TIMBER !!!!!!!

Little chain saw work this afternoon. 
C8D97A05-46FE-4FB8-A5B2-B85107B610BA.thumb.jpeg.18402de907461bcc041732d618c68d4a.jpeg

nice 15 footer,

A399027E-DD1A-4A95-AAF1-3D432FF0254C.thumb.jpeg.a5b50428e6fbe1e70ca81e534f4e0fe6.jpeg

hope 20 ton is enough .

25EE72C8-7561-4E2A-9B5C-57389731DA5E.thumb.jpeg.7cf73c2a870b46b91500a7ebd2b9adbe.jpeg

The sign of a sharp blade.

000E0674-26C1-44C4-B52D-AA56D15CE508.thumb.jpeg.1acbd5f3fc2ac0747447274ed3f59fd6.jpeg

Waiting for some one to show up to call 911 if this goes wackadoodle  on me. 

• Like 4

Looks like cotton wood. Fun fun. Must be about 4-3/4’ across?  Took a bunch of cotton wood out of my dad’s grove, some were just under 48”. Could just get ‘em with a 24” bar. If they leaned wrong we leaned ‘em the way we wanted with a 300’ cable and a wheel loader. Big thump when they hit. Then start shootin’ the coons that spill out. Be safe!! Get that hinge perfect! Your life might depend on it!

• Thanks 1

660? Looks good, be careful, i got complacent last week, had a maple swivel on me, almost lost my saw.. didn't hit me till later.  the saw shouldn’t be wht i am counting my blessings for

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Looks like cotton wood. Fun fun. Must be about 4-3/4’ across?  Took a bunch of cotton wood out of my dad’s grove, some were just under 48”. Could just get ‘em with a 24” bar. If they leaned wrong we leaned ‘em the way we wanted with a 300’ cable and a wheel loader. Big thump when they hit. Then start shootin’ the coons that spill out. Be safe!! Get that hinge perfect! Your life might depend on it!

I"m guessing Chinese elm or piss elm

2 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Piss elm? 

Common tree in midwest like cottonwood that was planted in every yard in the 30-40s. Tough tree that dumps your yard full of branches with a bit of ice. Gets sap runs down side that looks like piss. Cut one down and a million saplings pop up off roots, 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shot_gun_red said:

I"m guessing Chinese elm or piss elm

That elm has the grain of the wood really twisted and it cuts hard and also doesn't really split in nice chunks. Our 30 ton splitter basically just plowed through the grain and torn the pieces apart instead of splitting. Name came from how much hard work it is to cut and block for firewood.

5 hours ago, shot_gun_red said:

m guessing Chinese elm or piss elm

Didn't Dutch Elm disease wipe most of them out???

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sandhiller said:

Didn't Dutch Elm disease wipe most of them out???

All of the old large elms are long gone.  Now they only make it to 8 to 12” in diameter before Dutch Elm disease kills them and they fall on the fences.  IMHO just a weed along with red cedars.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, E160BHM said:

All of the old large elms are long gone.  Now they only make it to 8 to 12” in diameter before Dutch Elm disease kills them and they fall on the fences.  IMHO just a weed along with red cedars.

Well any 12” red ceader you want gone you can send to me 😁

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Head North! I have more than you’ll want or need!

You better be meaning that, ill take you up on it

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Well any 12” red ceader you want gone you can send to me 😁

Me too .  We plant them for wind break.  Last year I had a company come out with an 80” tree spade and move 16 cedars into my north tree line , last month we did six more . Certainly not the prettiest evergreen but I have had a lot of other types succumb to the diseases that  the Cedars seem to be immune from. I have lost four long needle Norwegian pine, and five Columnar white pine in the last five years . The cedars just keep growing regardless . 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, 12_Guy said:

How tall? 

I could only guess.  Much of the top was dead  and broke off in the last storm when we had some 70 MPH winds .  When I removed the bark it was full of bugs. Thousands , mostly Japanese beetles. It had lots of weight hanging on one side so I didn’t really need a big notch Plus I fully expected it to be hollow so I didn’t just dive into it without knowing. 

• Like 2