Opinions on this tap and die set

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/gearwrench-77-pc-sae-metric-ratcheting-tap-and-die-set.html?_iv_code=CM3-HTL-LLKJ-3887&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAiA2O39BRBjEiwApB2Ikkhu05tpnH-P8HvQbjmLgiAJblT4Uuuv3bWkQ1x9sHVGsFbs9Udg5RoC1DwQAvD_BwE

I keep this gear wrench set on my service truck. Its baled me out a bunch. I haven't broke one yet but I wont say they are Greenfield quality.  By the way does the set look familiar???? I'm guessing gear wrench makes your set 

• Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/gearwrench-77-pc-sae-metric-ratcheting-tap-and-die-set.html?_iv_code=CM3-HTL-LLKJ-3887&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAiA2O39BRBjEiwApB2Ikkhu05tpnH-P8HvQbjmLgiAJblT4Uuuv3bWkQ1x9sHVGsFbs9Udg5RoC1DwQAvD_BwE

I keep this gear wrench set on my service truck. Its baled me out a bunch. I haven't broke one yet but I wont say they are Greenfield quality.  By the way does the set look familiar???? I'm guessing gear wrench makes your set 

Pretty sure there are about 1/3 as many manufacturers as there are brands out there. 

I'm not sure on your application, but one thing I've learned that although you can use a tap or die to clean threads up, it's not the best if you want to conserve material.  I have one if these sets and use it more than taps anymore.  Just aggressive enough to retread if theres something still kinda there, but not made to "cut"   

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SER972?cid=paidsearch_shopping_dcoe_google&campaign=GSC-Tools-Equipment&campaign_id=8553470562&adgroup_id=107047174069&adtype=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2Oi825ia7QIVh6CGCh2nawBREAQYASABEgIHj_D_BwE

3 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

I'm not sure on your application, but one thing I've learned that although you can use a tap or die to clean threads up, it's not the best if you want to conserve material.  I have one if these sets and use it more than taps anymore.  Just aggressive enough to retread if theres something still kinda there, but not made to "cut"   

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SER972?cid=paidsearch_shopping_dcoe_google&campaign=GSC-Tools-Equipment&campaign_id=8553470562&adgroup_id=107047174069&adtype=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2Oi825ia7QIVh6CGCh2nawBREAQYASABEgIHj_D_BwE

That looks like a nice set, I want one for general use, but one of those would be great too. Currently have “the drawer” it’s probably in there, but I have gone and not found, bought new, then found in “the drawer” where I was looking in the first place. ?

2 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

That looks like a nice set, I want one for general use, but one of those would be great too. Currently have “the drawer” it’s probably in there, but I have gone and not found, bought new, then found in “the drawer” where I was looking in the first place. ?

I hear you there, it's pretty bad when you accrue enough stuff you forget what you have. 

Tap brand discussions usually are about the same as oil discussions lol.  Personally the best tap is not needing or using one at all.  Anymore my broken bolts are extracted with a welder, or ground out with a carbide, and if I fubar that I'd rather helicoil or timesert versus busting a dang tap with a traditional drill and tap operation  or breaking an easy out off.  

I have the large 114 piece gearwrench set for quite a few years now. Have used it a lot and hasn’t let me down. The ratcheting handle is handy in tight spots and they seem to be good quality. That set looks like it was made by gearwrench and would assume is the same quality. It’s a good price as I paid $230ish for mine 5 or 6 years ago. If I were you, I would rush out and buy a couple so when a friend from ny needs to permanently borrow a set you have it to lend!

10 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Pretty sure there are about 1/3 as many manufacturers as there are brands out there. 

If not 1/4....

The only thing I have thats not really in my set is an extension handle. I just bought a set these lisle tap sockets. very very handy if you need to use an extension for deep panels or back planes and chuck it up in your drill or impact. That's also where a couple sets of the drill tap combo's work great. I love tools if you cant tell. https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-70500-Tap-Socket-Set/dp/B0002SRFOE/ref=asc_df_B0002SRFOE/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309735728871&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11243022113708135636&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9022840&hvtargid=pla-435960418711&psc=1

• Like 1

I’m not sure ,I’ve it see it , I known I bought cheap sets from Auto parts cause it could nt find quailiy ( I wasn’t really looking) set . I needed to once or twice . But I doesn’t work on most Northeast Ohio cleanup of rusted nut An  bolt s that a fact .

• 1 month later...

I recently bought this set from Hazard Fraught.  

https://www.harborfreight.com/titanium-nitride-coated-alloy-steel-sae-tap-die-set-45-pc-61411.html

I know it isn't a super high quality set.  But I don't plan to be cutting a lot of threads.  I just want something to use occasionally for cleaning up threads as I'm tired of needing to run to my Dad's to use his.  I probably should have looked into a thread restoration set like someone else posted as that is more what I will use it for.

Oh well, I don't have alot of money into it or super high expectations.  We'll see how it turns out.