Eastern NC auction 21 IH tractors

Lots of goodies. Thanks for sharing.  What are the buses used for?  Something with tobacco?  Lots and lots of tobacco grown in neighboring Lancaster county but typically on small scale by Amish.  I'm no tobacco expert but just guessing the limiting factor for farms increasing acreage here is drying space in the barns.

The busses have conveyor belts in the bottom for unloading. The tobacco leaves are dumped on the floor of the busses for transport to the packing system. The leaves are unloaded  on a conveyor at the barn and distributed into a large metal box. The box is slid into the barn and hot air is forced through the box to cure the tobacco.

• Thanks 1

I see the X74 tractor says tobacco special on the side - what makes it different from the others?  I'm guessing axles and tractor height, similar to an orchard tractor they sell now a days???  Since us up in Eastern Ontario don't have tobacco farms (or at least not that type of tobacco farm, tends to be more of the whacky tobacco these days!!) never seen a tobacco special before.

What a collection of Red Iron!  Sad to see all that green mossy stuff on the rims and grills.

47 minutes ago, Mountain Heritage said:

I see the X74 tractor says tobacco special on the side - what makes it different from the others?  I'm guessing axles and tractor height, similar to an orchard tractor they sell now a days???  Since us up in Eastern Ontario don't have tobacco farms (or at least not that type of tobacco farm, tends to be more of the whacky tobacco these days!!) never seen a tobacco special before.

What a collection of Red Iron!  Sad to see all that green mossy stuff on the rims and grills.

I saw one for sale once didn’t see anything different on outside. They were a handy tobacco tractor. 

Interesting lineup of equipment. Serious question... Would a good sized tobacco farm need that many 66/86 sized machines to operate?  I understand cultivating with the smaller machines. 

On another note, I believe Eason had an article in a RP magazine a while back about the “tobacco special” tractors 😉

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Mountain Heritage said:

I believe they were able to be spread out wider than a regular 5/674 to straddle tobacco beds

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sledgehammer said:

Interesting lineup of equipment. Serious question... Would a good sized tobacco farm need that many 66/86 sized machines to operate?  I understand cultivating with the smaller machines. 

On another note, I believe Eason had an article in a RP magazine a while back about the “tobacco special” tractors 😉

Probably need that many/that size to pull the tillage equipment and bedders etc that you cant do with small tractors.

That is a very interesting sale as a tobacco grower but it is interesting how almost absolutely nothing there would be of any use for those of us up here that grow tobacco. 

1 hour ago, Super A_sepa said:

Probably need that many/that size to pull the tillage equipment and bedders etc that you cant do with small tractors.

That is a very interesting sale as a tobacco grower but it is interesting how almost absolutely nothing there would be of any use for those of us up here that grow tobacco. 

Do you guys grow burley or flue cured tobacco up where you are at. Many moons ago they grew some burley in our area, and I've been on some of the Eastern NC flue cured farms when I was in school. Totally different than what I was used to

13 hours ago, Mountain Heritage said:

Front axle extensions that let the front axle extend out to 96 inches to straddle 2 rows of tobacco

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Super A_sepa said:

Another question, does anyone have a source for the Tobacco special decals?? 

Not that I have any 574s or tobacco special tractors but if I could find decals I sure would. 

I've got some NOS decals I'll try and find and get a decal shop to reproduce.

15 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Must’ve liked 1086’s

For a time 1086's were dirt cheap and were able to be widened out to straddle 2 rows of tobacco. A 674 was only able to handle a 2 row cultivator with a fertilizer attachment. A 1086 could handle 4 rows and were pretty darn reliable.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, 885 said:

Do you guys grow burley or flue cured tobacco up where you are at. Many moons ago they grew some burley in our area, and I've been on some of the Eastern NC flue cured farms when I was in school. Totally different than what I was used to

Most around here is all dark air cured tobacco, Pennsylvania type historically and some Connecticut type within the last couple years.  Burley made it's way up here several years back as well.  Green river/Greenriver One Sucker is grown some here as well but not in tremendous quantities.  At grower meeting the English are a small minority, much of the tobacco here is grown by the amish sine they have more large families to help with harvest.  Labor is always a challenge and is as much of a limiting factor as shed/curing space.   Can build greenhouses to house more a lot easier than you can find the help to put it away. 

1 hour ago, Eason said:

I've got some NOS decals I'll try and find and get a decal shop to reproduce.

That would be great, I'd be interested in several sets.  If you get that done and remember, give me a heads up. 

2 hours ago, Eason said:

Front axle extensions that let the front axle extend out to 96 inches to straddle 2 rows of tobacco

Our  rows were 40 my regular 684 straddled two no problem was it raised different from the way we did it .We raised burley

37 minutes ago, ky966boy said:

Our  rows were 40 my regular 684 straddled two no problem was it raised different from the way we did it .We raised burley

Several of those guys down there are on 48 inch rows from what I remember.    Most all 38-40 inch rows around here no matter the variety.

• Thanks 1
On 11/25/2020 at 5:58 PM, Eason said:

Eason, do you know if the front and rear axles of the 674 tobacco special can be run in to narrow the wheel base?

On 11/25/2020 at 5:58 PM, Eason said:

Eason, do you know if the Front and Rear axles of the 674 Tobacco Special have the capability of being run in to narrow up the wheel base?

Yes they will go as narrow as the regular 674's  Have to take the extensions off the front axle. You can play around with the dish on the rear wheel and slide the hubs in or out to the width you need.

• Like 1