Most powerful tractor of the 1940s

1 hour ago, mike newman said:

...the venerable E27N possibly qualifies in this topic,....Dad brought one with a Perkins P6TA..no, not torque amplifier.....''Tractor Assembly ""...i do not recall the cubic inch capacity of the Perkins.....however, should by chance one "Pukeko "read this...he will remember.......maybe around 280 cubes..

Couple of pics...discing and or one way discing tobacco ground....

Mike

post-157-1171441891       perkins 2.jpg

post-157-1171441960     perkins.jpg

Yes Mike ,the Engine was 288cu.in. Designated PA 6, built from 1938-1961, delivering about 50 hp. The PB 6 was 61-64,also 288 cubes.  On a side note ,there also was a PC 6 version,slightly larger bore ,305 cubes,with a CAV  DPA type pump., built 59-64. Almost 320000 were built .Talking of tractors from that period,there was a Massey Harris 744 D ,which was built in Scotland having a Perkins P6 engine in,rated at 46 hp.It was basically a MH 44 with the Perkins engine .All Scottish built Masseys  had a 7 prefix  in the  model numbers,hence  744.There was also a  Massey  745 later on, with a Perkins  L4 at 270 cubes.

2 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

Close enough to count. That is a Good thing about red power you expand your horizons a bit each day.

I was never too interested in a John Deere D.  They were before my time. There were plenty of them around but nobody was using them and you could pick one up cheap. 

THEN,

I was at an antique tractor pull one time sitting in the stands watching a  variety of different tractors unsuccessfully trying to make A full pull. No one had yet to make it to the end. 
 An old man hooked up a Rusty old D on steel , there wasn’t a flake of paint on it anywhere, it looked like it had sat outside its whole life . After he got it all ready to go he stepped off and helped his wife climb into the drivers seat . She was in her mid 80’s at least and had to have help getting into the seat . Right about now I was thinking  either this is going to be real interesting or it’s going to be real embarrassing for them. 

Well she took control of that tractor like she was 21 , and pulled that sled right out the end of the track and kept going well past the full pull mark with one hand in the air waving to the crowd. 

Everyone stood up and cheered . 

To this day that was the best Display of antique tractor power I ever witnessed. I left that day with a whole new perspective on the John Deere D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

LA Case, probably the toughest tractor built back then. Many gave their lives to become the first big four wheel drives with a 6-71 detroit under the hood.

• Like 1

well i do know from 1940 and back you wont outdo the mccormick WD40. and in the antique tractor pulls mine does very good and outdoes many tractors right up to 1960. the WD9 has no show against it. mine is 1939 and 1940 was the last year and it was replaced with the wd9.

2 hours ago, rustred said:

well i do know from 1940 and back you wont outdo the mccormick WD40. and in the antique tractor pulls mine does very good and outdoes many tractors right up to 1960. the WD9 has no show against it. mine is 1939 and 1940 was the last year and it was replaced with the wd9.

That’s what I was thinking wd40 wk 40 probably big tractor back in 40.

1 hour ago, dale560 said:

That’s what I was thinking wd40 wk 40 probably big tractor back in 40.

the 22-36 was replaced by the wk40 and that was the biggest gas tractor. the WD40 came out in 1935 and was the biggest. it took john deere about another  14 years to come up with their diesel in 1949. the R.  till then it was just the old D  popping along for the last 30 years till 1953. and ihc was in the lead too.

19 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

I am amazed at the locals who are into the Wheatland machines...............Heck one guy hauled back a WD9 and a 600 this summer, proud as punch. Another guy bought acouple R's. To me, you climb on or I should say, "Down in" one of those, they seem like your riding on the back of a club. 

I love them big standard treads Tyler.  Dad and I said a few years ago if we would have thought things through differently 25 years ago we would have amassed a collection of them instead of all the row crop tractors we have.

46 minutes ago, rustred said:

the 22-36 was replaced by the wk40 and that was the biggest gas tractor. the WD40 came out in 1935 and was the biggest. it took john deere about another  14 years to come up with their diesel in 1949. the R.  till then it was just the old D  popping along for the last 30 years till 1953. and ihc was in the lead too.

