Jump to content

HCMC Burn unit


Cattech
 Share

Recommended Posts

The fall of 2014, I was flushing the fuel system on a tractor.  I attempted to start it and it backfired and lit me and the tractor, pan on floor, etc. on fire.  Painful burns to my hands, LH arm and flash burns to my face.  Iowa City burn center treated me for my injuries.   Interesting footnote to this story: I had picked up my future wife's engagement ring that afternoon on my way home from work.   I  waited until the bandages came off to propose!

Best wishes for your recovery!  Praying for you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My sister went through this 35 years ago.

She says there is not enough drugs to keep the pain in check.

No one should have to go through this.

Heal up, and soon!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Feb. 1981 , I opened lid on tar kettle that had tar/hot asphalt below flues & domed lid was holding fumes that ignited. Second degree burns on face & ears , took off my eye brows, mustache & ear hair. Face felt like on fire when rolled on ground to extinguish it. I was Lucky ,one night in hospital & 2 weeks off work. The  burn creme was soothing after showering . I remember feeling skin healing....Time is healing & keeping wound Clean. 

Prayer for fast Heal.

Paul/RM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I appreciate all the support guys, hearing complete strangers sending prayers for a speedy and painless recovery is humbling and inspiring. I can only hope I am able to repay the favor to everyone someday.

So far, yes - thanking the ghost or angel that has watched over me... my eyesight seems really good. They have managed my pain well, just as mentioned, when it comes to cleaning and debriding, no normal human painkiller is going to control that! And my nurse... zero mercy and just as little empathy, but a pro who is willing to work with you. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm happy you're still with us.

Please be very careful (later obviously, not right now) with those pain medications. If you need help afterwards, don't hesitate to ask for it. Our country is loaded with people who get hooked innocently on painkillers then are too ashamed of the addiction to ask for help getting off them.

I love this forum. I've only met a few of these people, but 99% of them seem like wonderful, truly good people.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yikes! I almost did the same thing with a burn pile and some gasoline. I pause for a second to talk to somebody before I lit it and the gas vapors had run along the surface of the ground out past the edges of the burn pile. I got a insignificant flash burn and lost some hair, but otherwise I was okay. It could have gone badly though! Fortunately I only wear cotton work clothes when I'm on the farm so that helps save me.  I hope you heal quickly. I can't imagine how uncomfortable it is and I'll keep praying for you.  There but for the grace of God go i!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...