Engine frost plug heater for C135

Rod Smith

Good evening,

I was hoping someone could direct me to a frost plug heater for my International 340 with a gas c135.  The frost plug is 1 5/8”. I have looked on Katz brochure, but cannot find one listed.  

I have done quite a bit of google work and there are some listed on American eBay and also at this link that appear to work, https://www.completetractor.com/new-frost-plug-heater-for-case-international-tractor-combine-106725a1/  However, I need one that I can source in Canada  as the exchange rate and more significantly, the cost to ship really add to the cost.  Shipping seems to have gone through the roof and would likely cost at least $30.

I have found the numbers Atlantic 1709-7001, and Stens 3009-1013 (can’t find it on the stens site) but I am not certain these will work.

Any clarification on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Rod

I have a question... why do you need a block heater for a gas engine?  I know it likely gets much colder in Canada than it does here where I live, but we had a 340 gas, two as a matter of fact, growing up and they started even when we saw -20°F.  One we used almost daily in the winter.  It still had a 6v system back then.  Because of the 6v system it was tough to start when it was that cold.  Later we converted it to 12V and I don't recall ever having any more issues.  The other one was 12V originally.  

1 5/8 block heaters are very common.  Any auto part store should be able to get it easily.  I just looked online and there was a page of options. 

Amazon ...

ZEROSTART( Phillips and Temro.com) 

#3100054....

120V, 600 watt, 1 5/8" diameter

Right center , point element down. ...

$32.00+

Verify info!

Or use Circulation Heater...

Oreilly Auto parts   ...Zerostart $37.00

Rainman,

thanks for the info.  I will look into that.  Our amazon availability is not as good as you guys.  You guys can get everything, which is great.

j-mech

My concern with finding a 1 5/8 frost plug heater is that I get one were the element has the right depth projection, and does not touch the side of the engine block.  As for a heater on a gasser, I want one for the same reason I run one on my 82 chev, they start a lot easier, less initial wear on start up, and easier on the battery. I don’t run this thing everyday, so it will go weeks without running and a little heat just makes life easier.  I’ve had it on the odd very cold night were it was a bear to start (starts great in regular weather, generally starts good in winter).  The heat just adds a bit of insurance and rids one of some potential frustration.

Thanks for the help folks, it’s much appreciated.  

35 minutes ago, Rod Smith said:

Rainman,

thanks for the info.  I will look into that.  Our amazon availability is not as good as you guys.  You guys can get everything, which is great.

j-mech

My concern with finding a 1 5/8 frost plug heater is that I get one were the element has the right depth projection, and does not touch the side of the engine block.  As for a heater on a gasser, I want one for the same reason I run one on my 82 chev, they start a lot easier, less initial wear on start up, and easier on the battery. I don’t run this thing everyday, so it will go weeks without running and a little heat just makes life easier.  I’ve had it on the odd very cold night were it was a bear to start (starts great in regular weather, generally starts good in winter).  The heat just adds a bit of insurance and rids one of some potential frustration.

Thanks for the help folks, it’s much appreciated.  

Put a block heater in. You don’t need a block heater until you realize you need one. But here in North Dakota it is going to be 50 above tomorrow so who needs a block heater.

3 hours ago, Rod Smith said:

My concern with finding a 1 5/8 frost plug heater is that I get one were the element has the right depth projection, and does not touch the side of the engine block.

I don't think you will have any issues. If you're worried, and don't use the tractor often, knock the plug out and get the depth, but I don't think you need to worry. 

As far as reason to install, do whatever you think you need to.  I don't think cold start and warm up is going to much damage a 60 year old tractor.  Likely too wore out. Plus it's not like you speed up the cab heater on a 340, lol!  What cold weather will be hard on is the hydraulic pump and engine oil pump.  Not trying to sway you one way or the other, just making statements.  

I went to my IH parts counter merchandizer. I couldn't find it, but if I remember correct the C135 had a thread in oil heater. But going from memory on that one.

