Something to ponder

sandhiller

3 minutes ago, Craig61019 said:

That ad was probably designed by a college graduate ?

In the same vein:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/80-millennials-say-dont-know-change-light-bulb-090939560.html#:~:text=More than 80% of millennials,to change a light bulb&text=Most millennials don't know,completing the relatively simple task.

More than 80% of millennials say they don’t know how to change a light bulb

I would take a wild guess, and say that they also do NOT know how to tie their shoes.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Craig61019 said:

That ad was probably designed by a college graduate ?

Engineering student at that. ??

50 minutes ago, 12_Guy said:

But let’s get rid of shop class because we don’t need to be teaching that stuff. 
Sadly basic understanding of how simple things work escapes most people these days. 

Trade school grad would not be allowed to fix it no bs degree

No reason that they couldn't work.  The picture doesn't show the gear width or their offset on the shafts...  Two gears could be thin and one of them wide; add an offset between the two thin gears and you'd be in business...  Sorry; the engineer in me just couldn't resist... :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, chadd said:

No reason that they couldn't work.  The picture doesn't show the gear width or their offset on the shafts...  Two gears could be thin and one of them wide; add an offset between the two thin gears and you'd be in business...  Sorry; the engineer in me just couldn't resist... :)

that and no one said how long it would work, it would work great after you stripped the teeth off one of the small gears if in fact they are running together 

• Like 1

Wonder whats going to happen soon when most of the class of 21 has to take the ACT or SAT? I expect colleges to minimize it eventually as a requirement when they find out how much was missed since March.

7 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

In the same vein:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/80-millennials-say-dont-know-change-light-bulb-090939560.html#:~:text=More than 80% of millennials,to change a light bulb&text=Most millennials don't know,completing the relatively simple task.

I would take a wild guess, and say that they also do NOT know how to tie their shoes.

This is true !!!

We got a job one time on small jiblet that had a slot in it, they had the slot with an unbelieveably tight tolerance on it.................You couldn't hold it unless you ground it essentially.  Boss called the engineer at the company it was for and asked him, is this right?................TOTALLY RIGHT He said.  So we went back to try and figure out a way to fight it.  Old fart who should have been in charge told the boss he was going to call.  Boss said go ahead I talked to him, he won't tell you any different.  Old fart plopped himself at our cruddy shop desk, lit up a cigar, propped up his size 12's on the desk, dialed the engineers direct number.  Engineer picked up, old fart told him who he was and he made up some big goofy title, the whole nine yards...................He said, "Hey the reason I am calling is we were just wondering what this slot on print #_-_- is for?"  The engineer said, "Oh, its a screw driver slot to turn it with a tool into the part you make on print #-_-_"   Then to top it off the old fart said, "Oh, ok, we were just worried we weren't getting a good enough surface finish on it, but it should be ok"  As serious as you please.  Needless to say when he hung up the phone he smiled, took a big puff on his cigar, "Boy's just go run that SOB!"  Ended up running it right in the vertical machining center with the rest of the operations and made good money on it.  How they were going to get a screw driver in something with zero clearance is beyond me, ask screwdriver heads aren't made to that tight of tolerance, but they clearly never checked it in inspection.  Old Fart Mike never had much formal training but he sure as heck knew his way around in the machining world, maybe it was the cigars?  I sure as heck would have bust out laughing talking to that wing nut, he was a calm as a cucumber, then finishing it off about the surface finish and didn't even chuckle.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

In the same vein:

Or pull up their pants

17 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

I don’t see a problem?  It’s in park!

?

Unfortunately, that statement is true in more ways than one.

2 hours ago, Delta88 said:

Wonder whats going to happen soon when most of the class of 21 has to take the ACT or SAT? I expect colleges to minimize it eventually as a requirement when they find out how much was missed since March.

I heard from my buddy with high school kids they are waiving the requirements for SAT and such for most schools, might be true

?    Yep them hillbilly redneck kids that score low on SAT are the hardest ones to get to eat ? the cheese. College doesn't want them. ? The the ones with good ebonics and jive from the hood, no changes needed. ?