2pt fast hitch on a late 986?

acem

Interesting.  This has come up before on RPM.

I tend to agree with the old thread... last series offered with 2pt was the 66 series, and those are pretty rare.  The one in your picture has the old style crank handles.  I'd say it was transplanted. 

• Like 1

It's pretty damn easy to change from a 3-pt to 2-pt and just change the position of the rockshaft arms.... and cheaper to do than replace all of your 2-pt equipment with 3-point equipment....

I love it when someone says a 66 series cannot have 86 series 3-point lift links...many of those were changed when someone traded their 66 series in on a 86 series.

Neighbor of mine bought a new 986 and had his fast hitch from his 66 series that he traded in switched out with his new tractor... 

A lot of stuff has been changed around since these tractors were new 40-50 years ago. 

Travis

• Like 5

I love the ones that say, "can't have" too. As if the Fast Hitch Police are on patrol...

The mounting system for the 3pt hitches on these tractors is virtually unchanged from the first 706 through the last 3688 if I'm not mistaken.

Speaking of that, let's find a 3088 or similar with a Fast Hitch. I bet some heads will pop.

you could buy a fast hitch in a box as a field installation kit for quite a while after they were discontinued for factory installation the note in the price book said tractor must be equipped with draft control. it came in a wooden pallet or box.

I always thought the sway block set up on the fast hitch was far superior to the three point cam-sway mess. As a parts man I liked the cam sway for parts sales. Especially back in the cultivating days. I have a 3 point quick hitch on my 706's fast hitch. Works great with my White 378 cultivator. Very little side sway.

I have seen an 886 with 2 pt but it was probably swapped from something else. 

I sold a few of these hitch stabilizers 15 or so years ago when people did more cultivating. I still have a pair of Cat II that came off my 3688 when I sold it and a set off my 1206. Cat III. 

KIMG1173.thumb.JPG.fa7d8b97fac524afb33e3671b3c5a6f4.JPGKIMG1174.thumb.JPG.44b09a3df0015fd2154bc6ccc56a8d94.JPGKIMG1175.thumb.JPG.41629caad285cfc71b71f9e0b670dd53.JPG

• Like 2

Those stabilizers are sweet...........Ordered a set of new ones for the 1456 trying to keep a 3pt ripper sway to a minimum to run processing tomato rows with it.  Honestly like it better even than the late cam sway limiter 3pts like on the 88's myself, you can dial in exactly what you are after with these.

1 hour ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

I sold a few of these hitch stabilizers 15 or so years ago when people did more cultivating. I still have a pair of Cat II that came off my 3688 when I sold it and a set off my 1206. Cat III. 

KIMG1173.thumb.JPG.fa7d8b97fac524afb33e3671b3c5a6f4.JPGKIMG1174.thumb.JPG.44b09a3df0015fd2154bc6ccc56a8d94.JPGKIMG1175.thumb.JPG.41629caad285cfc71b71f9e0b670dd53.JPG

We had one of those on our 1066 for cultivating.  Worked really well. 

Whoever cut a hole in the dash to add that gauge should have his A$$ handed to him.  

And I would not trust those digital hour meters! :)

And 18K for a 986???   Yikes! 

Otherwise looks great! :) :)

1 minute ago, Sparky said:

Those digital hour meters are accurate.... Cable driven hour meters are only accurate at PTO speed...

Travis

If and when they work! :)

I didn't realize the old cable style only read true hours at PTO speed till a couple years ago.  :)  

My neighbors have a pair of 686 that were delivered new with fast hitch, three point, and no fenders. They have side lights as you would find on an early 06 with clamshell fenders. I can’t say for sure how they left the factory, except that at least one came with a wide front because my uncle put that wide front on his 706.

When the 66 series came out in this area lots of guys traded 806's and 856's in on 1066 hydros because they were hauling loader built loose hay stacks with farmhand stack movers and the hydro was the best. Dealer said he was ordering the 1066's in with cat 3 hitch convertible to cat 2 and would switch them out with new 966's he had ordered with fast hitches. When they all got in and they parked them side by side they discovered the dealer had not researched this out enough. In the end it was the beginning of the switch to 3 point in this area and everyone was happy. 

7 hours ago, B.B. said:

If and when they work! :)

I didn't realize the old cable style only read true hours at PTO speed till a couple years ago.  :)  

Got 3 digitals that have not worked for years, all my 06,56,66 cable style are working fine

11 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Made a couple sets similar to those out of stuff of the "iron pile". One on 186 and other on 806

19 hours ago, 1480x3 said:

Made a couple sets similar to those out of stuff of the "iron pile". One on 186 and other on 806

I've got a set of those I used on A 1486 when cultivating with a 12 row.  They are cat III.  I still got them but have no use now.

jerry

If I didn't have everything here with later style 3pts, I would be buying up those Klinger Manufacturing pieces from you guys.  They really work good.  When I bought the ones I have I called and talked to the owner himself, told him what I was doing and why I wanted them.  Wanted to send him a check and then he could send the kit, he said nope, I will send them, you try them first.  I ended up sending the check anyhow right away as I knew they would work, but that always stuck with me.  

39 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

If I didn't have everything here with later style 3pts, I would be buying up those Klinger Manufacturing pieces from you guys.  They really work good.  When I bought the ones I have I called and talked to the owner himself, told him what I was doing and why I wanted them.  Wanted to send him a check and then he could send the kit, he said nope, I will send them, you try them first.  I ended up sending the check anyhow right away as I knew they would work, but that always stuck with me.  

I put a set on my 806 this spring. It made a world of difference with the 10' 3 point disc mower. Ended all the sway I had before. He must make them to order because the paint was still tacky when I pulled the pieces out of the box. 

7 minutes ago, WishIhada1466 said:

I put a set on my 806 this spring. It made a world of difference with the 10' 3 point disc mower. Ended all the sway I had before. He must make them to order because the paint was still tacky when I pulled the pieces out of the box. 

Don't know, box I got appeared to be pretty dusty inside.  Probably not a huge demand for them now days, but I guess now that was 15 years ago...............