Looking to replace my occasional yard light (works occasionally lately). I want something as bright as my current light but an LED? I don't want one with really white light but some more like the one i have (sodium i think).

What do you think?

4 minutes ago, new guy said:

Looking to replace my occasional yard light (works occasionally lately). I want something as bright as my current light but an LED? I don't want one with really white light but some more like the one i have (sodium i think).

What do you think?

You are going to have a hard time finding a warm white color temperature, but Lumark makes  direct replacement LED for dusk to dawn HPS or MV yard lights. I can get part numbers this evening. 

If you have HPS / sodium - (orange in color) that color would be harder to find in a LED. There are several colors available. They rate the color by a temperature now, degrees Kelvin. Incandescent is 2700-3000K. Cool white fluorescent is 4100K. HPS would probably be about 2000K but nearly impossible to find. 

2 minutes ago, 12_Guy said:

If you have HPS / sodium - (orange in color) that color would be harder to find in a LED. There are several colors available. They rate the color by a temperature now, degrees Kelvin. Incandescent is 2700-3000K. Cool white fluorescent is 4100K. HPS would probably be about 2000K but nearly impossible to find. 

X2 

My yard light died a couple years ago. The electric co op said they don’t fix the old ones any more (our yard lights are on the power pole). So I ended up with a new led one, it’s about twice as broke as the old one and supposed to use way less electricity. 

Electric guys...... what is the rating for the 'daylight' designated lights. I am gradually replacing the incandesants in the house with daylight LED's. Love the bright light. When I sit at a reading light, I want to be able to see what I'm reading.

Also.... youngest son replaced his floresent shop lights with some BRIGHT lights. He says they warn... 'Do not look directly at the light' and they are correct. Those suckers will blind you. He has a 10+ ceiling height. I am going to put some in the new wood shop. Don't remember what they are called.

I am going to climb up and check mine out before i spend anything. Is it possible just a bad eye? Or dirty? Anything i can fix?

I have never worked on one. Everyone i have been around has been on a pole in the middle of the yard and i am not a good pole dancer. This one is on a pole right by my garage roof so i am gonna drag out the ladder soon.

We have had four of those old lights for about 40 years.  I seem to replace a bulb in one or another maybe every 5-6 years. The eyes go bad too, I keep one in stock.   I’ve never seen one fail otherwise.  Hardware stores have bulbs and eyes, for $20-25, you can replace both and be good for a long time.  (Replace both).  The eye module  just twist locks into the top. Easy.  

I bought a Kukuppo 100w 12000lm, from Amazon I really like it it lights  a big part of my yard and is bright ,therefore it is not likely up your alley but it was only 99.00cd in Aug. with 15.00 discount . It's on my pole .

It is possible that the photo eye went bad but they usually fail stuck on. The other is that the ballast died as HPS lights usually begin to cycle on and off when they reach end of life.   You can remove the ballast and direct wire the socket and install one of these . Quite bright and a nice incandescent like color. I too prefer a warmer color , the daylight color gives me terrible eye strain although as a dusk to dawn it may not matter. This: https://www.amazon.com/Super-Bright-Light-Bulbs-Equivalent/dp/B07CGPB5ZP/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=35+watt+3000K+LED&qid=1605904029&s=hi&sr=1-16

Or just replace it with the same thing. They are still readily available. Example:

https://www.amazon.com/Heath-Zenith-HZ-5666-AL-100-watt-Extension/dp/B00BIC7ZN4/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=100+watt+high+pressure+sodium&qid=1605904396&sr=8-2

9 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Diffuser sold separately 

4DFE51B8-6896-4967-B7A0-DA1FB5354080.png

I have several similar ones here.  All same model.  Very happy.  They are bit "white" but bright.  They dont seem to spread out as far vs a MetHal.  Higher the better though.  2 are 7 years old...?  Been so long i forget.  1 is fairly new.  

Weve replaced all our florecent high bay freestall lights with led bulbs.  Just click em in.  so nice...bright and bill actually changed a bit.  With 1000s of dollar a month bill thats impressive imho.

I put two 100 watt equivalent LED daylight bulbs in my refrigerator.

With all the lights off, it is like it is like opening the doors to the Pearly Gates.

😀

• Haha 2
13 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

I put two 100 watt LED daylight bulbs in my refrigerator.

With all the lights off, it is like it is like opening the doors to the Pearly Gates.

😀

100 watt led or equivalent of 100 watt incandescent?