Got a quick question, i’m gonna pull the radiator so i have to undo the steering shaft. I’m curious if the part that has the grease fitting is supposed to have a bushing in there or is it just wore out a little. You can see the gap around the shaft in the picture. The steering is nice and tight and runs down the road really good. I just didn’t know if i could address it while i have it apart. 

0858655F-0358-4031-924F-D221FC9A21A7.jpeg

• Like 1

It’s been a few years, but if I remember correctly, there is a brass bushing that I replaced in mine, then I used a adjustable reamer to get a good fit. My H is a early 1939, but I assume most years are the same.

1 minute ago, red badger said:

It’s been a few years, but if I remember correctly, there is a brass bushing that I replaced in mine, then I used a adjustable reamer to get a good fit. My H is a early 1939, but I assume most years are the same.

That’s kinda what i was thinking, it would have to have a hole in the bushing for the grease to get to the shaft. 

If it didn’t I put one in there, Mike the shaft ,fix and bore out put bushing in there with grease groove to the match the grease hole, you can even put buy bushing with grooves already , all kinds a ways to fix it but the whole is going to need a good looking over and it winter so take your time ,fixer up. 
that shafts will need some building up and turned down also .

On 11/28/2020 at 8:01 PM, Branden3006 said:

Got a quick question, i’m gonna pull the radiator so i have to undo the steering shaft. I’m curious if the part that has the grease fitting is supposed to have a bushing in there or is it just wore out a little. You can see the gap around the shaft in the picture. The steering is nice and tight and runs down the road really good. I just didn’t know if i could address it while i have it apart. 

0858655F-0358-4031-924F-D221FC9A21A7.jpeg

I have the same problem on mine and need to do the exact same repair on my H.  Thanks for the reminder!

On 12/4/2020 at 5:14 PM, 560Dennis said:

If it didn’t I put one in there, Mike the shaft ,fix and bore out put bushing in there with grease groove to the match the grease hole, you can even put buy bushing with grooves already , all kinds a ways to fix it but the whole is going to need a good looking over and it winter so take your time ,fixer up. 
that shafts will need some building up and turned down also .

Yep, gotta few things to fix up. That’s my plan for the winter. Hope to get everything ready for spring!!

9 hours ago, Branden3006 said:

Yep, gotta few things to fix up. That’s my plan for the winter. Hope to get everything ready for spring!!

Keep asking questions cause that way, you don’t have do overs and frustrating afternoons ??