PA Deer season

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

13yr old son was with me.  We went in about 11am and back out about 230.   We had seen 2 does a fox and 2 pheasents in the am followed by a nice buck on the wrong side of the fence.  We rent the neigh

Posted Images

Thanks.  We had 14 does and a buck about 50 yards from the barn Wednesday an hour before dark.  Last night there was 2 and tonight 6.  By tomorrow all signs of deer will probably be gone and we won't see anything.  😁

• Haha 3

Good luck to all. Safe hunting. I shot my 7mm08 after lunch today and it was on . Sighted in at 200 . I have a 325+ yard likely direction of shot possiblities ....

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Deerfield said:

Good luck to my fellow Pennsylvanians. Be sure to post pics of your success. Getting ready to head out now. I got my buck during archery so I’m meat hunting now. 

good luck, I will be only able to get a buck or bear as we are in 3B and doe is not in yet

Deer are having a stag meeting to discuss counter offensive against the Pennsylvania army. 
I overheard to  get the ones with cell phones 📱  first!  Be careful they are watching you !

• Haha 4

I sat all day. My older boy was with me for a few hours this morning even though he got a buck in archery. I passed on a 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 year old 8 point this morning. Wish George was with me this afternoon as a 5 point whose whole right 3 PT side hangs down along his head . My nephew got a 10 this morning and my cousin got an 8 this afternoon 

Oh and I saw 5 bald eagles this morning, three with white soared above and two immature landed in the field nearby

• Like 2

Screenshot_2020-11-28-08-25-01.png

• Like 7

13yr old son was with me.  We went in about 11am and back out about 230.   We had seen 2 does a fox and 2 pheasents in the am followed by a nice buck on the wrong side of the fence.  We rent the neighbors ground where the buck was and they don't hunt but without consent it was a no go.

Late afternoon we had seen a ton of doe.  My son was able to get a 3 point buck, his first one.  He is a junior hunter so no antler restrictions for him.  Before anyone frowns at taking a deer like this it is about the experience and keeping youth interested.  He was thrilled.  Last pic is view from the stand we were in with one of the doe grazing grass.

KIMG0287.JPG

KIMG0289.JPG

KIMG0288.JPG

KIMG0286.JPG

• Like 10

I forgot to mention that I saw a smaller bobcat. It worked in slowly from 140 yards and got to 47 yards when my boy brought my lunch out and it launched in the brush to hide. Once he was gone it went back the direction it came from. There was a bigger one road-killed 200 yards away from the stand I was in when we were chopping corn and we saw two in the fields around then also. Been a few years since I have seen before this one

Im going Monday. My son CJ was on his way back from delivering a load of firewood.  A doe jumped into the trailer behind CJ.   She tore the latches from the gate and broke 2 legs.  CJ chased her through some briers and tackled her, then called me.  I still had the inline loaded and in the garage from early muzzleloader so I ran down the road to him and he shot her. She was huge.  Skinned and quartered her last night. 

Very little shooting yesterday and this morning only heard one shot.  8 year old put in a lot of time during archery and on Saturday the three bucks we saw were running full tilt.  I will say best hunting purchase ever was the Mr. Heater.  Sure helps keep us going when we are not seeing anything.

13 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

My son was able to get a 3 point buck, his first one.

Congratulations- we are trying to tackle that feat as well!  Perfect buck for first time!  Saw a similar buck walk into neighbors brush but in PM someone walked through there and it was mach speed across our soybean field.  We just watched and laughed.

727BBD59-A892-49EC-8E05-38AE87EB42E8.jpeg

• Like 1

I guess Sunday hunting in PA pays. Son put a six point(4×2) on the ground at 8:15 AM. Old,gray and big bodied. Browning BLR 7mm-08. 100 yards blew the top of his heart off. Perfect shot.

• Like 3

Bunch of does and small racks .... gonna take a few days next week and take my nephew out . Hopefully get him on some horns . Its weird hunting on a Sunday.  First time in my life and I could here the church bells at 9am going off

• Like 2

Little one that went by yesterday

• Like 2

I agree, hunting on a Sunday seems out of sorts but I figured I'd sit out and see what passes by. I missed opening day due to working nights. I couldn't convince this one to get in the Jeep to ride home with me this morning..🤪 He's got a little bit of growing to do. 

20201129_065945.jpg

• Like 1

Pretty barren around here. Yesterday was about like last year few shots and then done.Seen a few deer on the farm this year, few decent bucks but nothing like years  past.The fawn crop this year is almost nill no matter what the Penna.Propaganda Game Commission tells people.Been on this farm about my entire  life and NEVER  seen a fawn crop so small.No twins,very few singles and quite a few big mature does with no babies in tow.My son saw a 6 or so does yesterday and that's it. I seen one very small fawn but the coyotes got to him first nothing left but a few bones,scraped clean skeleton from a very fresh kill.

I think the fawn crop was low too. I get out and about quite a bit. Didn't see near the fawns in PA/OH. Lots of singles. The deer herd on the other hand was healthy. Curious.

My neighbor Joe was fortunate this evening to get the ten point I was trying to get . He was probably 1000 yards away from the bulk of where I was seeing him .  It was on Joe's side of the line the first night I saw him in archery and was able to film him 

Picture shows my bad hit ....

Screenshot_2020-11-29-17-13-26.png

Screenshot_2020-11-29-16-47-41.png

• Like 2