Jump to content

IH 544 TA replacement and adjustment


Vinnivee
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have an IH 544 with a bad TA and just split the tractor and in the process of changing the clutch and TA.....things I have never done.  The TA lever when put in the forward position the tractor will not move....when pulled back it moves as normal.  I would appreciate any tips I can get.  Thank you.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When you put the lever forward did it want to kill the engine?    If so the over running clutch rollers have jammed and keeping the carrier from turning.  In low side, lever back, the carrier normally stands still and the internal planatery gears turn so that is why is moves. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

your description goes against the symptons you should be having,  Most likely failure is when lever is back tractor stops moving.  I want to say that its impossible to function as normal (or even to move) when lever is back if it ceases to move when lever is front. but there could always be a first.

Not beating up on you just think its really unusual

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Ed Leaman said:

your description goes against the symptons you should be having,  Most likely failure is when lever is back tractor stops moving.  I want to say that its impossible to function as normal (or even to move) when lever is back if it ceases to move when lever is front. but there could always be a first.

Not beating up on you just think its really unusual

I repaired a 666 that locked up the carrier.  Would not shift up, just drag engine down but of course the customer backed off right away so it didn't tear out the direct drive clutch.  I knocked the carrier loose with a big hammer just to prove my point to him and then repaired the TA.  It happens.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a thought . When you replaced the TA clutch did you remove the 3 bolts that goe threw the pressure plate ? These should be removed after ppa installation as they keep the ppa released to aid in TA clutch installation . If not removed they keep the clutch disengaged which wont allow direct drive which os when the TA lever is forward .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, FARMALL FIXER said:

Just a thought . When you replaced the TA clutch did you remove the 3 bolts that goe threw the pressure plate ? These should be removed after ppa installation as they keep the ppa released to aid in TA clutch installation . If not removed they keep the clutch disengaged which wont allow direct drive which os when the TA lever is forward .

I am under the impression  he is getting to the TA because of the problem and has not repaired it yet. Maybe I am reading this wrong.  But, if the three bolts were left in the tractor would still move as it would stay in low side and not shift up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, pete23 said:

I am under the impression  he is getting to the TA because of the problem and has not repaired it yet. Maybe I am reading this wrong.  But, if the three bolts were left in the tractor would still move as it would stay in low side and not shift up. 

Pete ... I was a little unsure of where he was at in the repair . I was thinking he had replaced the TA clutch and had it back together and it would only move on the low side and no change when moving the lever ahead to direct . I certainly may have understood wrong . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry guys for not being more clear.....I just split the tractor at the engine.  I have not split behind the TA case yet.  The tractor sometimes would not move forward or backwards when the TA lever move up or down.  I was told by my neighbor the TA was bad.  I cant afford to send it to the repair shop.  The engine runs good and the rest of the tractor is OK.  I will change the main clutch and the TA clutch (pressure plate & disc)   It will be my winter project but I am by no means a IH professional mechanic.  Any words of advice is appreciated.  Thanks again....  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Vinnivee said:

Any words of advice is appreciated. 

Order a chassis service manual.  I suggest buying from this company:

https://www.peacefulcreek.com/

They don't list the complete 544 manual, or at least I didn't see it but they do offer it because I have one from them I bought earlier this year.  You have to email them, they do not have a phone number.  They will respond. My copy covers the entire machine including the engine, and all versions of the tractor.  (Farmall, utility, gas, diesel, gear drive, hydro, ect...)  I don't recall price, but it was less than $100. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Vinnivee said:

Sorry guys for not being more clear.....I just split the tractor at the engine.  I have not split behind the TA case yet.  The tractor sometimes would not move forward or backwards when the TA lever move up or down.  I was told by my neighbor the TA was bad.  I cant afford to send it to the repair shop.  The engine runs good and the rest of the tractor is OK.  I will change the main clutch and the TA clutch (pressure plate & disc)   It will be my winter project but I am by no means a IH professional mechanic.  Any words of advice is appreciated.  Thanks again....  

That does sound more like a main clutch problem to me, but while you're in there it is a good idea to replace the TA clutch too. Worst case scenario here is that the tractor will drive in direct. Most likely the gear reduction from the TA being back is what was allowing the tractor to move, but I suspect if you put any load to it, it would stop.

No need to split the tractor any further if that is all you're going to do.

An old IH mechanic told us to try to manually turn the TA with the input shaft once the tractor was split. It should only turn in one direction. IF you can turn it both ways, the low side of the TA is out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can replace the little 7" clutch with one split at the bell housing.  I misunderstood your posting; sorry, but Something made me believe it would always pull on the low side and stop moving when the lever went front.  Don't think thats a possible scenario.

 

Would it free wheel in either position?  like  run away down hill

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Vinnivee said:

Hello guys....I split the tractor at the belle  hosing and looked more closly and discovered I do NOT have a clutch or pressure plate.  I have a mechanical TA......now what????

 

What?  If you split it at the bell housing, you'd better see a cluch and pressure plate.  If you don't, you have a hydro 544. Which, incidentally also would not have a TA. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...