Monthly drivers rant

I have been hauling seed corn to Iowa off and on since September. I am sure that different people take turns at jacking me around. 
Tuesday, it was the freight companies turn. About the time I would get a run at a hill on I80, one of the jerks would pull out to pass the truck he had been following for the last 20 miles. Wouldn’t be any real big deal if they would just pass, but you get a 59 mph truck passing a 57mph truck. 23 miles of that. GRRRR

Yesterday, it was the cars turn. Had 1 that hung right on my left rear corner. Back far enough that I could safely pull out, but close enough that when we came to a hill he was going to go around me. We came up behind a 65 mph truck and I pulled out and passed. The car probably had to trip his cruise off, but I never really slowed him down. Anyway I get back over in the right lane, he goes past and waved with a single finger. 
I don’t understand why it’s such a big deal to tap your brakes in a car, but you expect a truck to slow down and have to rebuild the speed. 100 miles later the waver got off the interstate and I was able to watch him. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been saying for years, student drivers should be required to ride in a semi for a week before getting their license!! Maybe they would have a little more respect for trucks.

People are morons.

Nice to know that the "slow" truck is just as annoyed as the driver stuck behind both of them. I'm not one of those euro-apologists, but one thing the Germans clearly have figured out is highways

Posted Images

I've been saying for years, student drivers should be required to ride in a semi for a week before getting their license!! Maybe they would have a little more respect for trucks.

• Like 8
11 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

...but you get a 59 mph truck passing a 57mph truck. 23 miles of that. GRRRR

Nice to know that the "slow" truck is just as annoyed as the driver stuck behind both of them.

I'm not one of those euro-apologists, but one thing the Germans clearly have figured out is highways. Their highway laws are very toothy and their driver education is more involved than ours. As a result the highways are so much more functional. Slower cars are on the right, you pass on the left, then get back over. It's a major ticket for riding in the left lane when people want to pass, and it's a more major ticket for passing on the right. Also, on the highway, vehicles have speed limits, not the a one size fits all limit for everyone on an otherwise high speed safe highway. A bus may be limited to 100kmh whereas your everyday sedan is unlimited -or limited to the driver's ability.

Contrary to what people think, not all highways are unlimited there. Only the places where it's safe to do so. It helps that their highways are in MUCH better shape than ours. They also have weather dependent limits -slower when the road is wet. But, when the people who can be faster, and whose vehicles are faster, can get up and go, it helps that whole 2 mph differential thing.

Every time I'm on the road I say "I miss Germany". That and their alcohol laws (16 to drink, no "open container in public" law, 0.00 BAC while driving) are that things I think they have figured out WAY better than us. On the balance of things though, it's a USA blowout.

I wanna close by saying thank you to the guys that drive. I don't think enough credit is given to the guys in trucks. EVERYTHING would stop without trucks and truckers. In addition to time away from home, the drivers truly make a health sacrifice to keep our economy and civilization moving (pun!) with all the bad food and sedentary work.

• Like 5
56 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

I have been hauling seed corn to Iowa off and on since September. I am sure that different people take turns at jacking me around. 
Tuesday, it was the freight companies turn. About the time I would get a run at a hill on I80, one of the jerks would pull out to pass the truck he had been following for the last 20 miles. Wouldn’t be any real big deal if they would just pass, but you get a 59 mph truck passing a 57mph truck. 23 miles of that. GRRRR

Yesterday, it was the cars turn. Had 1 that hung right on my left rear corner. Back far enough that I could safely pull out, but close enough that when we came to a hill he was going to go around me. We came up behind a 65 mph truck and I pulled out and passed. The car probably had to trip his cruise off, but I never really slowed him down. Anyway I get back over in the right lane, he goes past and waved with a single finger. 
I don’t understand why it’s such a big deal to tap your brakes in a car, but you expect a truck to slow down and have to rebuild the speed. 100 miles later the waver got off the interstate and I was able to watch him. 

I'm getting to really despise driving on I80.  Way too busy for a 4 lane.  Too many snail races between trucks.  Not the fault of the trucks, just not enough road for all the traffic any more.  Needs to be six lane across IA, for sure from DesMoines on east.  

I ran across town last night with my wife’s  small suv.  35mph 4 lanesthrough town. I usually run 37-38, and it shows, as we have those radar check mobile light plant style signs up allthe time and one was literally blinking 38mph at me.  I was in the left go fast lane as there are multiple fast food joints and such that slow traffic on the right. Well I must have been holding some hotrod in a slightly larger small suv up, as he sped up to swerve in and out to pass me on the right.  Waving a hard finger at me as he passed. Then he hit the same traffic 500’ ahead, and was stuck at 37-38mph, in a 35, just like the rest of us.  I drive that same route at same time, 3-4 nights a week in my pickup, never get a finger. Ever.  Guy had a distinct window sticker I’ll remember.  He might get a brake check from a superduty if I see him again. 

Just yesterday I was driving on I-65 south of Indianapolis. I came up behind a much slower semi. Left lane was clear way back so I pull out and pass. (I was running 72 by my GPS while passing. I had an SUV or Crossover or whatever they call them come up behind me running in excess of 90 easily (speed limit is 70) so before I clear the one in the right lane I turn my right turn signal on to let everyone know my intentions. Right lane driver flashed his lights so I start my move but 4 wheeler decides to pass on my right also. He was only maybe 3-4 feet from the other truck and about the same to me. I continued my lane change causing the speedy driver to make moves only seen in NASCAR. Hopefully they got to their destination without killing anyone. Running that speed, they probably get there about 10 minutes quicker than if they run the posted speed limit.

