Broke axle off my 4366 rolling rice

acem

The axles and entire assembly is derived from the 1066. Basically it has the rear axle from a 1066 as the front and back axles. 

I mostly use this tractor in flooded or muddy rice fields. It's primarily job is rolling rice stubble. Sometimes I squeeze up levies, etc. It sometimes does tillage.

These pics are from a few years ago.

Thx-Ace

IMGP6735.JPG.cd0c1278d3a35c84c2ab5e5066ffecaf.JPGIMGP6738.JPG.7eb9718e701cfc03622ebae149beb7c6.JPGIMGP6739.JPG.28cae0e7ddafab51b5a2e614ca5db6cc.JPG

• Like 1

The Axials final drives with the 3 bolt plate were known to break as well. Hard on the grain tanks sheet metal. 

2 minutes ago, cedar farm said:

The Axials final drives with the 3 bolt plate were known to break as well. Hard on the grain tanks sheet metal. 

Deere combines can break axles too and do that type of carnage. Neighbor broke the left axle on a 9600 5 years ago running beans. Screwed up everything around it. Couldn't even open the door of the cab because the ladder jammed the door.

Ace, having never seen rice being grown or know anything about it, does the rice fields have a good hard bottom under the water? Just by looking at pictures it would seem to me that even a 4366 would struggle pulling a roller or anything through the slop?

• Like 2

I've had both makes break final drive axles my 1460 broke the left side caused sheet metal damage but no other extensive damage My 7720 also broke on the right side taking out the hydro belts and the return elevator both time it was on hard dry ground harvesting wheat 

41 minutes ago, cedar farm said:

the two piece splined axles were the worst for that after mine broke I replaced the other side with the heavier solid axle 

4 hours ago, cedar farm said:

Yup - the other side was the newer forged axle already when I got this machine.

The hardest part was getting it back up in the air and stable. This happened close to a ravine and it took a lot of wood to get a solid enough base to lift it.

Luckily the housing landed inside the rim when it fell and it didn't go all the way down.

I had to replace the bottom piece of tin work and I put a newer drive off of a 1680 on - it wasn't horribly expensive thankfully. 

It was just a lot of work by myself.

IMG_20201029_1208503.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I got the tractor out of the field today. I'll post pics later.

The rice fields have a hardpan under the topsoil, otherwise they won't hold water! You can't flood a rice paddy of sand. Clay through silt loam work best. Mine are clay.

However, like fresh concrete. The more you work it the soupier it gets. If you mess around too much in the same spot you can sink!

I rolled some this afternoon with my 1066 dualed up. It's easy to roll with the 4366. You'll have to be an operator when using the 1066!

Thx-Ace 

6 hours ago, acem said:

The axles and entire assembly is derived from the 1066. Basically it has the rear axle from a 1066 as the front and back axles. 

I mostly use this tractor in flooded or muddy rice fields. It's primarily job is rolling rice stubble. Sometimes I squeeze up levies, etc. It sometimes does tillage.

These pics are from a few years ago.

Thx-Ace

IMGP6735.JPG.cd0c1278d3a35c84c2ab5e5066ffecaf.JPGIMGP6738.JPG.7eb9718e701cfc03622ebae149beb7c6.JPGIMGP6739.JPG.28cae0e7ddafab51b5a2e614ca5db6cc.JPG

Very interesting Ace! I guess you don’t have to worry about getting rained out with that job!

Here we have picked up the back of the 4366 with the 1066. My wife slowly drove the 4366 forward while I backed up the 1066 to keep her from dragging. Kinda like crutches.

Photo0559.jpg

The next pic shows her on the road. She will stay there until I move her to the shop area.

Photo0563.jpg

The last pic is my 826 carrying the duals on the bale forks.

Photo0558.jpg

Thx-Ace 

Edited by FarmallFan
Rotated images
  • Like 4

nope...no way you'd get away with that around me.....once the ground color goes from a light color to a darker color you better be steering away from the darker color or you'll never find bottom.  planted a 7110 fwa once down to the belly without ever spinning a tire, front weights were sitting on the ground an the drawbar was close to a foot under ground, it just dropped down.

• Like 1

The roller almost always rolls. If i get a bunch of stubble balled up in front it can plug but that's rare.

Years ago I had a guy rolling rice with the 4366. He got a plug of stubble in front of the roller. He didn't notice it until it had grown up under the tractor and caused it to high center (this takes some time). He called me saying he stuck the big tractor. I took my 1066 and pulled the roller back out of the way. Then I pulled the 4366 backwards and it was free.

I can leave equipment out in the paddy. It won't sink if it's shut off.  Movement or even vibrations can cause problems.

This type of work is one reason our tractors, etc get in bad shape.

Thx-Ace 

On 12/4/2020 at 5:37 PM, acem said:

Here we have picked up the back of the 4366 with the 1066. My wife slowly drove the 4366 forward while I backed up the 1066 to keep her from dragging. Kinda like crutches.

The next pic shows her on the road. She will stay there until I move her to the shop area.

The last pic is my 826 carrying the duals on the bale forks.

Thx-Ace 

Photo0559.jpg

Photo0563.jpg

Photo0558.jpg

I would think it would be easy to pick up the tractor while it's upside down like that! 

• Haha 1