Jump to content

Recommended Posts

The 26wx12d multi drawer top boxes used to be the gold standard, now they can’t hardly be found anywhere, everyone is making 18” or 24” deep boxes. Probably great for the garage but they don’t fit in my utility body.  
i found craftsman at lowes, don't have one nearby so I would have to order. Anyone have experience with the 2000 series? 
https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-2000-Series-26-in-W-x-19-75-in-H-5-Drawer-Steel-Tool-Chest-Red/1002481402?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-tol-_-google-_-lia-_-151-_-toolstorage-_-1002481402-_-0&placeholder=null&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzZL-BRDnARIsAPCJs72kWKIXna5rsZQ1cbtHLkaUZhz3DnA1yHnKujwFExe9C1kx1wDoVCQaAvhVEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Link to post
Share on other sites

And I though I was the only that values the box about as well as the tools in it.

This area is saturated with Lowe's, and they are stocking up for Christmas shopping. They sell Craftsman and Kobalt (They are rapidly moving to Craftsman), I buy whichever is available. Appears tools  are mostly made in Taiwan.  Surprised to see the USA made box!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

The 26wx12d multi drawer top boxes used to be the gold standard, now they can’t hardly be found anywhere, everyone is making 18” or 24” deep boxes. Probably great for the garage but they don’t fit in my utility body.  
i found craftsman at lowes, don't have one nearby so I would have to order. Anyone have experience with the 2000 series? 
https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-2000-Series-26-in-W-x-19-75-in-H-5-Drawer-Steel-Tool-Chest-Red/1002481402?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-tol-_-google-_-lia-_-151-_-toolstorage-_-1002481402-_-0&placeholder=null&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzZL-BRDnARIsAPCJs72kWKIXna5rsZQ1cbtHLkaUZhz3DnA1yHnKujwFExe9C1kx1wDoVCQaAvhVEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Made in the USA with "global components", which probably means the decal was applied here in the US of A.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

Made in the USA with "global components", which probably means the decal was applied here in the US of A.

Years ago in the Post Exchange I bought a name brand battery powered electric razor to use in while deployed. Took 2 AA batteries. Said "Made in the USA" on several places on the packaging. Open the battery compartment to put batteries in and there is a little sticker "Made in China". Pull the head off for cleaning? Another "Made in China" Sticker. Remington brand razor too. That was back when they were running the "I liked the razor so much I bought the company" ads.

Rick

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried looking at Waterloo tool boxes?  Coincidentally, I'm looking for a tool box for the tractor and saw that some Waterloo's are US-made and about the same size as you are looking for.  

Item Number: SCH-265BK-B

Product Dimensions: 26"W x 12"D x 17.5"H

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, EquipmentJunkie said:

Have you tried looking at Waterloo tool boxes?  Coincidentally, I'm looking for a tool box for the tractor and saw that some Waterloo's are US-made and about the same size as you are looking for.  

Item Number: SCH-265BK-B

Product Dimensions: 26"W x 12"D x 17.5"H

Who makes the Crapsman ones now?  My old Crapsman boxes are Waterloo's, when I bought it I was tired of the old regular draw slides on the cheapo Crapsman box my old man had(I actually still have it but it only holds stuff used infrequently) so I wanted ball bearings which was the "New" thing then.  Crapsman also had just brought out a pro line which was also Waterloo made..................at the time I couldn't afford those, but I did get my ball bearings.  Bought the top and bottom, ended up later getting a dented middle and side box at Sears too at a steep discount.  For as hard as I used them, I definitely can't complain, still look and work like new.  Also got one of the first Grip Latch boxes they made from my brother who's tools all went into his Cat Service truck, he had two, only needed one at home so I got the other one.  Keep all my Machinist tools in that one.  I believe Waterloo also made those ones.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

Who makes the Crapsman ones now?  My old Crapsman boxes are Waterloo's, when I bought it I was tired of the old regular draw slides on the cheapo Crapsman box my old man had(I actually still have it but it only holds stuff used infrequently) so I wanted ball bearings which was the "New" thing then.  Crapsman also had just brought out a pro line which was also Waterloo made..................at the time I couldn't afford those, but I did get my ball bearings.  Bought the top and bottom, ended up later getting a dented middle and side box at Sears too at a steep discount.  For as hard as I used them, I definitely can't complain, still look and work like new.  Also got one of the first Grip Latch boxes they made from my brother who's tools all went into his Cat Service truck, he had two, only needed one at home so I got the other one.  Keep all my Machinist tools in that one.  I believe Waterloo also made those ones.

