In The Beginning They Were Twin-City

• Art From Coleman changed the title to In The Beginning They Were Twin-City

I wonder how that young kid who was heaving those axles on all day back turned out.

Talking to a MM expert years ago it was the uni-system that destroyed MM's finances. Horribly underpowered.  MM had even developed a V-4 engine just for the Uni. Madison, SD threshing bee featured MM a few years back. Had a few Uni's there. I had worked on a number of 700 series New Idea uni's when I was a mechanic. Hated them with a passion of a 1000 suns. The MM uni didn't look any better to me

It is my understanding the MM Uni-system with the V-4 engine was a Z tractor engine with the blocks and heads on a V crankcase. not all ideas by a company are the best. they made at least one with a manure spreader attachment, it threw the shi!! to the front, (you drove into it), ( there's a video of it somewhere), not a good idea. someone still has it.  If I'm thinking correctly, the MM company was taken over by someone who bought the company specifically to raid its saved monetary resources and employee pensions.  If I'm thinking, remembering correctly, that was the demise of the company.  

31 minutes ago, Fred B said:

If I'm thinking correctly, the MM company was taken over by someone who bought the company specifically to raid its saved monetary resources and employee pensions.  If I'm thinking, remembering correctly, that was the demise of the company.  

You are correct, it was White Motor company.

Funny the manure shot forward. When Roorda spreader mfg sold out and became Roda the new owners attempted to change the Roorda stigma from being an unloader to a spreader. We sold a few when they came out with a new beater system. They soon came back. 3/4's went out the back. 1/4 went forward to the back of the cab. One guy returned it still attached to his 7130 as proof. What a mess.

Dad had a wide front UB special propane burner. Wasnt too bad an old tractor. Used it on auger, manure spreader and sometimes the nh mower conditioner and 5 bar rake. Feed grinder now then also. Uncle Claude had several u's as well as 3 or 4 G1000s

I also have an M5 uncle had. Have posted pics before. Still needs a lot of love.

52 minutes ago, Farmall Doctor said:

I would love to find an original GVI diesel.

Years back there was a guy who had I believe a GVI propane that would come to tractor pulls, he pulled in 9500 pound naturally aspirated class against 4020s,966s,856s,930 case, etc. he would embarrass everyone, sounded like it was just idleing. That tractor was impressive, 4 tires, a really long hood and pretty much the rest of it was an enormous motor.

• Like 1