Older fwa tractors in mud and water? 1066, 5288, 7130, etc

I want another 4wd tractor. I'll fix my 4366 and it works great in the rice field but it's old and needs a backup. I would also like to have a loader on it so I can feed hay easier when my pastures fall out. Remember the ground doesn't normally freeze here.

This tractor will get used in water and mud. I want a 540 pto (I don't mind converting it).

A 1066 or similar would work but is becoming a collectors item.

I've always wanted a 4wd 5x88 since I got the brochure back in the early 80s. I would love a 5488 4wd but any would probably work. 

A magnum would fit the  bill as well. I'm concerned about all the electronics getting wet... 7120 4wd are rare so it would probably be a 7130 or similar.

A 2+2 won't work because I want a loader.

Of course I have no money to now so it's just dreaming at this point.

Facts, experiences and/or opinions?

Thx-Ace 

7120 FWA all over the place here. A 2wd would be a rare bird here. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, acem said:

I want another 4wd tractor. I'll fix my 4366 and it works great in the rice field but it's old and needs a backup. I would also like to have a loader on it so I can feed hay easier when my pastures fall out. Remember the ground doesn't normally freeze here.

This tractor will get used in water and mud. I want a 540 pto (I don't mind converting it).

A 1066 or similar would work but is becoming a collectors item.

I've always wanted a 4wd 5x88 since I got the brochure back in the early 80s. I would love a 5488 4wd but any would probably work. 

A magnum would fit the  bill as well. I'm concerned about all the electronics getting wet... 7120 4wd are rare so it would probably be a 7130 or similar.

A 2+2 won't work because I want a loader.

Of course I have no money to now so it's just dreaming at this point.

Facts, experiences and/or opinions?

Thx-Ace 

No productive input but I forgot to put these up, so you can look. I wish they were better but it was shoe horned in pretty tight . 

EA176F23-5006-448C-A175-79E89BCD8A92.jpeg

EEF832F5-7782-4725-B6BF-6379D7497E02.jpeg

2AE5E852-E65D-408D-B646-42EE0178A59C.jpeg

A20CAF98-A631-4504-8DF3-3689ADDE221C.jpeg

• Like 3

I have an MX170 with a loader, MFD.  145 PTO hp, 540/100, shuttle reverser.  Haven’t gotten it stuck yet.  It will slog through mud and manure up to the belly and still push a bucket full of crap in front too heavy to lift.  One thing against them is they have kind of a low hanging rear main frame, surprises me it doesn’t get stuck quicker.  Those tractors should have something taller than the 18.4-42s that they usually have in North America.  20.8-42 gets the rear end up where it should be.

• Like 1

MX120-170 be nice loader.  But not best field worker.  The 150-170 are bigger and heavier.  We plowed 1000s of acres with our 165 5btm here....good work for our soils.  Was slippery though with 5 shares trying to steer it.  The 170-150 do have that goofy hitch thing making the tail low.  100-135 are much higher.  Gearclash is right....the 170 is like the last thing to get stuck it seems.  16.9r28/18.4r42 on mine.  The 7120 here are all mfd.  I have a clean 890 loader for one for sale even!  So find a sq magnum and youll be set!

Maybe since dreaming....a brand new Puma 185 with a loader be nice.  I like mine.  

A 4x4 Magnum is going to be very close to the same price as the other mentioned tractors above. Duals and big tall wide rubber and it might pull more than the 4366 . Loader is probably easier to find to fit the Magnum than the 88 series

• Like 1
9 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

MX120-170 be nice loader.  But not best field worker.  The 150-170 are bigger and heavier.  We plowed 1000s of acres with our 165 5btm here....good work for our soils.  Was slippery though with 5 shares trying to steer it.  The 170-150 do have that goofy hitch thing making the tail low.  100-135 are much higher.  Gearclash is right....the 170 is like the last thing to get stuck it seems.  16.9r28/18.4r42 on mine.  The 7120 here are all mfd.  I have a clean 890 loader for one for sale even!  So find a sq magnum and youll be set!

Maybe since dreaming....a brand new Puma 185 with a loader be nice.  I like mine.  

Off topic.

My MX170 had that same tire combination on it.  I found out that is actually a mismatch in front to rear ratios.  If the rear tires are 18.4-42, the front should be 14.9-28, not 16.9.  Or if the front is 16.9-28 (or the 480/70R30 that I switched to) then the rear should be 20.8-42 or 18.4-46.  Always wondered why the front was trying to lead the rear so bad with the MFD engaged on the MX170, while the MX150 is perfectly matched.  Turns out they both had a front that was in the same RCI group while the rear on the MX170 was a group smaller than the rear on the MX150.  Trying to get the bigger tires on the rear of the MX170 now as those tractors benefit from taller wider tires for my use.  Can’t find OEM style 18x42 rims for them though.  Looks like I am going to have to widen a 16” rim.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

You sold your 8930 so you dont need the 890 ?

3 hours ago, 1480x3 said:

He still has the 8930 but got rid of the 7140 and ..... I forget what other one left 

Years ago (1956) some of our family, back in South Carolina,  decided to log cypress from a 500 acre swamp, the only machine they found that worked in that mess was a light weight crawler with high  flotation tracks.  A Little Deere 320 tractor, with a winch,  practically floated in mud.  Not powerful enough for much more than snaking a log BUT never require outside assistance to rescue from the mud. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, 1480x3 said:

No no..  8930 is the big tillage and back up mixer tractor

When the 7140 broke we got a 2010 Mag210cvt with a loader.  Well the Alo loaders (we have 2 others) are so much better than a GB/890 no one even wanted to put the 890 back on the 8930 to stack corn.  Its all we used it for anyways.  Kinda slow and a brute.  Greattt for stacking silage...not so much loading a silage truck etc.  

