How does one know......

One of the most difficult things I've had to attempt in adulthood is "How does one know what is true". 

This isnt meant to be another Covid post, or be political, but both those subjects are likely the best examples of just what does one take for being truth? Listening to experts? Listening to the news? What fact checkers say on social media?

Or do your own research and form your own opinion, but how does one know what you researched is real? 

The more one thinks about it it really gives you a headache.  My usually applied rule of "take both sides, divide it in half and usually that's where the truth lies" doesnt seem to work anymore.  

As I read yet another social media post saying the sky is falling, is it true and am I the foolish one for saying its exaggerated? 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

One of the most difficult things I've had to attempt in adulthood is "How does one know what is true". 

This isnt meant to be another Covid post, or be political, but both those subjects are likely the best examples of just what does one take for being truth? Listening to experts? Listening to the news? What fact checkers say on social media?

Or do your own research and form your own opinion, but how does one know what you researched is real? 

The more one thinks about it it really gives you a headache.  My usually applied rule of "take both sides, divide it in half and usually that's where the truth lies" doesnt seem to work anymore.  

As I read yet another social media post saying the sky is falling, is it true and am I the foolish one for saying its exaggerated? 

Common sense, it’s worked for me all these years, social media to me is utter baloney, if something is hot and I think it’s hot, I think I know, I don’t need to look it up on a website to ask if there’s a way to check.

I better add also, it ain’t very common any more.

Edited by Dasnake
Verify a statement that’s gone by the wayside.
38 minutes ago, zleinenbach said:

The problem is, we have trouble as adults. Looking back, at my oh so intelligent 18 year old self...I seriously doubt they are really the critical thinking type

Z, ya know what I did at 17, I borrowed a car drove it until I couldn’t anymore hitchhiked and hopped a freight train east, couldn’t find work and the idea ended after a week and a half and I went back home and jobs there, but it was an idea and it made me think and plan what I wanted out of life, ( ok the car thing not so much) but that was a teenage brain trying to figure out its life, lots of smart kids out there who will be even smarter adults given the chance to expand their horizons on their own.

When I was a kid....(dirt wasn't new, but still had warranty), a wise person told me to believe NOTHING that you hear, and HALF of what you see........

Been working pretty good for me so far.

Mike

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Dasnake said:

Common sense, it’s worked for me all these years

Seems that its frowned upon anymore though.  I always thought critical thinking is something that's really pushed in education anymore.  But all I hear is "are you really questioning experts"?  (Be the experts politicians, journalists, doctors, economists etc). 

So how is just accepting whatever is tossed at you critical thinking? 

Funny thing is, if I listened to every last thing an "expert" told me, it definately wouldnt have a 100% success rate

34 minutes ago, mikem said:

When I was a kid....(dirt wasn't new, but still had warranty), a wise person told me to believe NOTHING that you hear, and HALF of what you see........

Been working pretty good for me so far.

Mike

Me too! I always tell my kids when they ask about stuff they know is bogus, but heard. I just always say that, "don't believe none of what you hear and half of what you see and you will be just fine".

Along the same lines, I’ve noticed that if someone says they know about something that’s a red flag that they know nothing about the subject. My first experience with this was riding with my cousin. I suggested he slow down a bit. His response was “ shut up, I know how to drive”. On the very next curve he lost control and we wound up upside down in the ditch! I can’t count how many times I’ve heard someone say they know what they are doing just before they screwed it up. I’ve come to the conclusion that if someone is knowledgeable about a subject they will never utter the words “ I know _____”.

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, MarkG said:

Along the same lines, I’ve noticed that if someone says they know about something that’s a red flag that they know nothing about the subject. My first experience with this was riding with my cousin. I suggested he slow down a bit. His response was “ shut up, I know how to drive”. On the very next curve he lost control and we wound up upside down in the ditch! I can’t count how many times I’ve heard someone say they know what they are doing just before they screwed it up. I’ve come to the conclusion that if someone is knowledgeable about a subject they will never utter the words “ I know _____”.

^^^ I like this. 

53 minutes ago, dannyredfan said:

Along the same lines, I’ve noticed that if someone says they know about something that’s a red flag that they know nothing about the subject

Words which describe the MEDIA to a 'T', as they believe, and do not hesitate to tell you that their 'education'/'profession' has made them "EXPERTS ON EVERYTHING", but when reading/listening to them, shows that they are "KNOWLEDABLE ABOUT NOTHING".

• Like 1

Right now I am not believing anything I hear or read from the left or right

The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Finding that truth comes easier with age but still like picking flyshit out of pepper

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Dasnake said:

Z, ya know what I did at 17, I borrowed a car drove it until I couldn’t anymore hitchhiked and hopped a freight train east, couldn’t find work and the idea ended after a week and a half and I went back home and jobs there, but it was an idea and it made me think and plan what I wanted out of life, ( ok the car thing not so much) but that was a teenage brain trying to figure out its life, lots of smart kids out there who will be even smarter adults given the chance to expand their horizons on their own.

Oh I agree- not all bad apples by any means. I should have made my statement clearer. 

10 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Seems that its frowned upon anymore though.  I always thought critical thinking is something that's really pushed in education anymore.  But all I hear is "are you really questioning experts"?  (Be the experts politicians, journalists, doctors, economists etc). 

So how is just accepting whatever is tossed at you critical thinking? 

Funny thing is, if I listened to every last thing an "expert" told me, it definately wouldnt have a 100% success rate

Yes I am!

I question all these reporters that tell the same story with their personal embellishments added. 
You can thank Dan Rather for that. It’s only gotten worse and it won’t stop until the silent majority starts to pickup the shovels and pitchforks. 

Until then, study your Bibles, your/our history, and pray for our country 

• Like 1

Anytime someone professes to be a expert on a subject it instantly raises RED flags. Used to have to do weld test procedures for a jobs before they started. The procedure's were set by so called experts the company hired who owned the project (third party). They would have the preheat/post heat, amps and types of rod to be run. Most of the time it would not work. So after many hours and failures and they run out of people/equipment to blame for the failures most of the times the owner of the project would come around and tell us to figure out how to weld it and write it up.

On the other hand I have know a few people over the years that claim to be dumb as dirt but end up being pretty knowledgeable when they need to be...I’m not one of these, when I claim stupid, it’s what it is unfortunately....

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Finney said:

Most of the time it would not work. So after many hours and failures and they run out of people/equipment to blame for the failures

You just summed up what the experts are doing with COVID to a T. Trying stuff that isn't working and when it doesn't work, blame everyone else under the sun why it didn't work. It's never their plan that doesn't work, no. Im never wrong. Its everyone else's fault. Problem is that's people who would have had the adult talk with them are a minority at the moment or voted out. Im afraid we're in it for the long haul. ( not that it hasn't been a long haul already)

7 hours ago, NY1468 said:

On the other hand I have know a few people over the years that claim to be dumb as dirt but end up being pretty knowledgeable when they need to be...I’m not one of these, when I claim stupid, it’s what it is unfortunately....

Yes I learned the hard way those "dumb" ones are the ones to be careful of. Use to sell hay to a guy that had lots o fuzzy math always rounded to his favor,  you question it and "I'm just a dumb Wapp you figure it."