1086 Hydraulic Pump

tractorman21

Hello,

I have an opportunity to buy a neighbor's 1086, but it sounds like the hydraulic pump is going bad. When you start the tractor, it makes a whining/growling sound and the steering is very hard. Sometimes you can turn the steering wheel and the sound will quiet down for a couple of seconds. The tractor isn't low on hydraulic fluid, but I don't know the condition of the hydraulic filter. The owners family is selling due to health issues and he's not around to answer any questions.

How big of a job is it to replace the pump? Drain the fluid, remove the fuel tank and unbolt the plate covering the pump? Is there anything in particular that I need to be extremely aware of when removing the pump? Where's the best place to but a replacement pump and what else would I need to replace?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Steering pump is mounted to the multiple control valve (MCV). This is located in the left side of the speed transmissiom. The hy tran fluid and filter probably need changed. Best to get a service manual.

• Like 2

2nd what "mrfred54" says - Get a manual - 4 what it's worth: I make sure I get an operator/owners manual and preferably a service & parts manual for every single piece of equip I own, used or new. Very useful but sometimes they can leave a little to be desired when it come down to the "what is acceptable" dept". That's why I come here and am open to others experiences and opinions. Cause I know a lot but don't, and never will know, everything I need to know. "You will learn more by listening and less by talking".... 

If it were mine, new hytran and filter. New pump and mcv spring kit etc. Would be a good time to inspect change the transmission brake (very cheap) and make sure that's all in working order. They dont shift good without it. All this after I got a manual and did a little troubleshooting and these guys are glad to walk you through anything but it sure helps to understand what your asking about. Good luck if you buy it. 

It may not be low on fluid. Good place to start is the manual. After that and some simple reading, the mcv will need to be removed if it comes down to it. Like others said if it has brakes and t.a. still works, could be something messed up in steering circuit. I haven't yet figured out the flow of the hydro fluid through the mcv. If the rear remotes work good without any noise and there isn't any foam in the oil when you use the remotes (I use a short piece of hydraulic hose with appropriate fitting to plug into tractor and run some into a clean bucket to check for foam) then you can rule out a suction tube seal leak. Does the red t.a. lube light come on at all when running? If pressures are out of their range you could have a stuck spring or piston in the mcv.  Wouldn't be a bad idea to do a mcv spring kit in it while it's off and give it a very good cleaning when you change the mcv pump if need be. If I remember correctly however, I think the hitch pump feeds the mcv??