1 hour ago, TroyDairy said:

No no..  8930 is the big tillage and back up mixer tractor

When the 7140 broke we got a 2010 Mag210cvt with a loader.  Well the Alo loaders (we have 2 others) are so much better than a GB/890 no one even wanted to put the 890 back on the 8930 to stack corn.  Its all we used it for anyways.  Kinda slow and a brute.  Greattt for stacking silage...not so much loading a silage truck etc.  

I wish that 890 was closer to here .....

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. I'm really just dreaming but you never know what might happen!

I expect the 5x88 and magnum front axles are tough.

What about the 66/86 front axles?

I will stress them in the mud, see my 4366 axle thread.

Thx-Ace 

Ace

Dont know if it matters or not, but the 50 series and magnums are a lot heavier than the 86/66 series are.  The 50s and magnums also have tougher internals, including front ends (mfd axle). I know you said there is a hardpan underneath, but many people have said that their 86 or 66 series would go through soft spots that their 50 series fell through and got stuck.   I dont know a thing about rice growing or your soils, so this may not be pertinent, but I felt you should at least hear about it.   Take care and good luck, hope the future brightens up for you.

9 hours ago, 1480x3 said:

Trucks heading east everyday.

Its a looonngg way...have most of what the loaders worth in getting it here and not as many deals as down south, etc to put a whole load together. 

On the topic of axles, as a 4wd I wouldn't consider a 66 or 86 good for what you want to do with it, if something happens to the axle parts are hard to find and they have a fair amount of value.   

Good 88 series especially 4wds seem to hold their value well enough that they are priced close enough to a magnum to be worth spending the little more for the magnum.

The bigger magnums have a 4 pin planetary in the front axle vs 3 in the smaller ones, I'm not sure that you necessarily would need one or the other. 

• Like 1
On 12/5/2020 at 6:59 AM, 706 German said:

Four MFWD magnums on bigiron in Arkansas that sell this Wednesday. Bet they will sell for 10-20k in their  condition. 

I would like to get a few for that price ....

• Like 1
18 hours ago, 1480x3 said:

Trucks heading east everyday.

19 hours ago, Super A_sepa said:

Same. Don't see too many of them around here it seems.

Funny is we looked high n lo.  Finally Craigslist NE IA we found one.  Guy bought a 8920 for planting and took loader off the day it showed up.  Sat for year or so he said and finally decided to sell it.  Iirc i paid him 8k...it needs 2-3zerks/pins knocked out and cleaned up since they wont take grease.  I got rest working well.  Only stacked 4 or 5 seasons and just put it on for corn.  Each season I get 1 more zex cleared up.  Nothings wore oit but I think thensitting "gummed" up the grease. I get some 90wt over the offending pins with a old oil can.  It only on about 50hr a year.  Oh well its alot better than the 3pt back rack we had before.

Anyway, local guy (jockey/dealer an he is from NW IA) has a truck about 3x a month from the I states.  Gets alot from sales there.  So we waited few weeks and he made room for it on frt of trailer.  Joystick/mounts/loader/bucket all palleted up.  Guy did exactly like he said.  Iirc 1000 bucks to get here since LTL.  We got it all on...after many naughty words we had to bring to dealer.  I dont remember but we had a signal line hooked up to wrong port or something like that.  Like a 15m fix.  The CIH copy of install directions were pretty vauge and photos mainly.  Its a little slow esp vs a Alo/Quicke variant.  But for what we did it was fine.  Locally I have 0 idea who to sell to.  We are prob only magnum guys i can think off.  An we should of just bought the 7150 and 7120 2wd we looked at for the mixer and field work..... the 210 is nice and quiet and fast and easy to operate but...code this..sensor that and we only have had 9m and 400hr maybe.  Frustrating to say the least.  The code and such are getting farther an fewer but drive you nuts since you cant do anything about them.   Cousin has small shop.  He hired guy from a large NH dealer in AB...way up country...and he is a great tech AND mechanic.  So they got a CNH scan laptop and related things to scan/diagnose the 185 and 210.  Few more locally showing up (maxxums and farmalls mainly) and the dealer has 1 guy in shop and 3 week wait so cousin is killing it now.  Good farm kids so they get it.  

Anyway, someone buy a trailer in W WA and ill bring the loader to somewhere and meet Tim somewhere and everyone can be happy!

• Haha 1

The 4366 will out pull a magnum in muddy slop. I have pulled out my neighbors  fwa mx285 that was stuck. The mx285 has more horsepower but I the 4366 has more flotation or something. It's really well balanced in the mud.

However I want a fwa for other duties and as a backup. 

I'm very knowledgeable with the 06-86 tractors. The basic tractor is not harmed by the mud/slop since it's basically mechanical. However the 4wd is expensive for what it is and i expect is weak compared to the 5x88 and magnums.

I'm reasonably confident with the 5x88, I have a 5488 2wd. The tractors have electronics under the cab that could be harmed by mud/slop but they seem to be waterproofed well. The fwa is strong. 

I'm unfamiliar with the magnums in operation. They seem to have alot of electronics that could be harmed by mud/slop. The fwa is strong and power shift would be handy.

Is this assessment about right?

Thx-Ace