I have NEVER criticized anyone for wanting to put a block heater on a car/truck/tractor.  Probably 3/4ths of the cars & trucks I've owned had them or I put one on.  FORD MOTOR CO. started 5+ years ago making them STANDARD on ANY vehicle ordered by a dealer in the northern tier of states.  The one on my POWERSTROKE was plugged in any night it dropped below freezing, sitting inside an insulated shop I could heat up to 50-60 degrees in a half hour. But it would roll over and be running in a single revolution, had hot air from the heater & defrosters,  it didn't have heated seats and steering wheel like my RAM.  My '78 & '87 F-150's had 1500W tank type heaters, KAT'S I think. My first and my 2nd car had them, 2nd car, '77 Firebird was a factory option. Had to put one on my '74 Chevy LUV. I snooped around and even found an outlet I could plug my car in at COLLEGE. 

Dad and I put the heater on the Super H on right, drilled and tapped a second hole in the head by the temp sender hole, the common tee most people use just doesn't work well. Dad just removed his temp sender and installed the fitting on the heater on the M. It actually needs the heater, but if I need it I'll heat the shop up. I installed a new temp gauge and removed the block heater. We've used it two afternoons to move snow in 15 winters.

I can't really understand Fiat/Chrysler's logic, my RAM has some sort of climate package, includes the heated seats & steering wheel, defrosting mirrors, rear window,  but NO block heater, or Traction-Loc or No-Spin rear axle, and it's 4wd!   And I DO plug the wife's Ford Edge in when it's below zero.  I think SON's Mustang GT even has a block heater.

I think of all the screwing around I used to have to do to make sure my semi tractor started in winter. Had to leave it idle all night several times. Ran it out of air for the starter, had to drag my tiny compressor out to pump it up. It would wet stack something terrible idling.

5 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I have NEVER criticized anyone for wanting to put a block heater on a car/truck/tractor.  Probably 3/4ths of the cars & trucks I've owned had them or I put one on.  FORD MOTOR CO. started 5+ years ago making them STANDARD on ANY vehicle ordered by a dealer in the northern tier of states.  The one on my POWERSTROKE was plugged in any night it dropped below freezing, sitting inside an insulated shop I could heat up to 50-60 degrees in a half hour. But it would roll over and be running in a single revolution, had hot air from the heater & defrosters,  it didn't have heated seats and steering wheel like my RAM.  My '78 & '87 F-150's had 1500W tank type heaters, KAT'S I think. My first and my 2nd car had them, 2nd car, '77 Firebird was a factory option. Had to put one on my '74 Chevy LUV. I snooped around and even found an outlet I could plug my car in at COLLEGE. 

Dad and I put the heater on the Super H on right, drilled and tapped a second hole in the head by the temp sender hole, the common tee most people use just doesn't work well. Dad just removed his temp sender and installed the fitting on the heater on the M. It actually needs the heater, but if I need it I'll heat the shop up. I installed a new temp gauge and removed the block heater. We've used it two afternoons to move snow in 15 winters.

I can't really understand Fiat/Chrysler's logic, my RAM has some sort of climate package, includes the heated seats & steering wheel, defrosting mirrors, rear window,  but NO block heater, or Traction-Loc or No-Spin rear axle, and it's 4wd!   And I DO plug the wife's Ford Edge in when it's below zero.  I think SON's Mustang GT even has a block heater.

I think of all the screwing around I used to have to do to make sure my semi tractor started in winter. Had to leave it idle all night several times. Ran it out of air for the starter, had to drag my tiny compressor out to pump it up. It would wet stack something terrible idling.

Denny , my F150 has block heater from factory. Call if your Ram needs a pull...or jump.?

j-mech

I agree with the cold oil thoughts, especially the hydraulics. I just want to make sure she starts when I want to start.  It’s a lot like insurance, I have it just in case, and if things work out great, I won’t need to use it.  Would love it, if it didn’t get so cold here.  But I did rebuild the engine a couple of years ago so she’s not wore out anD anything I can do to maintain something, I generally do.

Many of the fords up here come factory with the block heater.  Wife’s old fusion had it.  I have come to appreciate having one in my daily driver 82 chev. It’s allowed me to get to work on a few mornings when she wasn't going to go. Beats the old incandescent light bulb under the hood trick. 

• Like 1