Jump to content

Going to do some custom corn picking


cedar farm
 Share

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Pete1468 said:

Did they come from Burnsville area?

They did. I bought a few more items from him and need to pick them up yet. Making room in the sheds first.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't hook onto mine this fall. I picked some leftover 2019 corn in March, but it wouldn't feed thru fast at all. There is a you tube channel that shows picking with one side of a WC- mounted Allis picker (this is half of the mounted one, from what I have read), and he was moving right along. I think mine just needs more tinkering. Good luck with yours.

1262497309_2020-03-1311_30_12.thumb.jpg.5b9707222ec09de2f678015312150432.jpg

1043644273_2020-03-1311_30_50.thumb.jpg.4943e413cce60f2150f2ea79b4e74361.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ny bill o said:

I didn't hook onto mine this fall. I picked some leftover 2019 corn in March, but it wouldn't feed thru fast at all. There is a you tube channel that shows picking with one side of a WC- mounted Allis picker (this is half of the mounted one, from what I have read), and he was moving right along. I think mine just needs more tinkering. Good luck with yours.

1262497309_2020-03-1311_30_12.thumb.jpg.5b9707222ec09de2f678015312150432.jpg

1043644273_2020-03-1311_30_50.thumb.jpg.4943e413cce60f2150f2ea79b4e74361.jpg

Great picture! Just wondering. Does it pull the husk of or does it leave it on? I have a neighbor that sells sweet corn. My wife said "maybe that would work for that"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cedar farm said:

Great picture! Just wondering. Does it pull the husk of or does it leave it on? I have a neighbor that sells sweet corn. My wife said "maybe that would work for that"

My gut tells me that would be hard on sweet corn, but you won’t know until you try it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cedar farm said:

Great picture! Just wondering. Does it pull the husk of or does it leave it on? I have a neighbor that sells sweet corn. My wife said "maybe that would work for that"

this is what I got in the spring.

1842175954_2020-03-1312_43_13.thumb.jpg.57bed978fda22a3d1a1d229bb6d4b1b4.jpg

But I think it was the variety and harvest timing. The corn never dried down in the fall, and you can see a lot of the ears were snapped off 3/4" below the cob. If they had broken loose at the cob, more of the husks would have gone with the stalk. I was going 1/2-3/4 mph according to the hydro speedo. If I went faster (like 1 1/2mph), the ears would plug up in the back of the snapping rolls. The video of the guy with the mounted picker, he seemed to be moving right along without stopping. The WC doesn't have the power director like the WD had.

The "husking" part of the Allis picker seems to be the extended length of the snapping rolls.

I have my doubts that it would be satisfactory on sweet corn. At the least, the butt end of the ear might take a beating. Try a few stalks and see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lightninboy said:

What's the nice old orange wagon? I don't think I ever saw an Allis-Chalmers pull-type picker. 

Supposed be an Allis wagon. The gentleman was an avid Allis collector who is in his 80's and selling off a few items. In July I pulled home the 66 combine his dad bought new in the 1950's. It was always shredded. The Granite Ia threshing bee featured Allis this past summer and it was fun to bring it there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, cedar farm said:

Supposed be an Allis wagon. The gentleman was an avid Allis collector who is in his 80's and selling off a few items. In July I pulled home the 66 combine his dad bought new in the 1950's. It was always shredded. The Granite Ia threshing bee featured Allis this past summer and it was fun to bring it there.

When I'm using old equipment it is like a step back in time with memories of being with my Dad during the 60's. Sounds like a whole lot of fun to me. ? I hope you enjoy your new toys.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those are real nice! I had a nice Oliver 2 row picker that my buddy asked about this summer. I figured I'll never pick corn again, it hadn't been used it 15 years, so I told him to take it home with him, but I may want a 5 gallon pail or so of ears each year to feed the squirrels. He used it this fall, said it works great.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm no corn picking expert, but from the stories my FIL tells, a lot of them old pickers picked loads that looked a lot like Bills even when they were nearly new. I recall ford and ac being 2 he thought didn't pick very clean. My impression  was always that new idea, ih, and maybe some jds, not necessarily  in that order, did the better jobs. Tho I have heard him say jd never really made a picker.?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

here are a couple videos. They both look like a decent crop of corn. One picks a lot cleaner of husks than the other, probably the corn variety.