You need to take them red glasses off and examine the competition more closely.  The WD40 was 37 drawbar horsepower which was the same as a styled JD D.  The later Case Ls were 42 drawbar horsepower.  And apparently you missed my earlier post on the Oliver 99 because they hit the market in 1937 with 54 drawbar hp and they advertised the 99 as the biggest tractor on the market.  The W series weren’t the all conquering tractor.  Pick any year in the topic of this thread and you will find that most of the time IH wasn’t near the top of the horsepower race.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

You need to take them red glasses off and examine the competition more closely.  The WD40 was 37 drawbar horsepower which was the same as a styled JD D.  The later Case Ls were 42 drawbar horsepower.  And apparently you missed my earlier post on the Oliver 99 because they hit the market in 1937 with 54 drawbar hp and they advertised the 99 as the biggest tractor on the market.  The W series weren’t the all conquering tractor.  Pick any year in the topic of this thread and you will find that most of the time IH wasn’t near the top of the horsepower race.  

well, maybe put your glasses on and come and watch me pull against all those tractors u mentioned. the john deere d has no show at all against my 40. plus its not even in the same weight class. i am at 10,000 lbs and compete with the big green guy's. the r's, 820's and 830's. that have reduced there weight to be 10,000 and under.  h. p. means nothing in a pull. its power to the ground. and yes ihc was ahead of john deere as i said , so i dont know what all you fuss is as i  know my competition. lol. and i also said the wd40 was the biggest tractor in the ihc line.

2 hours ago, Ihcubguy said:

I love them big standard treads Tyler.  Dad and I said a few years ago if we would have thought things through differently 25 years ago we would have amassed a collection of them instead of all the row crop tractors we have.

My old man should haven't been cheap and bought all the V-8's he could have;)...............

• Like 1
1 hour ago, rustred said:

well, maybe put your glasses on and come and watch me pull against all those tractors u mentioned. the john deere d has no show at all against my 40. plus its not even in the same weight class. i am at 10,000 lbs and compete with the big green guy's. the r's, 820's and 830's. that have reduced there weight to be 10,000 and under.  h. p. means nothing in a pull. its power to the ground. and yes ihc was ahead of john deere as i said , so i dont know what all you fuss is as i  know my competition. lol. and i also said the wd40 was the biggest tractor in the ihc line.

Tractor pulling proves nothing and means nothing if that is all you are going off of.  Get your tractor out in the field with a plow like it was designed for and I will start listening again.  

• Like 1
9 hours ago, randy hall said:

LA Case, probably the toughest tractor built back then. Many gave their lives to become the first big four wheel drives with a 6-71 detroit under the hood.

No doubt.  I wonder how many guys on here realize they were a chain drive rear end with the bevel gear in front of a crossways transmission.  Neighbor of mine has a LA with a 4-53 in it.  Estimating about 110 hp.  

12 minutes ago, Art From Coleman said:

According to the display, this was what John Deere used when thinking about the use of four and six cylinder engines in the "New Generation of Power"

D48DE481-5194-445D-AC32-8B28144FC19B.jpeg

3D73C2A2-BBA4-4D88-B7F0-E5F0D0FD0DE2.jpeg

That display info is partially right.  JD did use that Case LA to research how much power could be put to the ground and that led to the development of the 5010.  Also, according to the above article taken out of one of my Green Magazines, it also led to the development of the 8010.  That test took place about 60 miles from me.  However, JD had already built 4 and 6 cylinder NG prototypes before and during the time they were missing around with that Case LA Detroit.

J

15 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Tractor pulling proves nothing and means nothing if that is all you are going off of.  Get your tractor out in the field with a plow like it was designed for and I will start listening again.  

i have , it pulls 4 /16 john deere plow in 4th gear without it being a load , it is a 4 speed transmission.   those detroits dont do good at all once they loose rpm they are done. and working in a field would be no different. the only one i cant outpull is the ih660. come in first and second and third quite a bit. so thats pretty good to have the oldest tractor on the track outpulling the 1950's ones. and yes i know case uses 140 roller chain right up to the early 930's. so does the john deere D.

A local guy bought a mm g off of the firestone test center , it never pulled a plow until he got it, he pulled a 5 bottom plow with it, as a kid I had never saw a tractor that big, about all the tractors in the area were 2 and 3 plow tractors. Now I like them all.

2 minutes ago, Mtaman said:

A local guy bought a mm g off of the firestone test center , it never pulled a plow until he got it, he pulled a 5 bottom plow with it, as a kid I had never saw a tractor that big, about all the tractors in the area were 2 and 3 plow tractors. Now I like them all.

Is it still around? I know where a couple of those Firestone tractors are.