Anybody have an idea why the valve cover gasket NLA for D312/360?

Slowly picking away at the 766,  figured very good time to adjust the valves with the fuel tank off & support bracket out of the way also.  Have parts manual for the 300/400 series engines,  made list for the local IH tractor dealer.  The valve cover gasket is no longer available from them,  but all the other parts are.  675389C1 is part number.  Called local IH truck shop,  good number & will have it tomorrow for you.  I know the trucks likely used the D360 longer than the tractors guy did.  Gasket fits 7 different IH tractors,  not sure how many models of trucks used the same engine.  Happy able to get the part,  image it was cluster for everyone involved when tractor & trucks got split up from each other.  Just I thought to share my dumb story with the IH crowd.

4 hours ago, redturbo said:

Slowly picking away at the 766,  figured very good time to adjust the valves with the fuel tank off & support bracket out of the way also.  Have parts manual for the 300/400 series engines,  made list for the local IH tractor dealer.  The valve cover gasket is no longer available from them,  but all the other parts are.  675389C1 is part number.  Called local IH truck shop,  good number & will have it tomorrow for you.  I know the trucks likely used the D360 longer than the tractors guy did.  Gasket fits 7 different IH tractors,  not sure how many models of trucks used the same engine.  Happy able to get the part,  image it was cluster for everyone involved when tractor & trucks got split up from each other.  Just I thought to share my dumb story with the IH crowd.

Need gaskets, just go straight to a Navistar dealer or other aftermarket source.

What I found curious was that one of the first gaskets to become NLA from CNH was the oil filter base gasket. One of the most common leaks on those engines.

• Like 1

I knew the oil base gasket was discontinued but had no idea the valve cover gasket was I've bought two in the last year and never had any issues unless they just did it as well

If I'm not mistaken, the engines went to Roger Penske at some point. Don't know who owns the rights now.

But, the 300 series production was almost nonexistent compared to the 400 series. IH may have used the 300 series on 7 different tractors, but they used the 400 series on 40 or so tractors. They don't get much call for 300 series valve cover gaskets.

I'm sure we are going to see more and more of this, involving more and more common machines, as time goes on. Once old NOS stockpiles are gone, they'll be taking the parts off the books for good.

13 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

They don't get much call for 300 series valve cover gaskets.

Maybe we are all at fault for purchasing aftermarket part(s) that in turn drops CNH's sales numbers. Once their sales history drops below said # they drop it.

I see it all the time where people have googled the part and already know the price, then complain with the price I sell something for.

I have always been the guy that buys OEM as much as possible. OEM upper gasket set is, say 200 bucks while aftermarket is 125. So the head gasket job was either 1075 dollars or 1000. Labor, machining and etc.... is still the same irregardless of what gasket kit I use. 

75 dollars laying on the table.......

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

If I'm not mistaken, the engines went to Roger Penske at some point. Don't know who owns the rights now.

But, the 300 series production was almost nonexistent compared to the 400 series. IH may have used the 300 series on 7 different tractors, but they used the 400 series on 40 or so tractors. They don't get much call for 300 series valve cover gaskets.

I'm sure we are going to see more and more of this, involving more and more common machines, as time goes on. Once old NOS stockpiles are gone, they'll be taking the parts off the books for good.

I thought Penske had Detroit Diesel back in the day?

3 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

I thought Penske had Detroit Diesel back in the day?

Yes and the redesigned 466/530/570 series was branded as the Detroit 40 series and outsourced to other companies.

CaseIH I noticed is crapping on the old machines  or they are so overpriced no one would buy them that's why I very seldom go there anymore tired of the runaround

38 minutes ago, CIHTECH said:

Maybe we are all at fault for purchasing aftermarket part(s) that in turn drops CNH's sales numbers. Once their sales history drops below said # they drop it.

I see it all the time where people have googled the part and already know the price, then complain with the price I sell something for.

I have always been the guy that buys OEM as much as possible. OEM upper gasket set is, say 200 bucks while aftermarket is 125. So the head gasket job was either 1075 dollars or 1000. Labor, machining and etc.... is still the same irregardless of what gasket kit I use. 

