1086 Digital Data Center

I recently picked up a 1979 - 1086. Turns out the data center seems to be a non functioning item along with the temp & fuel gauges. Push buttons control RPM/MPH/EGT/540-1000 RPM & hr. meter. Checking past info/postings and recent postings I understand the data centers are anywhere from $550 to a reported dealer item @ $1200.  My nearest dealer is about 100 miles away & closed due to virus nonsense. 

I would greatly appreciate anyone's info and feedback on replacing this item either with used or rebuilt (new doesn't seem to be available anywhere). All available replacements seem to be part # 131 121 C1. Part # on mine is #131 121 C2. Anyone know the difference?

Or do I simply scrap the whole idea and replace all gauges & sending units with "reliable" analog gauges & build a new gauge panel? Only thing I would not be able to do is set the MPH according to tire size. Not a big deal, it ain't that hard to figure out if you're pulling a disc or other to fast or to slow.

Many thanks for anyone input

7 minutes ago, N S said:

I recently picked up a 1979 - 1086. Turns out the data center seems to be a non functioning item along with the temp & fuel gauges. Push buttons control RPM/MPH/EGT/540-1000 RPM & hr. meter. Checking past info/postings and recent postings I understand the data centers are anywhere from $550 to a reported dealer item @ $1200.  My nearest dealer is about 100 miles away & closed due to virus nonsense. 

I would greatly appreciate anyone's info and feedback on replacing this item either with used or rebuilt (new doesn't seem to be available anywhere). All available replacements seem to be part # 131 121 C1. Part # on mine is #131 121 C2. Anyone know the difference?

Or do I simply scrap the whole idea and replace all gauges & sending units with "reliable" analog gauges & build a new gauge panel? Only thing I would not be able to do is set the MPH according to tire size. Not a big deal, it ain't that hard to figure out if you're pulling a disc or other to fast or to slow.

Many thanks for anyone input

I would be checking the cab relay along with all the circuit breakers and ground wires sometimes these can be a simple fix

• Like 1

Whenever the data center acted up on the 86 series in my past, I would start by using contact cleaner on the datacenter connector first.  Nine times out of ten that would get it going.  I also remember that the connection on the oil pressure sender could make the data center do funny things too.  Good luck.

• Like 1

As stated before, make certain that you check for all the powers and especially the grounds to you data center....then if you are certain those are good and you still can't get your data center to operate...instead of throwing money at new parts, send it to Ag Express and have it repaired...

Travis

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, axial_al said:

Whenever the data center acted up on the 86 series in my past, I would start by using contact cleaner on the datacenter connector first.  Nine times out of ten that would get it going.  I also remember that the connection on the oil pressure sender could make the data center do funny things too.  Good luck.

never had issues with the data center connector itself less its been tampered with  beside he stated that some of his gauges don't even work tells me its either a power feed fuse or bad ground time to get the test light going and get to work

• Like 1

As mentioned check the fuse panel. Every single person with an 86 series needs to take a glance in there once in a while anyway. What happens is a couple things. The fuse holders have a make spade terminal rivoted on, and years of abuse leads to poor connections either on the rivot holding the terminal or where the connector slides on terminal itself. When checking with a test light make sure you are stabbing in the wire connector looking for power and look for loose connections. I'm amazed how many fuses were bypassed over the years and guys stabbing the wire wherever to get power fused or not. Lots of fires start right there. It sounds like you need to start there. 

Many thanks to all for their kind input and knowledge. It's now buried under about 2 ft of snow & it's only mid Nov. Come March /April when the snow melts I'll tackle all the transducers, solenoids, fuses, connections and do a proper troubleshoot of all the lectronics. If need be I'll send it to Ag Express.

Wishing all a Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. 

• Like 1