Winter work gloves/mittens

I LOVE the cold, i do have trouble with delicate work with my hands getting so cold i can’t function. I don’t move around a lot like say, a carpenter.. i tend to stand in one place for 10 minutes to 10 hours and do fussy stuff, little screws, arranging wires, etc  i need dexterity, but gloves that offer warmth are too bulky to use, I’ve tried lots of stuff like thin cotton gloves and cut the fingers off a pair of insulated work gloves but what I really think i want ate flip over leather mittens with the finger tips cut off. 
today I was on the ground , Friday ill he 40’ in the air on a conveyor trying to install a 5 hp motor, nuts and bolts and frozen fingertips suck. 
anyone find the wonder glove? 

I had decent luck with those mechanic type gloves that fit tight to your hand. I had a pair from carhart that worked well and held up good. I bought some knock off type from Menards and they didn't hold up well. They won't keep your fingers toasty warm but they are better than bare handing it.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

I had decent luck with those mechanic type gloves that fit tight to your hand. I had a pair from carhart that worked well and held up good. I bought some knock off type from Menards and they didn't hold up well. They won't keep your fingers toasty warm but they are better than bare handing it.

I tried Mechanix gloves today like that,  work great till i am wrestling with something ... im going to get a big pair of work gloves tomorrow and snip the finger tips off.. wear both. Its a pisser , I could split wood all day with a pair of surgical gloves no problem, try and hook up an overhead service and manipulate 3 split bolts and ive got my hands in my armpits trying to get feeling back. 
im hoping i can apply the vest principal. 
I almost never wear a jacket. Almost never cold.. cept the fingers. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Almost never cold.. cept the fingers. 

Same here.  The older I get (I've been working on my third thirty years for a little while now), the harder it is to keep my hands warm.

A pair of lined buckskin mittens over light hi-dex gloves works fairly well for me.  I like the Milwaukee cut level one gloves.  They're fairly cheap, too.  Our local farm store (Rural King) usually sells them for around five bucks.  Try 'em on first, though.  They run a little small.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Work-Gear/Gloves/Dipped-Gloves/Cut-Level-1-Nitrile-Dipped-Gloves

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

Same here.  The older I get (I've been working on my third thirty years for a little while now), the harder it is to keep my hands warm.

A pair of lined buckskin mittens over light hi-dex gloves works fairly well for me.  I like the Milwaukee cut level one gloves.  They're fairly cheap, too.  Our local farm store (Rural King) usually sells them for around five bucks.  Try 'em on first, though.  They run a little small.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Work-Gear/Gloves/Dipped-Gloves/Cut-Level-1-Nitrile-Dipped-Gloves

Mittens without elastic cuffs are a lot easier to pull on and off while leaving the light gloves on.

• Like 1

I absolutely HATE being cold. My middle finger on my left hand will turn white from lack of circulation as soon as it gets cold. Apparently it must have been frost bitten many years ago.

I've found that two latex gloves under work gloves helps and I can pull the work gloves off and still have some dexterity for small parts.

Did I mention that I hate cold?

• Haha 1
Just now, New Englander said:

My middle finger on my left hand will turn white from lack of circulation as soon as it gets cold. Apparently it must have been frost bitten many years ago.

Same finger for me - mashed the tip in a heavy oak door in 1973, and it's the first one to go numb.  Just glad to still have it.

19 minutes ago, New Englander said:

Does that "warm skin" stuff work? I'll buy it straight away.

I does help but not going to make it feel like summer 

I've had good luck with the insulated Mechanix gloves. They fit tight and are not bulky. I've had no problem handling bolts and stuff but small screws may be an issue. But they are warm!

• Like 1

Hate wearing gloves but hate cold numb hands even more.

First year I bought the lightweight gloves on the right, don't know how they will hold up.

Buffalo hide in center wear really well for me.