I would actually really like the grip latch ones so i didn't have to have a keeper on every drawer, with the door shut they cant open but if its on a hill... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not sure what you are looking to spend but I have ag body and American eagle drawer packs in my old service truck. They aren't the cheapest but they are designed to bounce around in trucks and ag body will build to your specs. I have snap on masters series boxes in the truck in my avatar and they are not holding up too well. Hoping they make it through the winter and will order some replacements in the spring

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, 1466IH said:

I am not sure what you are looking to spend but I have ag body and American eagle drawer packs in my old service truck. They aren't the cheapest but they are designed to bounce around in trucks and ag body will build to your specs. I have snap on masters series boxes in the truck in my avatar and they are not holding up too well. Hoping they make it through the winter and will order some replacements in the spring

Those look real nice, currently this truck is 25 years old and 81k miles with a blown head gasket..i hope.. currently i am thinking craftsman quality will do for this body, and the next one will be a dually chassis. I will be keeping that in mind . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I would actually really like the grip latch ones so i didn't have to have a keeper on every drawer, with the door shut they cant open but if its on a hill... 

Do they still make them?  I haven't kept up with tool storage.  Honestly I used to look forward to the Crapsman yearly Catalogue in the land before the internet, also enjoyed going to Sears when I was dating my wife so you could actually touch what was in the book, and that was the about the only time I wasn't trying to play grab a$$ was where the tools were:P  And to think that is all gone now.................Lowe's and Hazard Fraught just aren't the same, sigh.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Who makes the Crapsman ones now?  My old Crapsman boxes are Waterloo's, when I bought it I was tired of the old regular draw slides on the cheapo Crapsman box my old man had(I actually still have it but it only holds stuff used infrequently) so I wanted ball bearings which was the "New" thing then.

We have a large, rolling Crapsman box and top box at work...it's close to 20 years old now.  It could be one of their Pro series built by Waterloo.  The ball bearing drawers work really well.  We bought a Crapsman Pro combination wrench set around the same time and they are quality wrenches.  No nonsense with very good quality chrome.  That is about that last thing we ever bought from that company.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The pro full chrome wrenches they made back then were nice.....................felt really good in the hand, but they got rid of those and squared off the edges on the next series, what a disappointment. Bad thing about tool trucks where I live is they won't screw around with one guy who might only buy once a month when they can go into certain parts of town and drive down the street shop to shop and sell every day.  Pickings were so good that even places like our old IH dealer where I worked for awhile they stopped coming because the sales per number of heads wasn't high enough.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mike newman said:

...amongst others I have a "Kennedy""  tool box....it is old ...still good and was made in America

....are they still in business...or is that a silly question ??

Mike

Kennedy is definitely still in business and geared towards machinists they make some nice high dollar boxes

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Snap on has never had lifetime warranty on boxes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Injpumped said:

Snap on has never had lifetime warranty on boxes. 

About year ago they gave me a new set of caster wheels for mine. He wasn't sure they would be right so ordered one, I measured bolt pattern to confirm. He said they was over 4 hundred bucks apiece. Also have had multiple lock-n-roll latches replaced with no questions asked. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CIHTECH said:

About year ago they gave me a new set of caster wheels for mine. He wasn't sure they would be right so ordered one, I measured bolt pattern to confirm. He said they was over 4 hundred bucks apiece. Also have had multiple lock-n-roll latches replaced with no questions asked. 

I've had the drawer slides replaced and the gas struts replaced under warranty.

The first couple of sets of gas struts would NOT hold the lid up after a few months, until Snap on did some checking and found that there was a heavy duty version that should have been used as the replacements, installed them and problem solved.

Sounds like you had literally ran the wheels off of yours.

Link to post
Share on other sites

certain components on them can be warrantied, but overall, it's not technically a "bumper to bumper" warranty. A great rep also makes a big difference!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...