75 dollars laying on the table.......

While there's a lot of value in this statement, the problem is these days no matter how popular something is, the bean counters can and will ax stuff for no apparent reasons. It's sad that inventories are governed only by cost, not usefulness. I am sure I stock way more parts than most "inventory analysists" would like to see lol!

4 hours ago, Injpumped said:

While there's a lot of value in this statement, the problem is these days no matter how popular something is, the bean counters can and will ax stuff for no apparent reasons. It's sad that inventories are governed only by cost, not usefulness. I am sure I stock way more parts than most "inventory analysists" would like to see lol!

Good luck selling that theory

Don't mistake "I like" with "popular." CNH has a lot more data on how many of what parts they sell in a year, what sits on the shelves, how long it's been sitting, etc.. They know exactly how "popular" any given piece of equipment is.

So just because you like a particular piece of equipment does not mean that it is "popular" in the sense that CaseIH sells a lot of parts for it.

19 hours ago, Injpumped said:

I am sure I stock way more parts than most "inventory analysists" would like to see lol!

I'm sure if CNH stocked parts like you do, they would have to file for bankruptcy.

4 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Don't mistake "I like" with "popular." CNH has a lot more data on how many of what parts they sell in a year, what sits on the shelves, how long it's been sitting, etc.. They know exactly how "popular" any given piece of equipment is.

So just because you like a particular piece of equipment does not mean that it is "popular" in the sense that CaseIH sells a lot of parts for it.

I'm sure if CNH stocked parts like you do, they would have to file for bankruptcy.

Some observations from 20 years in parts:  A parts department’s most valuable asset is ACCURATE sales history that is then used to determine which parts to stock. This includes recording lost sales.
1.  I Went through a change of ownership at the local IH dealer.  At that time, IH allowed certain parts to be returned on a dealer closeout that were not otherwise returnable. So, it is a prime time to clean out slow movers.  It was an education to see how many parts I had added to stock that did not really have enough sales to justify stocking.  As Matt says, “don’t mistake I like with popular”.
2.  Later I was inventory control manager at a Cat dealership.  Cat classifies parts as Slow,  Medium, or Fast movers.  This is determined by the number of calls per year for each part based on the WORLDWIDE demand.  IIRC it took only 6 calls per year worldwide to be a Medium moving part. A surprisingly low threshold.
3.  Part of the purpose for this classification was to determine the dealer cost for parts ordered on an emergency order.  The price penalty on emergency orders as well as freight charges encourage a dealer to add to stock.  
Good inventory control is an interesting combination of statistics and accounting, and logistics.
Brian

On 11/19/2020 at 5:29 PM, ksfarmdude said:

Good luck selling that theory

I realize it's difficult, if not impossible, to sell that theory.

But. CNH is rapidly developing a reputation of abandoning parts support ASAP. This will continue to trickle down into resale values compared to the competition, which will also indirectly reduce sales of new production. And, the vicious cycle continues.

The green brand hasn't shown many signs of filing bankruptcy resulting from  much better parts support/inventories. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, neukm said:

I realize it's difficult, if not impossible, to sell that theory.

But. CNH is rapidly developing a reputation of abandoning parts support ASAP. This will continue to trickle down into resale values compared to the competition, which will also indirectly reduce sales of new production. And, the vicious cycle continues.

The green brand hasn't shown many signs of filing bankruptcy resulting from  much better parts support/inventories. 

+1.............I used to never worry much about it, between and a lathe and a mill, and buddies in CNC machine shops I could get what I needed............But that won't work for a computer controller for example.  For that reason, I will probably never own another tractor with CASE anywhere on it, even as much as I would like a earlier mechanical MX.

3 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

+1.............I used to never worry much about it, between and a lathe and a mill, and buddies in CNC machine shops I could get what I needed............But that won't work for a computer controller for example.  For that reason, I will probably never own another tractor with CASE anywhere on it, even as much as I would like a earlier mechanical MX.

Hate to tell you but all brands are that way now all controlled by wires