5288 2WD front axle pivot pin.

Trying to remove the front axle from the tractor.  The front pivot pin is stuck.  I’ve tried soaking in penetrating oil, and some heat with an air hammer with no luck. It won’t budge a bit.  The little cross pin came out easily but the main pin is giving me more grey hairs than I can afford!  I’m not sure how much heat I can put on the bolster with it being cast.  Any tips?

image.jpg

24 minutes ago, Mike56073 said:

Trying to remove the front axle from the tractor.  The front pivot pin is stuck.  I’ve tried soaking in penetrating oil, and some heat with an air hammer with no luck. It won’t budge a bit.  The little cross pin came out easily but the main pin is giving me more grey hairs than I can afford!  I’m not sure how much heat I can put on the bolster with it being cast.  Any tips?

image.jpg

I took the whole complete front end off the end of that pivot pin on my 1086 years ago and used a hydraulic ram to push the pin out forward direction the bushing side of the pin is worn smaller and once it moves it comes out easy didn't even use heat figure having the axle tube out would make it easier to replace the bushing too

I put a small 8 ton bottle jack between where small pin goes pump the jack till it puts good pressure on that pin heat it and hit the bolster with hammer it should pop out

11 hours ago, acem said:

Yours won't come out.

Mine won't stay in.

Shouldn't that average out?

Thx-Ace 

Mine either had the cross pin break one time and the whole thing came out while disking front axle rolled underneath busted the oil pan luckily though the front weights held it off the ground enough it didn’t ruin the crank 

14 hours ago, Mike56073 said:

image.jpg

Looks familiar. I tried every method I could think of, heat and big punch & hammer, bottle jack, more heat, wouldn't budge. Got the torch and started "washing" it out. Good gloves and face/eye protection. Not fun and not fast and will ruin the torch tip but had no other options. 

Got it out, the bottle jack/heat and BFH finally worked.  I actually found that tapping on the bolster right under the pin swinging towards the rear got it loose.

Now my next question is, how much up/down play should the spindles have?  I’ve got 1/4-3/8”.

image.jpg

image.jpg

2 minutes ago, Mike56073 said:

Got it out, the bottle jack/heat and BFH finally worked.  I actually found that tapping on the bolster right under the pin swinging towards the rear got it loose.

Now my next question is, how much up/down play should the spindles have?  I’ve got 1/4-3/8”.

image.jpg

image.jpg

that looks normal gap for the spindles they will never be completely tight 

• Thanks 1

There isn't a correct amount of gap in the spindles as such. Really all that matters is that the thrust bearing is doing it's job. Get lots in that the bearings are out or tired and then it wears the bottom of the knee off. The bottom of the knee should not contact the spindle at all when it is standing on the wheels. 

Good job on getting the pin out!  I did it on an 8940 MFD a few years ago by drilling a 3/4” hole about 3/4” into the pin and then welding a cut off 3/4” bolt into the hole. The welding helped loosen it, then I used short lengths of pipe big enough to fit over the pin and a stack of washers and tightened a nut onto it to pull the pin out, I was putting a new pin in anyway. 

6 hours ago, 89vmax said:

How bad is it worn where small pin goes

You mean the rear pivot pin?  That’s the reason I tore it all down, the rear pin and bushing are worn.  
    As long as it’s all apart now, it’s going to get the works, minus the knees/spindles

2 hours ago, Mike56073 said:

You mean the rear pivot pin?  That’s the reason I tore it all down, the rear pin and bushing are worn.  
    As long as it’s all apart now, it’s going to get the works, minus the knees/spindles

Thats the best thing to do, I did one a while back the same way