Who seeds a cover crop into standing beans?

My brother planted soybeans in a field a couple years ago.  Just after the leaves started to turn he had rye flown on.  Turned out really nice.  

On 11/24/2020 at 6:54 AM, TroyDairy said:

Couldnt you just spin it on after harvest?

The reason for putting on the cover before harvest, at least for beans, is two fold.  It buys a couple weeks of time that is usually needed here to get a decent stand before it gets too cold.  The other reason is then the cover crop seed gets covered by the dropping bean leaves and if the soil has any moisture in it that is all it take to get the seed to germinate.  No need for any kind of tillage at all.  

• Thanks 1
On 11/25/2020 at 12:21 PM, Art From Coleman said:

Are those white radishes edible?  I cannot understand why white radishes are impossible to find in a store, they have SO MUCH MORE taste than do red radishes, that have had the 'heat' bred out of them.

I don't know if they are  "considered"  edible or not ..... but I have cut a chunk out of one and ate.

They just taste like any other radish but a lot stronger.

On 11/25/2020 at 11:21 AM, Art From Coleman said:

Are those white radishes edible?  I cannot understand why white radishes are impossible to find in a store, they have SO MUCH MORE taste than do red radishes, that have had the 'heat' bred out of them.

Yes.  They are daikon radishes.

Here in NWOH the state has instituted some voluntary programs to help reduce the phosphorus load into the Western Basin of Lake Erie. It’s administered through the USDA by the FSA. They have made funds available to offset the cost of practices like variable nutrient placement, nutrient management plans and cover crops to name a few. 
One of the requirements for cover crops is that they must be planted by October 15 hence the interseeding experiments. 

On 11/24/2020 at 9:00 PM, E160BHM said:

Tell us more about the tillage radishes.  Do they open up a soil enough to help the wet spots drain?  Remember that people used to plant sweet clover or alfalfa so the roots would help drainage, but would it take a couple of years. Could the radishes do the same in row crops each year?  Have some flat bottom ground (mostly no till) that needs either pattern tile or something like this to help water to soak in.

They STINK when they freeze off and the ground gets damp. Best thing you can hope for is a solid freeze along with the first frost. They work good, but I live too close to our one field and I feel bad for the neighbors, so we don't plant them around good neighbors.