the amish and sunday services

hello just went outside to check something in the barn, temperature is about 18 degrees, amish family across the road had the service today, so tonight all the open top buggys are going by for the sing along, usually can hear them pretty good during summer,  i wonder dont they get cold? wind is blowing strong out of the north also. guys usually always wear their hats, very little ear protection , women and girls of course their bonnets, the whole thing looks cold to me, and when the service is done how can they tell the difference in their black coats?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Faith keeps them warm 

• Like 2

They endure some cold in order to worship. At every mention of Amish I find myself saying that we could learn a lot from them. There's so much snark about the Amish but they seem happy and their families seem functional, which is more than many can say.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

Good and bad in them just like every one . Most are good people some are not . Saw a Amish man I knew sitting on side of road I stopped to see if he was ok he was very drunk in middle of day I took him home . The only problem I have had with them is they used to borrow my wagons and when I needed them I’d have to track them down . They don’t ask any more . 

No Amish round here. It gets awful hot here without electricity. 

Some Mennonites though. They use cars, trucks and air-conditioning. I find them hard to do business with.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, ky966boy said:

Good and bad in them just like every one . Most are good people some are not . Saw a Amish man I knew sitting on side of road I stopped to see if he was ok he was very drunk in middle of day I took him home . The only problem I have had with them is they used to borrow my wagons and when I needed them I’d have to track them down . They don’t ask any more . 

Grew up in Amish country, not in the nice pristine Mennonite country that people associate with Amish. There's a big difference there. Like every group of people there are good ones and bad ones. When I first saw the OP my first thought was "they're so drunk they won't feel the cold on the way home". They were well known to have church service and imbibe with the whiskey after in our area then let the horses drive them home (designated driver??).

The first thing we were told by another "white person" when we moved there was not to let them use your telephone. Once you let it happen once the word gets out and they entire clan thinks it's fair game whenever they want. 

One year I remember their elder asking if they could hunt our woods during deer hunting. Thinking they would do a couple drives or sit on the ground for the most part my Dad agreed. Two days later their entire group is out in our woods with horses pulling in a 20' tall stand alone tree stand made of old telephone poles and green treat plywood and cutting down trees to get the stand into position. My Dad let them get it into position and promptly told them to go away and never come back. They picked a good location though as I shot a bunch of deer from that stand growing up.

Jesse

• Haha 2

what i see here in central wis. is an abundance of weld  fabrication shops, building just about anything and evrything, there could be 5 more and there wouls still be enough work, lots of builders, furniture and so on, it seems that what we need to continue farming they have, many other businesses , greenhouses to no end and so one, i guess if i was a builder trying to compete with them then i understand there is a problem, i dont think they are leaving anytime soon either, have redone a lot of farms in the clark and marathon county area, i see silo and milking equipment dealers starting up. in fact most of the feeding equipment guys are owned by them,

30 minutes ago, pt756 said:

what i see here in central wis. is an abundance of weld  fabrication shops, building just about anything and evrything, there could be 5 more and there wouls still be enough work, lots of builders, furniture and so on, it seems that what we need to continue farming they have, many other businesses , greenhouses to no end and so one, i guess if i was a builder trying to compete with them then i understand there is a problem, i dont think they are leaving anytime soon either, have redone a lot of farms in the clark and marathon county area, i see silo and milking equipment dealers starting up. in fact most of the feeding equipment guys are owned by them,

My parents live in Taylor County so we're talking about the same area generally. I think what you are seeing is Mennonite clusters. Mennonites farms and businesses are very different in appearance from the Amish. Mennonite farms and businesses are very well kept and maintained. Amish are quite the opposite.

I have a college friend that dairy farms north of Greenwood. I am always amazed at the large mix of Amish, Mennonite, and "white people" farms in that area. It's easy to see what group operates at any place you drive by.

2 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

Mennonites are the same, but they do it with new/big/modern equipment. 

....on steel wheels generally around here.

Lately they have come to the conclusion that if they lease the equipment they can leave the rubber on since they don't "own" it.

Not sure where this methodology is found in the Bible but I've got too much going on to think too deeply on it.

• Haha 1

We have had a bunch of Mennonites come into the area over the past 5 years or so. They have been paying top dollar for land, and have set up quite a few businesses. By and large they seem to be good people who generally do very good work at a fair price. Our big concern is that because they run their own school, the number of kids in our already small school will keep falling to the point that its tough to keep the school open. It will be interesting to see how many of them make it, on the price that they paid for their land. This heavy irrigated ground is very different to farm and not as productive as ground out east.

I have done business with both groups and done fine but I also know there are ones to watch for. Just like any group by race or religion they are not all what you perceive. They do deserve some respect for sticking with the lifestyle but they also have some secret cheats air power in replace of electric hired drivers etc.

Those hired drivers are so they can look at their cell phones going down the road.

• Haha 1

There are 2 different Mennonite Church groups here.  In Lancaster county the old order steel wheel families and then around here the black bumper families.  Like any group there are good and bad.  I have some black bumper guys i know that are great people.

14 hours ago, New Englander said:

Yuck

Problem is?

Also have you seen a Amish lady with her hair down before? My heart skips a beat every time

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Bgriffin856 said:

Problem is?

Also have you seen a Amish lady with her hair down before? My heart skips a beat every time

ROTFLMAO!!!   Their was a Mennonite family who rented a barn to milk cows west of me just over the county line.  They were part of the Mennonite Church but both him and her were "Outcasts",  Talking to them you got the REAL truth on things....................One time we were talking about one of the local businesses that some of the members of his church here had, I made the remark about how the one girl in her early 20's had to hide under the clothes they had to wear,  he smiled at his wife, who smiled back at him, he sat down on the house step and said, "Boy, you will like this story"...................On one week night, they got into a habit that his wife and neighbor girl milked and him and his son went fishing.  Well they went to a dammed up stream close by which behind the dam was fairly big, along with an area they hauled in sand for a beach.  Well they went fishing close by there as their was a nice parking lot and not far to walk.  Well, the one night they were fishing and he seen this girl in a black string bikini laying on her belly in the sun.  Mind you his wife was there when he was telling this, and he goes on............I was sneaking looks while trying pay attention to the little guy trying to fish and get the line into the water.  They finally got the line out there far enough and were waiting on a bite so they sat down in their chairs.  Next thing you know he said, out of the corner of my eye the girl sunning herself got up,  shoulder length brunette hair, tan, etc, etc.  She folds up her towel, gets her back and starts walking back to the parking lot going pretty close to where they were fishing.  As she got closer he started thinking, boy, she looks aweful familiar.  The closer she got the faster she went, trying to not look their way..........And he kept thinking, boy, she looks familiar?  He didn't think anymore about it and they packed up and came home that night.  He told his wife about it, she had some close friends in the church and she was telling them about it and one of them spilled it......................Here the girl I made the remark about was the one on the beach in the 2 piece black string bikini.  He told me I wouldn't have to wonder about why she has to hide in those clothes if you seen her in that.  He said that Church has never been quite the same when I start day dreaming, she told him, "Yeah, that is right, YOUR DREAMING!"  LOL

• Haha 2

jesse  i think the group you are talking about is what we call the HOLAWAY group. very backwards been there all my life. lots of shacky looking places, i understand that recently they were allowed to use chain saws and also hay balers with motors on, was hay loaders before, i think that there was  a fair amount of close relations getting married,