. Had the same thing happen again a hundred and fifty bales later. Called dealer and the only thing the baler tech could think of the hydraulic hose ends aren't long enough and don't make contact occasionally... didn't matter if the baler was hooked to the 52 year old 856 or the 23 year old JD7405 

Minor inconveniences. Compared to some problems but still a person would expect better

Everything is crap.  Buy a new pickup, doesn’t matter the brand, good luck getting one even through the 3/36 without having a warranty issue or a recall. 

2018 gmc, 9k miles, rear axle seal leaking oil into brake.

2019 ford,  4K miles, power lock tailgate opens itself.  

Have a case skidsteer, not sure how many hours on it now, maybe 200, hard to say as the digital display has only worked when it wants to since it was new. Gotta fuel it up proactively because that gauge has never worked.  Parking break switch was 50/50, but on the two separate days that the tech came out to fix that, the gauges were working, so they wouldn’t believe me that they rarely did.  $500 or $600 for a new gauge cluster....not terrible....I’ll replace it eventually. 

42 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

Have a case skidsteer, not sure how many hours on it now, maybe 200, hard to say as the digital display has only worked when it wants to since it was new. Gotta fuel it up proactively because that gauge has never worked.  Parking break switch was 50/50, but on the two separate days that the tech came out to fix that, the gauges were working, so they wouldn’t believe me that they rarely did.  $500 or $600 for a new gauge cluster....not terrible....I’ll replace it eventually. 

Guys around me bought a few NH's...........Nothing but electrical nightmares on them.  One made the comment this was the first SS he bought new, all the rest were used, they had issues with those, but was mechanical issues, this one works and then it doesn't then works again.  So nobody can track down the issues...........And they are under warrenty so its the dealers baby.  Personally they must coat those NH's with some real strong Kool-aid, I would have jumped ship by now.  

On 12/10/2020 at 12:54 AM, 806 man said:

Don't know what brand of blower you had previous to the CIH. One issue is MFG's make a piece of equipment and over several years they get all the weak areas fixed and work great. Then someone in the engineering dept has a great idea how to make it better ''aka cheaper'' and the results of ''making it better'' are what you have now, a real POS.

Which is why I think year three of every design is the best. It's long enough to be debugged, but not yet into cost-reduction.

Well I'm just glad it isn't just us ha. We looked at the val metal ones, but closest dealer was about two hours away, so we would have to run there to get parts if ever need be. Our case ih is only about fifteen minutes if dad is waiting lol.