Antique 1961 John Deere 2010 , Allis Chalmers Single Row Picker Picking Corn - YouTube

Allis Chalmers Show: 2020 Corn Picking With The 1940 WC - YouTube

 

A friend that was dying of cancer gave me his picker, because he said he knew I wouldn't junk it. It had set for years under the tree line. The first year, all I did was get everything to turn. By then all the corn was combined. The next year, too much patching of holes where the metal had rusted out. By then all the corn was combined. The third year was when I tried it. At that point, all I wanted was to see was, if it would get ears from the stalk to the wagon. After I did 1/4 of the wagonload  verrrry slowly, I borrowed a neighbor's New Idea to finish the field. I went a lot faster, but the corn still wasn't as clean as it should have been. Again, probably the variety.

1666845481_2020-03-1517_06_44.thumb.jpg.aeade655424cca7c8ad2fef08a2e85a1.jpg

1016782002_2020-03-1517_08_30.thumb.jpg.18c1e2199fa58b377b2eadf59f37d47f.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't believe I've ever seen an AC picker in these parts. And everyone picked corn.It was New Idea (and there's still a few around) distantly followed by IH. One Oliver that was a shed queen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Old heads always told me that here, the one to have was a Wood's Brothers, until they were bought by Ford I believe, then everyone switched to IH and NI...........Only have experience with NI, so can't comment on anything else.  Knew guys with IH pickers but never was around them in the field.  I got a 325 NI here that may see some future work the way the ear corn market is drying up around me.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, 806 man said:

When I'm using old equipment it is like a step back in time with memories of being with my Dad during the 60's. Sounds like a whole lot of fun to me. ? I hope you enjoy your new toys.

Thanks. I am just grateful to have a couple sons and daughters who enjoy it. With out the youth the hobby will die. I grew up with a NI 327 and then later on sold lots of parts for them. Bed bearings, rubber finger wheels, snapping rolls ect. In out area 90% NI. Mounted IH and JD 300's made up the other 10% Had NI used stalk roll knives instead of the 3 BPA loss snapping rolls, it would have been the perfect picker.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, cedar farm said:

Thanks. I am just grateful to have a couple sons and daughters who enjoy it. With out the youth the hobby will die. I grew up with a NI 327 and then later on sold lots of parts for them. Bed bearings, rubber finger wheels, snapping rolls ect. In out area 90% NI. Mounted IH and JD 300's made up the other 10% Had NI used stalk roll knives instead of the 3 BPA loss snapping rolls, it would have been the perfect picker.

Funny, old farts here thought a good set of snapping rolls(Atleast ones that haven't went over 50,000 acres:ph34r:) was better than knives.............Can't say either way.  Knew a guy with a 300, he liked it, didn't seem to clean as well as a NI.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That Allis picker is interesting with how it gets the corn from the rolls back to the elevator.  It all seems very low slung.  Cannot say I have ever been around or even seen one.

When my grandfather was running our farm he had a single row Woods picker.  That actually did not do a half bad job of picking.  Was always a little weird to me driving the field what I thought was the wrong direction with it.  When dad and I took over before we were combining the corn we had a NI 327 with an 8 roll bed on it.  Dad wanted a 12 roll bed but the 8 roll was a local machine that had only ever run 500 acres and the price was right.  We pulled it for years with our M and it actually did a pretty good job of cleaning the husk off.  I miss those days of running the picker and old tractors.  Seemed like a simpler time.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A friend mine drug an old Ford picker out of the weeds once. Looked like something the Wright brothers came up with(spindlely). Wrong sided but it did pick corn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...