Removing lug nuts on a budd wheel?

acem

I had a blow out on my 9370 and need to remove an outer dual. It's a normal budd wheel arrangement with the inner nut/stud and bigger outer nut. The inner stud/nut is stamped L which means left hand thread? It's on the left side. I'm trying to loosen it clockwise.

I can't seem to get the nut off. I put my 3/4 breaker bar and 6 ft pipe on it. I'm applying enough pressure to twist my American made extension about 30 degrees. I'm afraid I'm going to break something.

My 1 inch impact is not working.

Any suggestions?

I applied penetrating fluid.

Thx-Ace 

12 minutes ago, acem said:

I had a blow out on my 9370 and need to remove an outer dual. It's a normal budd wheel arrangement with the inner nut/stud and bigger outer nut. The inner stud/nut is stamped L which means left hand thread? It's on the left side. I'm trying to loosen it clockwise.

I can't seem to get the nut off. I put my 3/4 breaker bar and 6 ft pipe on it. I'm applying enough pressure to twist my American made extension about 30 degrees. I'm afraid I'm going to break something.

My 1 inch impact is not working.

Any suggestions?

I applied penetrating fluid.

Thx-Ace 

Yes, L indicates it’s left hand thread. I’m guessing it’s gauled to the inner nut, have you broke any of them free? 
Try hammering on the socket and then try loosening it, or possibly tighten it just enough to break it loose... that’s my 2 cents worth.

good luck, be careful!

Helped the neighbor break some loose took standing on a 8 foot bar if you have help you might put tension on the breaker bar then smack the extension with a hammer may jar loose

33 minutes ago, acem said:

Got er did!

A friend brought his 1 inch impact over and it zipped them right off.

I tighten them back with my 3/4 drive breaker and 3 ft pipe. I greased them first.

Thx-Ace 

It seems like them torque to either 450 or 550 ft pounds.

You may not be tight enough.

53 minutes ago, acem said:

Got er did!

I tighten them back with my 3/4 drive breaker and 3 ft pipe. I greased them first.

Thx-Ace 

I’d check them after a trip or two if I were you.  Good luck.

Bud wheel is 400 ft lb. 

Hub pilot is 500 ft lb.

These are the torques I was told. 

Bud the inner stud is 3/4" fine thread. Hub pilot is 7/8" fine thread and can withstand more torque

I seen Plymouth in decade 40 with right side left hand thread 

20 hours ago, acem said:

Got er did!

Thx-Ace 

You need to apply the correct torque especially if you have aluminum wheels. We use a snap on torque wrench that goes to 650 FT#.

• Like 1

I just put new rubber on my livestock pot . Budd wheels. I welded a square onto a socket. 1" drive gun sucked them off easy . Always have  extra inner and outer lug nuts llefty and righty on hand to replace the stripped threads cause it happens. A little anti seize helps too. I also installed some Cats Eyes on them. At a glance you know they are aired up correctly. Have had good luck using them . cheaper than a new tire or a good used one.