5488 high steering effort.

Dillsburg 560D

I have a 5488 with a heavy front axle. I have jacked up the front axle and the steering is he same as on the ground, higher steering efforts. I have flow rated the steering pump and found 12 gpm at 1500 psi which is good by the service manual. Flowed the steering hand pump and came up with 6 gpm at 1500 ps which is also in spec. Checked the steering relief pressure and had to set up to 2450 psi as the valve had been changed prior to me buying it. Removed the steering cylinder and jacked up axle again and turned the front wheels with little effort. Took cylinder apart and found the piston seal to be bad and barrel scored. Took barrel to machine shop and had it honed with a flex hone “dingle ball” hone as not to remove to much material. Cleaned barrel and rebuilt cylinder with new kit. Installed back on axle and purged air from lines. Still have higher efforts to steer. I’m at my wits end with this thing and am asking if anyone has an idea where else to look. The rod for the cylinder is not bent either. It does have tilt steering, I haven’t ever seen any issues with the tilt on these. But there is always a first. Thanks in advance.  

12 minutes ago, Thesd5488 said:

Had my relief valve break all still worked but hard to steer 

When it broke was it obvious? I had the steering relief out 2 times when setting the pressure. I had to put my screwdriver in the vice and turn the valve with a 3/8” wrench. It came right out if the valve body when I bumped the starter over, as my magnet wouldn’t pull it out. 

I had similar problem on a 5288, it was not the square axle. The steering slowly got tighter as time went on, I decided I would fix it. Had nearly every component off and apart. Some multiple times. I did not have the supply pump apart. Every test was good, and by a long margin. I went so far as to plum inlet and return ports on hand pump to a rear remote. I could adjust flow way over specs and had 3000 psi instead of 2400. Made no difference what I set it at, it always steered the same. At that point I decided I was chasing a problem that wasn't a problem. Still steers the same way today and I still don't know why. Frustrating, to say the least

9 hours ago, Dillsburg 560D said:

When it broke was it obvious? I had the steering relief out 2 times when setting the pressure. I had to put my screwdriver in the vice and turn the valve with a 3/8” wrench. It came right out if the valve body when I bumped the starter over, as my magnet wouldn’t pull it out. 

Yes it was very obvious. Might try putting a gauge at the steering cyl to see what you got there. I have also turned it one way all the way and take the return line off the cyl and try to turn it more see if cyl is bypassing 

• Like 1

Have u replaced the 2 half inch supply and return hoses at hand pump.  They will collapse inside and restrict.  U can cap the steering lines at cyl.  The hand pump should come to a dead stop both ways, maybe just a little movement but not be able to turn through it.  You can always call me as well.  

www.triplertractors.com

Mike

• Like 1

i had one do the same thing back in the summer did everything everyone has said above and more replaced very hose new steering cylinder reman hand pump etc i finally took the whole valve out and put another one off a parts tractor i have on it and it went back to steering great i took the old valve completely apart thinking junk was in it and didn't see anything 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 88seriesrestorer said:

Have u replaced the 2 half inch supply and return hoses at hand pump.  They will collapse inside and restrict.  U can cap the steering lines at cyl.  The hand pump should come to a dead stop both ways, maybe just a little movement but not be able to turn through it.  You can always call me as well.  

www.triplertractors.com

Mike

No I have not changed the supply hoses yet, they have been replaced in the past but can be changed pretty quickly again. I capped the steering hand pump at the lines coming off the hand pump as you told me last week and it did as you said it would. It had very little movement and then locked in each direction. Mike, do you have an extra valve laying around? Have you seen them go bad as the other poster has said his did ? Thank you 

4 hours ago, Dillsburg 560D said:

No I have not changed the supply hoses yet, they have been replaced in the past but can be changed pretty quickly again. I capped the steering hand pump at the lines coming off the hand pump as you told me last week and it did as you said it would. It had very little movement and then locked in each direction. Mike, do you have an extra valve laying around? Have you seen them go bad as the other poster has said his did ? Thank you 

No need to replace.  I have never replaced.  Can be cleaned up.  Relief can be changed or adjusted higher

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dillsburg 560D said:

I have a valve if you want it

42 minutes ago, 88seriesrestorer said:

I have a valve if you want it

I was looking at the supply hoses tonight and noticed they were #6 hoses with #8 fittings on the ends. Would the smaller hose cause an issue with steering? I’m at a loss here with this thing. I’m going to pull my ez-pilot off this weekend and make sure that it isn’t causing this issue. Just hard to believe that it would cause this stiff steering. As we talked last week the hand pump flowed 6 gpm at 1500 psi and set the relief to 2450-2500 psi. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have installed new hoses on the steering cylinder from cnh and new hoses on the supply and return at the hand pump. I just pulled the hand pump out and loosened the bolts and torqued them to 19 ft. Lbs. per the service manual. Has anyone ever checked the rolling torque on a hand pump ? I haven’t put hand pump back in yet, trying to figure out how to check the torque of the shaft now. Bushings in the column are new in the last couple years and are not dragging on the shaft. Ez-pilot isn’t adding much drag either. I also unhooked the steering cylinder hoses and made a jumper hose to delete the cylinder from the system. It still has quite a bit of drag in the hand pump. I’m guessing that the hand pump could be bad even though it tested ok. Thoughts??? 

Dillsburg, I was really hoping you figured something out. Mine still doesn't seem right but I'm not willing to spend the money on a new hand pump when it passes tests and I'm not sure it's the problem. At least not yet anyway.

It really stinks buying new parts when they do not appear to be bad and seem to test okay. We have had new stuff work more often though even when there really is no reason. Haven't had your problem with an 88, but did with a 1486. New hand pump and works fine now.

I have a new double gear pump coming. I have spoke with Mike Links several times and this is where we have ended up. Thanks for all the replies and I will update with the results after new pump install.