23 minutes ago, 401 N Michigan said:

Does anyone know how to find out how many 806 MFWD were made.?

Don’t know how to find out. The standard 806 mfwd are rare but have seen a couple sell at farm sales the last years so they are out there. If I would guess between the standard / row crop there had to be 500 or a 1000 made.

The MFD could also be added at the dealer prior to delivery, so exact numbers built could be very difficult to determine.   Not sure if IH ever kept track of the numbers produced of any given option like MFD.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, 401 N Michigan said:

There are a couple Wheatland 806 for sale online now ....

The American Coleman axle was the factory installed axle.  The one with the Big domed hubcap.  Any 806 with the Spicer axle with the tiny planetary hub, the Elwood axle would be a field installed axle. The American Coleman axle was the factory axle until sometime after the start of the 86-series tractors.

• Like 1

I have a farmall 806   Coleman axle. 
Came from Belgium to the Uk. 
never seen one here before so I guess they are pretty rare in the Uk and Europe. Swenson collector tractors in the USA seemed to have had a few for sale at different time. Would be interesting to know how many were made. 

8 minutes ago, England806 said:

I have a farmall 806   Coleman axle. 
Came from Belgium to the Uk. 
never seen one here before so I guess they are pretty rare in the Uk and Europe. Swenson collector tractors in the USA seemed to have had a few for sale at different time. Would be interesting to know how many were made. 

Swenson is about 60 miles from me. His buying area covers North Dakota , Montana and up into Canada western provinces. He has had a few mfwd 806s. People talk about the dealer in Minot Nd having a few mfwd 806s that were tough to sell back in the 60s.  Why I guess between 500 and a 1000 806 mfwd. I know of about 10 through the years. We were in a very small area so when you got into highly populated farm areas I am sure there were more. Here is how I made My estimate out of 250 standard 1456s I have seen or heard of three. So same percentage would get you about a 1000 mfwd 806 I have seen about 10 so that’s my guess.

I live in BIG FARM NC-IL....don't ever remember seeing a 806 mfd---or on any of the models until the Magnums.    If you needed that much traction, you bought a real 4x4.   I'm pretty sure the lower HP MFD tractors were small market in very soggy areas, yet with wide enough equipment to turn them around on the ends- or maybe feedlots.

2 hours ago, dale560 said:

Swenson is about 60 miles from me. His buying area covers North Dakota , Montana and up into Canada western provinces. He has had a few mfwd 806s. People talk about the dealer in Minot Nd having a few mfwd 806s that were tough to sell back in the 60s.  Why I guess between 500 and a 1000 806 mfwd. I know of about 10 through the years. We were in a very small area so when you got into highly populated farm areas I am sure there were more. Here is how I made My estimate out of 250 standard 1456s I have seen or heard of three. So same percentage would get you about a 1000 mfwd 806 I have seen about 10 so that’s my guess.

Maybe this 1456W makes number 4 for you? It has been hard to nail down some things on this one as few as seem to be around.

It just recently came back from the paint shop but it's still waiting on a few small details.20201120_161928.thumb.jpg.89797a23bb40f1060e8892446d3ca21d.jpg

The narrow front 1066 was just gone through and painted as well. 

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, Super A_sepa said:

Maybe this 1456W makes number 4 for you? It has been hard to nail down some things on this one as few as seem to be around.

It just recently came back from the paint shop but it's still waiting on a few small details.20201120_161928.thumb.jpg.89797a23bb40f1060e8892446d3ca21d.jpg

The narrow front 1066 was just gone through and painted as well. 

Yes that makes 4 unless it came out of North Dakota. One was bought from a farm by overly ND and headed out, supposed to be one in our area yet. A salvage guy had a TA housing rear ended for one and  I think Swenson had one or two over the years. That would be first standard mfwd though.

The mfd was an attachment on an 806 just like the ta  ,fast hitch etc  I very much doubt any records were kept as they could be ordered with a tractor uninstalled ,installed at the factory , or as a field attachment for tractors already delivered.

1 hour ago, R190 said:

The mfd was an attachment on an 806 just like the ta  ,fast hitch etc  I very much doubt any records were kept as they could be ordered with a tractor uninstalled ,installed at the factory , or as a field attachment for tractors already delivered.

I agree 100% it's an attachment. Here's mine used hard in the 80s then we went with bigger equipment and a 4wd in 1990.

20191205_172058.jpg

• Like 1

My Dad told me that one of the big farmers here in central Iowa had a couple 1206 MFD and and 806 MFD back in the late 60's.  Before long, they were replaced with 4wd machines as he increased in size.

I remember a retirement auction in East Central Arkansas about 30 years ago that had several fwa tractors, 1066, etc.  I wanted to go really bad but couldn't get off work. I was working as an engineer back then. Thx-Ace 

IMO, other than looks & show, I don't know who in there right mind would want one. You can't get parts and turning radius is horrific. Very impractical in this day and age....

6 minutes ago, ST-470 said:

IMO, other than looks & show, I don't know who in there right mind would want one. You can't get parts and turning radius is horrific. Very impractical in this day and age....

You gotta have something to go get the mail or beer when the snow is deep

• Haha 1
On 11/21/2020 at 9:14 PM, acem said:

I remember a retirement auction in East Central Arkansas about 30 years ago that had several fwa tractors, 1066, etc.  I wanted to go really bad but couldn't get off work. I was working as an engineer back then. Thx-Ace 

My dad went down to Miami Fl to a sugar cane farm sale in 1999 . There was over 100 hydro 186 ,100 fwd tractors there . 

• Like 1

First Colony Farms in eastern NC bought 150 1066's and up 2wd tractors in the middle 70's to farm peat land. Mitchell Tractor converted all 150 to MFD over the course of a year. They would do 3 a week. They made regular runs to Rock Island to pick up coleman axles.

• Like 1

First Colony was started by Malcom McClean (McClean Trucking) They went bankrupt in the middle 70's. They had a huge auction and sold everything. IIRC 50 915s, 150 large frame tractors, a few 666, 686, and 574s. IH GAVE them enough scouts with the purchase that most of the managers drove scouts on the farm. Most of the tractors went out of state after the auction.