Ruger American 22LR

Mr. Plow

Anybody have any thoughts or experiences with the Ruger American bolt action in 22LR.

Got rid of my Savage MK II 22LR, and looking for a replacement.  Have lots of 10/22 mags, so American bolt is on top of list.

Curious what you guys think of them.

(I have "nice" 77/22 and CZ guns.......this will be a beater)

I have one in . 22m it is half again more expensive than a savage and 2.5 times more gun. I highly recommend it.  Personally I wish i had gone with .17, but not because of the gun. 

I will ad what it lacks in beauty, it makes up in functionality and ergonomics. I also feel that there is no better mag than the ruger mag. 

Son won a Ruger American in 450 Bushmaster. Good thing he won it. By the time he got done uncheapening it he had as much in it as a higher end rifle. It IS a nice gun. But make sure it's something that works for you "as is". Or it will get uncheap quick.

3 minutes ago, exSW said:

Son won a Ruger American in 450 Bushmaster. Good thing he won it. By the time he got done uncheapening it he had as much in it as a higher end rifle. It IS a nice gun. But make sure it's something that works for you "as is". Or it will get uncheap quick.

What did he find wrong with it? They are not a 77 for sure, but consider the competition.. 

25 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

What did he find wrong with it? They are not a 77 for sure, but consider the competition.. 

Stock sucked and was to short(Boyd's fixed that. Needed a trigger hone. Bolt went out to be slicked up. Nothing major just little to mass produced.

10 minutes ago, exSW said:

Stock sucked and was to short(Boyd's fixed that. Needed a trigger hone. Bolt went out to be slicked up. Nothing major just little to mass produced.

I am sorry he didn’t like it out of the box. I can honestly say it is the first complaint i have heard about them. They do lack fit and finish compared to the 77 but they also lack the 77price tag

4 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I am sorry he didn’t like it out of the box. I can honestly say it is the first complaint i have heard about them. They do lack fit and finish compared to the 77 but they also lack the 77price tag

Like I said ,he won it. So he figured he had money to play with. He now has a very nice bear gun.

2 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

Anybody have any thoughts or experiences with the Ruger American bolt action in 22LR.

Got rid of my Savage MK II 22LR, and looking for a replacement.  Have lots of 10/22 mags, so American bolt is on top of list.

Curious what you guys think of them.

(I have "nice" 77/22 and CZ guns.......this will be a beater)

Bought one for my son for his 12th birthday.    On way to gun shop I was thinking to get him a 10/22 for their track record.    He picked out the bolt Ruger American instead.   Brand new out the door for 225$.   We put a scope on it.    I think it’s a good gun for the price.    Really like that you get a replacement comb to put a scope on.  

62AAC0C4-354A-4FA5-A02F-643B19C8C179.jpeg

1B294215-9DE9-4577-A89E-05137416EB40.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Bought the wood stocked version, 22LR, 22" barrel.   Added Tech Sights aperature sights.......quick down and dirty sight in at 25 yards last week showed lots promise for good accuracy.......and once sighted in, it was ringing my steel spinners like clock work!

20201214_191431.jpg

Sounds interesting.  I'm no hunter, but have been kicking around the idea of a 22Mag. just for fun.  I always liked the looks of a 77/22, but this looks like a more affordable option for someone like myself who will rarely use it.

I shot a 22 mag for years and love it.

The best one I had was a Browning pump. That was one accurate rifle.

I just tore down the Savage bolt/clip 34M yesterday as I owned it since 1970 and have never cleaned it.

It was not really dirty but it needs some lube.

I may have the barrel turned for a muzzle brake while I have it gutted.  Just for fun.

I have been looking at both the Ruger auto and the bolt in plain 22. I may just need to own that American bolt.

Can't get new 77/22 in anything but hornet or pistol calibers these days....

American rimfire replaced the others. 

9 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

Can't get new 77/22 in anything but hornet or pistol calibers these days....

American rimfire replaced the others. 

Glad I got mine. It may be my favorite. Death on groundhogs out to 100 yards. Dimentionally it's a near mimic to a Model 70 Featherweight.

Brownell's is selling their BRN-22 receiver only for about $100.00 for the 10/22.

