Rifle question

AKwelder

So recent threads lead me to considering a hunting issue I need to address. The background is this, here in Alaska we travel into the back country and enter the food chain.  Most times this is in a boat, but may include quads, autos, planes, and whatever works. Most people have what is termed a boat gun, carried for utility needs and defense.  And in survival situations to provide food.  

I have always carried something, usually what I had, and one of the things I have is a Savage 110E in 30-06 that I picked up for $100 years ago.I am considering removing the failed scope on it and going back to open sites, and maybe swapping out the stock. Cheap boat gun that meets my needs.

I have been told by some of my hunting friends they don’t trust the 110, that there is a history of a pin shearing and locking up the gun and it is not as reliable as needed.  Can anyone offer insight Into this view? Is it justified? Does it really happen?

54 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

So recent threads lead me to considering a hunting issue I need to address. The background is this, here in Alaska we travel into the back country and enter the food chain.  Most times this is in a boat, but may include quads, autos, planes, and whatever works. Most people have what is termed a boat gun, carried for utility needs and defense.  And in survival situations to provide food.  

I have always carried something, usually what I had, and one of the things I have is a Savage 110E in 30-06 that I picked up for $100 years ago.I am considering removing the failed scope on it and going back to open sites, and maybe swapping out the stock. Cheap boat gun that meets my needs.

I have been told by some of my hunting friends they don’t trust the 110, that there is a history of a pin shearing and locking up the gun and it is not as reliable as needed.  Can anyone offer insight Into this view? Is it justified? Does it really happen?

Show me a gun that doesnt break and ill show you a liar. Worth noting however the 110 was updated with heavier internals. So i suppose its a possibility. I have several 110's and ive never broke one. 

I have a few Savage rifles including some 110's. 

I have sold quite a few also

Neither I or any of my customers (that I know of) have had this problem with any of our rifles. 

Although not in a dangerous game situation, I have no trust issues with the 110. 

Talking about a pickup or pack gun. I have a 110 rebarreled in .308 with an 18" heavy bbl and folding stock that sits beside me on my pickup seat perfectly. It would also pack well. 

And as Runner says, nothing is 100%.

When i was in Alaska i was hunting with a BLR rebarreled to 35 Whelen. Funny enough it broke during elk season the next year here in colorado. 30-06 with 180g bullets or 220 will take dangerous game just fine. 

My competition guns are all savage platforms and i assure you. We shoot a **** of a lot more rounds than hunters. And ive never broke one. Dunno. 

My 223 is a Savage 110, and I have shot several hundred if not not thousands through it. I know that it’s a lot lighter round but it’s never miss fired even with all the weird ammunition that has gone through it. 

All mechanical devices are made by man and subject to failure.

I know many people who shoot savage rifles without any problems.

However when I think high reliability rifles,. I think 98 Mauser.

I assume you're carrying a pistol for backup?

Thx-Ace 

The largest detractor was the guy I got my moose with this fall. He was out with another guy and the rifle locked up so he couldn’t open the chamber,  he said “I had to disassemble it thru the bottom because a pin sheared off, it’s a known problem” and he is normally a factual type of guy, to much so.  

I liken it to the 460/560 rear end deal, I know there were some failures, I know there was a recall, but I don’t know anyone who lost a rear end in the field, 

?‍♂️Need to be prepared, from what I seen need a reliable backups for every second counts . Not about to recommend ,but please take you only your best possible with you .

Archived