Craftsman ratchet repair parts

IH Forever

My Dad has an old Craftsman 3/8” drive that slips. He asked me to look on the internet for replacement parts since Sears stores are all gone. I know Blaine’s Farm Fleet, Ace Hardware, and others now have Craftsman. But I’m guessing they wouldn’t be much help on repair parts.

Can I still get this repaired or am I better off just buying him a new ratchet?

3 minutes ago, IH Forever said:

My Dad has an old Craftsman 3/8” drive that slips. He asked me to look on the internet for replacement parts since Sears stores are all gone. I know Blaine’s Farm Fleet, Ace Hardware, and others now have Craftsman. But I’m guessing they wouldn’t be much help on repair parts.

Can I still get this repaired or am I better off just buying him a new ratchet?

If it has sentimental value, keep looking for parts. If you just want it fixed, I think, (emphasizing think) anyone who sells craftsman would replace it for you. 
I’m not certain of the quality of these newer ratchets but I hate the feel of the newer wrenches?

I just ordered a 3/8" and 1/2" rebuild kit for my Craftsman quick release ratchets.  Amazon, $22 and $25 respectively. 

Of course thats 3/4 of the way to a new gear wrench etc., but mine are both older long handles that I like the feel of.

• Thanks 1

Napa is selling craftsman, buy a new ratchet, swap the guts and send it back for replacement, you will end up with 2 ratchets and never loose the old one. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nothing sentimental about it. He just wants it fixed. I just assumed these box stores wouldn’t be much help with warranty.

I remember many years ago going to the Sears store and they just grabbed a new ratchet off of the shelf to replace mine. Later Sears would give me the rebuild kit to fix it myself.

• Like 2

I have been trying hard not to use the ones I have that have been in my family for 3 generations now...............I like the Napa ones, but the closest store really has turned into a POS so no more of those.  I have a bunch of Mac's that need rebuilt, but that tool route goes through a bunch of guys and they don't come around now.  I did buy one of the new Hazard Fraught Icon POS's, didn't seem to bad, I need two long handle 1/2" drive, one straight and one flex, not sure what to buy?

Had a craftsman professional ratchet, had about 4000 teeth on it. Seems like it was 60 or 80 bucks years ago when we had a Sears store. I used it for 8 or 10 years and then stripped it out. Sent little brother with it when he went to the city, he came back with a short handled craftsman cheapo that had about 6 teeth and said the lady told him that was the new one???the kid wouldn’t know a good tool if it was shoved up his rear.. i don't know what I expected. ?

Lowes has Craftsman now . More tools than Sears had !!!!  Black&decker bought out the Craftsman brand still around !!!

• Thanks 1

Hate to say it, but the best use for a craftsman ratchet is a hammer or an expensive club.  Got tired of skipping teeth years ago.  Snappy may be expensive, but for the money you'll have a ratchet that wont need fixed for a long long time. 

I still have a few craftsmen that need fixed, just gave up....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Those are awesome ratchets, I have all 3 drive sizes.  I love the 1/4" but can't find a kit for it.

I've got Craftsman & Allen ratchets here at the house.  They use the same kits (they were made by same manufacturer)  I just bought a handful of kits off ebay so I'd have what I need in the future.

At work I have Snap On and Mac.  Pretty rare that they need a rebuild.

Some of the Old "Crapsmans" I would use before anything else myself...............but the issue is if you happen to break it.  My brother has Snap On's that he bought at the time we had the same dealer, the dealer would always tell me what my brother bought earlier that week when he seen me, he told me about the ratchets, said he would never break them..........................Well I was there when one of them broke and then it went flying across the building in a fit of rage.  Out came the ancient Proto and finished the job.  

I have acouple Cornwell's I really like, but again, no truck..............When Kobalt first came out, I bought some of those, they were nice for the price, then Williams stopped making that stuff and those went to crap.

I really really like my Carlyle ratchets, reasonable in price, really good quality and easily replaced. Rarely a breakdown, when they do it gets replaced no questions asked. 

8 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Napa is selling craftsman, buy a new ratchet, swap the guts and send it back for replacement, you will end up with 2 ratchets and never loose the old one. 

This! Just might be a good idea! Then you have a ratchet that feels good in your hand, and have replacement parts sitting in your drawer!

7 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

If I’m going to pay $250 for a ratchet, it’s going to say Snap On on it! 
I just bought a used Snap On ratchet for $90(?) off eBay. Am looking for a flex head ratchet but it’s going to wait until after Christmas ? 

Gift giving falls into my lap this year ???

8 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I really really like my Carlyle ratchets, reasonable in price, really good quality and easily replaced. Rarely a breakdown, when they do it gets replaced no questions asked. 

I’ve gotten several Carlyle tools lately. Been well pleased so far. 

2 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

If I’m going to pay $250 for a ratchet, it’s going to say Snap On on it! 
I just bought a used Snap On ratchet for $90(?) off eBay. Am looking for a flex head ratchet but it’s going to wait until after Christmas ? 

Gift giving falls into my lap this year ???

It wasn’t any 250 bucks back then, 60 or 80 or something. 

• Like 1

I have moth balled all the craftsman ratchets I have. Picked up used Snap on at sales or junk shops and rebuilt them. We had a Snap On factory 15min away (closed on 2004) so there is a lot of stuff floating around like that. I remember those ratchets like you pictured but never had one.