You can get either a railed receiver with the picattiny rail built in or the plain one drilled for scope mounts.

Why buy a 10/22 and then throw 90% of it away to upgrade it.

Buy this receiver, then put the barrel, stock, bolt, trigger, etc., etc. on it that you want.

And you get to build it to your specs?

30 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Brownell's is selling their BRN-22 receiver only for about $100.00 for the 77/22.

You can get either a railed receiver with the picattiny rail built in or the plain one drilled for scope mounts.

Why buy a 77/22 and then throw 90% of it away to upgrade it.

Buy this receiver, then put the barrel, stock, bolt, trigger, etc., etc. on it that you want.

And you get to build it to your specs?

Are you sure you mean 77/22???

Sounds like a 10/22 conversation.......and I agree with your 10/22 comments ???

My first .22 was a 77/22.  Got it when I  was 12 or 13.  They are very nicely made guns but have indeed gotten pricey the last few years. Never had an American but have looked them over several times. I’m sure they are nice at their price point and work well as alL Rugers do.  The .22 mag got tossed aside with the advent of the .17hmr. Each side has their benefits but I’ll personally take the .22mag any day. It is one of my favorite calibers hands down in rifle or pistol. I’ve put down lots of groundhogs with a .22mag in both rifle and pistol configurations. They really shine on raccoons. Below is 10/22mag and a S&W model 51

E3952387-A589-4340-A8C6-69655FF585DF.jpeg

28E42164-6C09-4980-83E6-08B70A4266A2.jpeg

1 hour ago, exSW said:

Glad I got mine. It may be my favorite. Death on groundhogs out to 100 yards. Dimentionally it's a near mimic to a Model 70 Featherweight.

I have one in 22mag too.......had CPC do a full tune up on it.......its awesome!!!!!

14 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

My first .22 was a 77/22.  Got it when I  was 12 or 13.  They are very nicely made guns but have indeed gotten pricey the last few years. Never had an American but have looked them over several times. I’m sure they are nice at their price point and work well as alL Rugers do.  The .22 mag got tossed aside with the advent of the .17hmr. Each side has their benefits but I’ll personally take the .22mag any day. It is one of my favorite calibers hands down in rifle or pistol. I’ve put down lots of groundhogs with a .22mag in both rifle and pistol configurations. They really shine on raccoons. Below is 10/22mag and a S&W model 51

E3952387-A589-4340-A8C6-69655FF585DF.jpeg

28E42164-6C09-4980-83E6-08B70A4266A2.jpeg

Agree 22mag serves a perfect role where 223 is too hot and 22LR not quite enough.  I have thought of toying with a hornet for same reasons.

I have a 17 HMR that shoots well, but, like you, still like the 22mag

Wish I would have bought a 10/22 mag when they came out.....but didn't.     Recently bought a CZ 512 in 22mag.....nice gun.

(Yeah, I really can't lay off the rimfire stuff.......but my personal range is only 80 yds, and in IL there is little use for center fire rifle,  so rimfires keep it fun, cheap, and fit my needs!)

17 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

Agree 22mag serves a perfect role where 223 is too hot and 22LR not quite enough.  I have thought of toying with a hornet for same reasons.

I have a 17 HMR that shoots well, but, like you, still like the 22mag

Wish I would have bought a 10/22 mag when they came out.....but didn't.     Recently bought a CZ 512 in 22mag.....nice gun.

(Yeah, I really can't lay off the rimfire stuff.......but my personal range is only 80 yds, and in IL there is little use for center fire rifle,  so rimfires keep it fun, cheap, and fit my needs!)

I had the same exact thoughts and picked up a CZ this past summer in 22 Hornet. More than .22mag and less than .223. Haven't shot much more than paper with it yet but she is tuned up and ready to role. Below is .22, 22mag, 22hornet, .223. Bottom pic is 2-3 shot groups prone off of a bipod at 100yds. Gun is all factory except scope.  That was factory ammo also.  

68FCBEBC-7B3D-4B00-8460-9D485CF4E152.jpeg

0AB76B64-1E1F-484E-8C5A-CE1F7CE0E527.jpeg

Archived