DT466 and disk brakes

I have two questions concerning my DT466 swap.

I got this engine from a truck that was sitting in a field. The previous owner had at one time been restoring the truck but had passed away, and I was unable to find out what condition it was in.

First question: Should I be able to turn the engine completely over by hand? I have the radiator out and was able to turn the engine with the fan blades, I turned it about 12 times. I just figured the compression would be to great to completely turn it over.

Second question: Does anyone have a diagram of how to hook up the hydraulic pump to powersteering AND to hydraulic brakes? Its the pump that is on the very top of the engine with two outlets, one one top and the other on the side.

Thanks

Seems odd you can turn a DT466 one revolution with the fan, let alone 12 times.

Never seen a power steering pump on top of the engine with two outlets.  Sounds like the AC compressor to me.  Better post a picture.  

Typically pump pressure goes to the hydrovac first, then to the power steering gear, then back to the pump.  Hydrovac should also have a return that T's into steering gear return. Sometimes the reservoir has a second return port depending on application. 

5 hours ago, Flatbedcowboy said:

I have two questions concerning my DT466 swap.

I got this engine from a truck that was sitting in a field. The previous owner had at one time been restoring the truck but had passed away, and I was unable to find out what condition it was in.

First question: Should I be able to turn the engine completely over by hand? I have the radiator out and was able to turn the engine with the fan blades, I turned it about 12 times. I just figured the compression would be to great to completely turn it over.

Second question: Does anyone have a diagram of how to hook up the hydraulic pump to powersteering AND to hydraulic brakes? Its the pump that is on the very top of the engine with two outlets, one one top and the other on the side.

Thanks

Pictures. First thing what year? Second I think the pump you mention is a vacuum pump maybe?

The red circle is the “pump” I’m talking about. The blue is the reservoir. Currently the top line goes into the reservoir and the side goes into a hydraulic steering assist.

Im not going to use the hydraulic assist but instead use a power steering unit out of an ‘84 1754

I know picture sucks I’ll have to get a better one tomorrow 

F570F85C-06F6-4448-978F-4667BCC01509.jpeg

41 minutes ago, Flatbedcowboy said:

I am assuming the DT is a ‘80s model. It’s non intercooled and no electronics 

What you have is the tank remote mounted. It looks to be a charlynn pump or something like that. You should be able to run steering off your assist power line. I will try to find a pic of better setup for you.

If you have hydraulic brakes, why does the engine still have an air compressor on it? 

So, does this truck have vacuum assist brakes, or hydraulic assist? 

4 hours ago, J-Mech said:

If you have hydraulic brakes, why does the engine still have an air compressor on it? 

So, does this truck have vacuum assist brakes, or hydraulic assist? 

hydraulic assist.
This motor is going into a truck that will have hydraulic brakes, the truck it’s coming out of has air. I just haven’t taken the compressor off yet. 

The motor is coming out of the pictured truck and going into my 1948 international KB11. I’m using the axles and brake system out of a 1984 S1754 that has disk brakes. 
The axle donor has a 9.0l and a different pump setup than the DT466 does. I’m just trying to make them play nice.

I found a s1700 that’s at a local auction yard That showed up today and it happens to have disk brakes to.

It has a different style pump than mine; the reservoir was mounted on top but it went:

pump to steering box, then to the brakes, then back to the pump.

So I will go pump, steering, brakes, reservoir, then back to pump. 

2 hours ago, Flatbedcowboy said:

hydraulic assist.
This motor is going into a truck that will have hydraulic brakes, the truck it’s coming out of has air. I just haven’t taken the compressor off yet. 

The motor is coming out of the pictured truck and going into my 1948 international KB11. I’m using the axles and brake system out of a 1984 S1754 that has disk brakes. 
The axle donor has a 9.0l and a different pump setup than the DT466 does. I’m just trying to make them play nice.

Yes, I understood you were using hydraulic assisted, hydraulic brakes.  I did not realize the truck pictured was the one the engine had been in.  Thought it was what you put it in.

I don't know that it makes any difference whether the flow goes to the brakes or steering first.  Also shouldn't make any difference what style of pump you use, as long as pressure and flow are correct.