• Confused 1

I-71 Cincinnati to Louisville has to be the worst for governed trucks hogging both lanes.

30 years ago Arkansas had a program to even up pavement wear on the interstates. They asked you to drive on the left and pass on the right. It caused alot of confusion and didn't last long. It was only on the interstates. Thx-Ace 

• Confused 1
3 minutes ago, acem said:

30 years ago Arkansas had a program to even up pavement wear on the interstates. They asked you to drive on the left and pass on the right. It caused alot of confusion and didn't last long. It was only on the interstates. Thx-Ace 

I remember that. As a kid riding with my dad down south to get a load of cattle. Right lane was rough and they had signs up leaving the scales to run the left lane. It was smoother anyway but we’d get flipped off pretty regular from cars for not getting over. 

My pet peeve and it is minor but it is mine. 

Coming up on 83 I can see headlights coming up on me fast, really fast and then they just hang on my azz usually with their bright lights on and will not pass me. 

I can slow down to 50 or speed up to 75 and they will not leave me. Now, my eyes take a beating at night. (last month I drove 26 nights) and with the new led headlights and idiots waiting till they see you to dim instead of the other side of the hill before cresting it is getting worse.

I usually lean forward and in until I am out of the glare which is not comfortable for 40 miles. I could move my mirrors out but really hate having them out of adjustment as I use them a lot and cannot stand not being able to see my trailer. Hot brake on a fuel transport is bad juju.  

I just can't understand why, if they are in such a hurry before they catch up to me, why are they not anymore. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Coming up on 83 I can see headlights coming up on me fast, really fast and then they just hang on my azz usually with their bright lights on and will not pass me. 

I can slow down to 50 or speed up to 75 and they will not leave me. Now, my eyes take a beating at night. (last month I drove 26 nights) and with the new led headlights and idiots waiting till they see you to dim instead of the other side of the hill before cresting it is getting worse.

I usually lean forward and in until I am out of the glare which is not comfortable for 40 miles. I could move my mirrors out but really hate having them out of adjustment as I use them a lot and cannot stand not being able to see my trailer. Hot brake on a fuel transport is bad juju.  

I just can't understand why, if they are in such a hurry before they catch up to me, why are they not anymore. 

People are morons.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

I just take my foot off the gas. they don't pass... don't pass... and eventually I'm doing 55 and they have had enough. and I smile they rip by.

Just now, KWRB said:

I just take my foot off the gas. they don't pass... don't pass... and eventually I'm doing 55 and they have had enough. and I smile they rip by.

I have had them follow me for miles at 50. I don't have that kinda time to dick with em.

That's what I don't get, they gotta be doin 80 when they come up on me. Why don't they just go around. 

Oh well, just gotta let it go. I can't change them, only my reaction to them. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, cobfly said:

People are morons.

And they are EVERYWHERE. We need the left lane to exit to our road home. We have them almost stop behind us instead of moving to the empty right hand lane. Scarier yet is when they don't see you because of the damn cell phone.

• Like 1

We have a couple semis for farm use, but I'm definitely not an over the road driver. Have also been behind 2 governed trucks, one trying to pass the other. Would it be so hard to back off and let truck 2 pass truck 1 then govern it out again, just to improve traffic flow and safety?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, sandhiller said:

I have had them follow me for miles at 50. I don't have that kinda time to dick with em.

That's what I don't get, they gotta be doin 80 when they come up on me. Why don't they just go around. 

Oh well, just gotta let it go. I can't change them, only my reaction to them. 

Mount some backup lights on the trailer you can flip on. I have a set of 359 headlights mounted on my pot for backing up, unloading on a dark farm, or showing people how to dim their lights when they forget. Have it on 2 switches for high and low beam to. Haven’t used them in years and one has a light broke out but when I first did that years ago I got a lot of comments. 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Tmtbob said:

Mount some backup lights on the trailer you can flip on. I have a set of 359 headlights mounted on my pot for backing up, unloading on a dark farm, or showing people how to dim their lights when they forget. Have it on 2 switches for high and low beam to. Haven’t used them in years and one has a light broke out but when I first did that years ago I got a lot of comments. 

I have seriously thought of that. Some small LED's mounted in the right place would get their attention. Don't think DOT could bark if I said they were just back up lights. 

It’s not just automobiles or trucks. Last night I had to go down US6 from Fairmont to Hastings. Come up on a guy taking a tractor and I think chisel down the road at dark thirty. He had every field light on. Could NOT SEE THE EQUIPMENT nor the road. I know he thought I could see him better that way, that’s the most dangerous thing a farmer can do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

It’s not just automobiles or trucks. Last night I had to go down US6 from Fairmont to Hastings. Come up on a guy taking a tractor and I think chisel down the road at dark thirty. He had every field light on. Could NOT SEE THE EQUIPMENT nor the road. I know he thought I could see him better that way, that’s the most dangerous thing a farmer can do. 

Man you ain't kiddin'. Looks like a dang UFO out in the field.

4 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Ok I'm not being cheeky but what about slow down to a stoopid speed, 30 or 40, or would that screw with your hills or schedule?

The thing for me is the salute, I get it when someone cuts me off and I honk at them, that makes more pissed than the infraction, I know it aint right but I'm usually 10 over and use the passing lane just for that.

49 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

I have seriously thought of that. Some small LED's mounted in the right place would get their attention. Don't think DOT could bark if I said they were just back up lights. 

I doubt they would say anything as long as they don’t catch you learning someone.  They never said a thing to me and mine are obviously headlights. Around here a lot of the salt water tankers have lights mounted all over them for unloading in dark disposal sights. Think they ran them trucks 24 hrs in 12 hr shifts

• Like 2