584 Injection pump issue.

ih88

Neighbors 584 looses power, misses and puts out blue smoke at 1800 rpm and above.  Runs great below that.  Fuel tank is clean, has good flow to filters'  I am not familiar with these injection pumps. Anything at the pump i should check?  Thanks, Jim.

Hi, since you said there is good fuel flow then some quick checks, with reference to the photo below:
Make sure with the STOP/START/RUN lever in the RUN position that the Fuel Control lever is pushed all the way forward touching the adjusting screw, 
make sure the Shut-Off Plunger has the plunger protruding like the photo.

JimB

D179-Bosch-VA-Pump-Outer -Side.jpg

• Like 1

Usually when the fuel pump starves for fuel, the engine slows down then the governor opens wide open throttle there is a puff of black smoke then engine speeds up then runs short of fuel then slows down and the process repeats.
Is the 584 running like that?
Does it start good when warm in less than one rev of the engine?
How is the air flow, air cleaner, etc? 

IH 88

You mentioned that the fuel flow, "To the filters is good".     Have you checked the fuel flow, "To the injection pump?    I have seen trash build up in the banjo fitting bolt and restrict the flow.

GT&T

Does it have steel fuel line from last filter to injection pump or the steel with flex line to the injection pump?
I have seen the rubber on the inside of flex line on a 454 come apart and restrict the flow into the pump.
See photo below.

Inked385_Bosch_Pump_V2.jpg

Starts good, runs good except at higher rpm's about 1800 and above it will start to miss, put out blue smoke and looses power. And rpm's. Does not surge.  2 new air filters also. Did not check from filters to pump. Yes it has about 1 foot of rubber hose from filter housing to another steel line that goes to pump. Sounds like that line may be a potential problem.  

Do you know any history on this tractor? 
Does it sit for long period of times between uses?
Did owner ever use bio-Diesel in it?
Check the crankcase oil for being over full, thin and smell like Diesel fuel? 
if so the front lip seal on pump drive shaft could be leaking Diesel into crankcase.
These older Bosch VA pumps don't like the ULSD Diesel and so either add some 2 cycle engine oil or Diesel fuel conditioner everytime Diesel is added to fuel tank. 

Do you think it is a fuel delivery or injection pump problem or could it be a valve train problem?
If you pinch the injector lines between your thumb and index fingers and feel for the injector firing pulse, do the pulses feel regular and the same on every cylinder?

Word of caution, if you think it is an internal injection pump problem have a professional pump person work on it, as parts for these pumps are becoming  difficult to find. 
See manual for Fuel System here:
https://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/topic/121219-d239-674-engine-manual-pdf/

I had our 574 doing this last spring, check the air tube leading into your Air filter housing, way up in there was a mouse nest.. ran fine til u hit 1500 Rpm then spit and sputter. Just an easy check before u spend lots of time/money on a pump.

• Like 1

It has spin on filters different from what you show. Monday I will take the rubber fuel line off and check it.  Air intake is clear. Thanks guys. I will keep you posted on what I find 

Blue smoke is oil.  Black smoke is fuel.  

Lets assume that what you are seeing is fuel smoke.  That would indicate lack of air, or improper timing.  Neither of which is fuel starvation.  I doubt you have a lack of fuel.  My guess is that the pump is just failing.  Check the hose, but plan to pull the pump and injectors and get them rebuilt.  Only other possible cause is that the engine is just that wore out, or something mechanical has failed causing it to burn oil..... you said it is blue smoke.  Either way, worn out engine or worn out pump, you are pulling the pump.  I wouldn't waste too much time fooling with it trying to avoid pulling the pump. 

When a pump is starved of fuel, it can affect it's timing advance (VE/VA, Roosa, and CAV pump types) which can cause the miss/sputter and white smoke. 

The NAPA filter pictured above, I've never seen them restrict fuel flow unless someone mistakenly adds the seal inside the lip on top, and the seal blocks the flow. 

12 hours ago, Bandit56 said:

I had our 574 doing this last spring, check the air tube leading into your Air filter housing, way up in there was a mouse nest.. ran fine til u hit 1500 Rpm then spit and sputter. Just an easy check before u spend lots of time/money on a pump.

^^^^THIS^^^^^ 

I had the same thing with my 674 and thought I had pump issues until I happened to try it with the air filter out and it ran fine. 

12 minutes ago, Injpumped said:

When a pump is starved of fuel, it can affect it's timing advance (VE/VA, Roosa, and CAV pump types) which can cause the miss/sputter and white smoke. 

The NAPA filter pictured above, I've never seen them restrict fuel flow unless someone mistakenly adds the seal inside the lip on top, and the seal blocks the flow. 

Injpumped, you are correct I believe the person had installed an extra seal that blocked the flow.

This tractor has spin on filters. Also tried with no air filter. I will pull the rubber hose off and check it. If thats not it, off comes the pump.

20201121_160529.jpg