Choppers for when you don't want to be out but cows need fed and ice chopped

IMG_20201119_003105203.thumb.jpg.ed1cd96b796b299b3114ec6120247092.jpg

I understand your problem, being an electrician also but I don't have a great solution. I typically use multiple gloves like others have suggested. Right now I have been using a pair of Milwaukee high dexterity, smart swipe. They have padded leather palms, insulated backs and "smart swipe" tips. They offer some insulation and good dexterity and the ability to answer the phone. I miss my flip phone at times. I also have a pair of insulated carhartt leather gloves for jobs requiring less dexterity. I have also learned to do as much as possible inside the shop. I know you also install generators, I have been making up a whip and wiring it to the generator when possible. Set the unit in place and connect the other end when on site. It saves some time in the cold. 

9 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

If it's real cold I'll usually wear something like that inside of a chopper mitt. Can do most stuff around the farm with both on and then if needed can pull off the choppers and work for a little bit.

7 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Hate wearing gloves but hate cold numb hands even more.

First year I bought the lightweight gloves on the right, don't know how they will hold up.

Buffalo hide in center wear really well for me.

Choppers for when you don't want to be out but cows need fed and ice chopped

IMG_20201119_003105203.thumb.jpg.ed1cd96b796b299b3114ec6120247092.jpg

My governor called me...............Said your PPE is impressive, especially that head sheild in the back!:lol:

I usually wear something close to the ones on the left side of the picture.............my brother said I must feel like I am wearing 2 clubs trying to do anything.  I never found any gloves that work with small things, might as just wear the clubs, pull them off quick, do what needs done, the put them back on.  I haven't found a way around it yet.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

My governor called me...............Said your PPE is impressive, especially that head sheild in the back!:lol:

When I wear that in public, I have no problem with people keeping their 6 foot distance,😝😄

8 hours ago, 12_Guy said:

I understand your problem, being an electrician also but I don't have a great solution. I typically use multiple gloves like others have suggested. Right now I have been using a pair of Milwaukee high dexterity, smart swipe. They have padded leather palms, insulated backs and "smart swipe" tips. They offer some insulation and good dexterity and the ability to answer the phone. I miss my flip phone at times. I also have a pair of insulated carhartt leather gloves for jobs requiring less dexterity. I have also learned to do as much as possible inside the shop. I know you also install generators, I have been making up a whip and wiring it to the generator when possible. Set the unit in place and connect the other end when on site. It saves some time in the cold. 

I wear the same gloves, outlast others I've tried and a nice compromise of warmth and dexterity.  In colder weather and especially snow I wear these as they are nearly waterproof.

https://www.ohiopowertool.com/p-20153-milwaukee-cut-level-a1-winter-insulated-work-gloves-select-sizes.aspx?gclid=CjwKCAiAzNj9BRBDEiwAPsL0dxEVU2f18FNnyNXyRi9EO6JOgsma41GJwZiw90UQM3HKTVZAEGpzcRoC23wQAvD_BwE

24 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

When I'm out in the cold I know my fingers are going to become useless for a variety of tasks

If I have zipper fly pants on I leave it unzipped so I can get to it when needed...........

But the draft???? Leaving the front door open makes my house plants whither!

32 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

When I'm out in the cold I know my fingers are going to become useless for a variety of tasks

If I have zipper fly pants on I leave it unzipped so I can get to it when needed...........

8 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

But the draft???? Leaving the front door open makes my house plants whither!

I don’t think I’d want to shake hands with him....

4 hours ago, Cliff Neubauer said:

I wear the same gloves, outlast others I've tried and a nice compromise of warmth and dexterity.  In colder weather and especially snow I wear these as they are nearly waterproof.

https://www.ohiopowertool.com/p-20153-milwaukee-cut-level-a1-winter-insulated-work-gloves-select-sizes.aspx?gclid=CjwKCAiAzNj9BRBDEiwAPsL0dxEVU2f18FNnyNXyRi9EO6JOgsma41GJwZiw90UQM3HKTVZAEGpzcRoC23wQAvD_BwE

Those are the gloves I referred to in an earlier post.  I like 'em.