Harbor freight badlands atv winch

vtfireman85

I am making a log lifter for the wood splitter, want an ATV winch for lifting large logs with a grapple, horrible fright has this that gets reasonable reviews and has a wireless remote. Any experience with these? It wont ever come close to 2500 lbs.. maybe 3-400 so i am hoping it will be sufficient and hold up ok. Going to be right near horrible fright today. 
https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/winches/2500-lb-atvutility-electric-winch-with-wireless-remote-control-56258.html

Got my Son a Harbor freight winch for his quad. It lasted about 5 pulls,  then quit.  Got him a Traveler winch for his quad and it's gutless.  I have had a number of Warn winches and every one has been great. I will only buy Warn anymore,  just the VR series (cheap ones). Next ATV winch will be a Warn, even if it is used.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

Use your hydraulics already available

The winch will require electric and be cumbersome.........

Ive thought of this too, but i have 3 wood splitters i am dealing with, my short one for house wood, the 4’ for the sugar house and the one at my parents, by making a slip-over-fork attachment with winch attached and long jumper cables i can take that along and use whatever spare tractor is there as a boom, i can also get farther and farther away from the splitter to grab logs from a pile using my tongs ( no @TP from Central PA, not the ones in the drawer) 

I know a couple guys who use hazzard fraught winches for hanging deer and they work.
With that said, I’ve had a couple kinds of larger winches on vehicles (mile marker and warn) and the Warn is the way to go. 

I have skid steer splitter for the big stuff and I put a hydraulic lift arm on my buddys and another buddy has hydraulic winch on his

just some ideas 

I have one on my splitter doing that job. Winch is fine. Remote sucks. First chunk you can reach out 20-25 feet and drag back. Next one 15. After four or five you have to hold remote right to control box to make it go. Go have coffee come back and acts like new batteries. Went through a season alternateing three sets of batteries. Figured out li-ion rechargeables had a little more power. Ordered a set and charger. Before they arrived. The radio died. Bought new radio setup that used larger remote. Works out near 100 feet. When winch engages voltage drops and relay falls out so it pulls in in jerks. Mounting retractable cord reel to boom and hardwireing for next year.

I'm with warn also, 10,000 pound on the truck, just fire insurance but every testing it works fine, my kid installed a factory supplied 2500 pound winch on the kawa, it too works fine when néeded.

No experience with the one you link, but have put some of the bigger ones from Hazard Fraught on trailers and I thought they were well built for the money.  

Your supposed to be a Yankee, put one on the skidloader and save your time and back if the pieces are that big.  I couldn't imagine crawling along putting wood up on a splitter with a slow electric winch all day.  

42 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

No experience with the one you link, but have put some of the bigger ones from Hazard Fraught on trailers and I thought they were well built for the money.  

Your supposed to be a Yankee, put one on the skidloader and save your time and back if the pieces are that big.  I couldn't imagine crawling along putting wood up on a splitter with a slow electric winch all day.  

The problem here is that i need to have someone to run the SS or to have someone to run the splitter.  If this doesnt work out i am out 90 bucks .. ill try it

8 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

The problem here is that i need to have someone to run the SS or to have someone to run the splitter.  If this doesnt work out i am out 90 bucks .. ill try it

I am not following?  Wood is bucked on the ground, you can pick it up with the splitter on the SS, you then turn to the pile, lift and split.  They make them with a 6 way wedge, a local guy here has one, it is fast and no work for big logs.  

9 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I think tp was saying to use a skidsteer mounted splitter. That way you don’t have to pick up anything...

Just now, NY1468 said:

I think tp was saying to use a skidsteer mounted splitter. That way you don’t have to pick up anything...

Yes, that is exactly what I am trying to say...............Super slick and fast.  

Just now, TP from Central PA said:

Yes, that is exactly what I am trying to say...............Super slick and fast.  

I concur, I think it’s something I might build this winter. 

1 minute ago, NY1468 said:

I concur, I think it’s something I might build this winter. 

Lazy Yankee like me who isn't into the Paul Bunyon Macho Logger Boot and Flannel Shirt with a saw you need 2 people to lift is into making things easy:ph34r:

• Haha 2

I misunderstood what your plan was, I thought you were hoisting to splitter

Didn't realize you were involving another machine, ie tractor

How about a hydraulic or electric capstan winch?

mount it right on the splitter so no other machine required, pull it right up to position

unlimited length pull, uses rope so easy to handle, fast cycle

• Like 1

I have one of the Harbor  freight winches with the remote. Remote has never worked well and after two years finally figured out what was draining the utv battery. Replaced the remote with regular solenoids and works fine and no more dead battery. I also have a skid steer splitter I made. Works great ,but can make a mess if the ground is not froze hard.

2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I would love to show picture. Phone won't load it. Derrick with winch hooks to tractor. Splitter hooks to derrick. Cable on derrick hangs directly over splitting bed. Use the tractor battery to run winch and splitter engine. Starter generator on splitter has no trouble keeping tractor battery charged. Wheels can come off and splitter beam sit on ground. 66 year old me would then roll the big ones on. 76 year old me the wheels stay on. The winch not only lifts the chunks and puts them right in the middle of the splitter. It also drags them to the splitter. The harbor freight winch is plenty fast enough for me. If it was faster it would be dangerous. Pleased with the whole rig except the remote.

I installed one of those winches on my neighbors four wheeler a couple years ago, he uses it mostly for raising and lowering his snowplow and so far has no complaints.

Could you please put some pictures of your set up on here if you decide to go that route. I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing with my splitter. I'm thinking of some sort of jib boom with the winch on it, maybe adding a pulley to the engine crankshaft to power a cheap Delco alternator to power it so it will be self contained. It's still in the idea stage yet. I'm sure the hydraulic lift tables work well but when you figure in the extra valve, cylinder, and hoses that's an awful lot for something that will be in the way. I also plan on using the winch to drag the bigger blocks to the splitter, a lift table can't do that.

13 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I am making a log lifter for the wood splitter, want an ATV winch for lifting large logs with a grapple, horrible fright has this that gets reasonable reviews and has a wireless remote. Any experience with these? It wont ever come close to 2500 lbs.. maybe 3-400 so i am hoping it will be sufficient and hold up ok. Going to be right near horrible fright today. 
https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/winches/2500-lb-atvutility-electric-winch-with-wireless-remote-control-56258.html

i dont quite understand what the heck you are talking about lifting large logs for up to a splitter? Secondly just so u know there is a delay on the remote so you will have to get used to it when asking for when you want to start/stop its a lil questionable. I have many splitters, a single bit axe, a double bit axe, a sledge and steel wedges, a 6lb maul and a monster maul ( guys from the 80s will remember this @ 16lbs ) and then there is the home made ibeam hydraulic unit that will plug into the SS or 706. 

Never lifted a piece of firewood up to any of them just roll them around as needed. what am i missing?