Anothe BMW story

New Englander

Last night I received a call from a rather excited son. He had just been released from a USCG imposed hotel isolation due to a room mate testing positive and was heading home. He got sideswiped by a Toyota and expected to pull over together. Instead, the Toyota whipped a U turn and ran. Well, the Toyota had little chance against the BMW and my son easily caught up and dictated the tag to Siri. He stopped, called 911 and got connected to a Massachusetts State Trooper who took the info and put out a BOLO. He then called me and I gave him the dad pep talk/calm down and advice on making notes, getting reports and badge numbers, calling insurance company, etc. Twenty minutes later I got another call "They got him"! Trooper called him back, gave him the location, and he drove there and found the suspect surrounded by six police cruisers. Trooper gave him a copy of the report, they charged the 18 year old driver with leaving the scene and let him go.

Massachusetts is a no-fault state so I'm not sure how the insurance will work but since he's got USAA he'll be OK. He's about to go out on a 90 day patrol so the car will be fixed by the time he returns.

Great work by the Massachusetts State Police.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Dang! I am glad all is well, assuming he doesn’t have covid and the car will be fixed. Thanks for his service. 

Negative COVID; he's got to get one more negative before going on a 90 day East Pac patrol in about 10 days. It'll be a good trip through the canal. I've been to the locks and that sure was interesting in itself.

Yes, car will get fixed while he's on patrol.

Sadly his girl, a medical student, has contracted it. She works in an ER under strict protocol but most likely got it from her dad, an executive. Her symptoms are minor - loss of taste and smell and general malaise. but apparently it's the gift that keeps on giving. One of our mechanics sister and BIL had the same mild symptoms only to have more severe symptoms some months later. I keep hoping for the vaccine releases.

Vaccine???  What's going to be in the vaccine?  Why is it some get extremely ill, others not so?  Could it be linked to prior flu shots that had covid dna?  Covid has been in years prior flu shots. Maybe look for the link there to extreme cases versus not so extreme. Be careful who you trust, and what you ask for

Mark

• Like 1

3 hours ago, td9inidaho said:

Vaccine???  What's going to be in the vaccine?  Why is it some get extremely ill, others not so?  Could it be linked to prior flu shots that had covid dna?  Covid has been in years prior flu shots. Maybe look for the link there to extreme cases versus not so extreme. Be careful who you trust, and what you ask for

Mark

Especially now

6 hours ago, td9inidaho said:

Why is it some get extremely ill, others not so?

Body's individual reaction and response. I got terribly sick with the flu and others not so much. I got very mild case of chicken pox and others had pox covering body and got quite sick. We have general responses to infection but still are individuals some with immune systems quick to respond and others with systems that over respond as in the case of this novel virus.

Too bad the kid ran. Sounds from the details here, he was just scared. But now there'll be worse consequences than if he'd pulled over. Unfortunately, it's probably more due to poor driver training than him being a rotten kid. If he had a dad like it seems your son has, it all probably never would have happened. Hopefully he learns, and it's no worse for anyone involved, and the consequences don't follow him around.

Glad he's  ok. Sorry his car was damaged. 

Hope his girlfriend recovers quickly and doesn't get a more serious round later. My daughter just got over what sounds like very similar symptoms, no fever but scratchy throat, loss of taste and smell, felt crappy in general and some mild shortness of breath if she any mild activity around house.

Thank you for your sons service.

• Thanks 1