New CEO for CIH?

https://powersportsbusiness.com/top-stories/2020/11/18/wine-resigns-as-polaris-ceo-will-head-case-ih-farm-equipment-maker/

Oh boy. I am not a fan of Polaris. Whatever I had to work on of Polaris struck me as either designed inside out or as cheaply as possible or both. Not that CNH isn’t already headed in that direction in maximum overdrive. 

11 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

Polaris struck me as either designed inside out or as cheaply as possible or both.

Those WILL be his 'contributions' to CNH/CIH.  (And they will be advertised as "innovative", and he will receive HUGE bonuses for such forward thinking.)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Gearclash said:

https://powersportsbusiness.com/top-stories/2020/11/18/wine-resigns-as-polaris-ceo-will-head-case-ih-farm-equipment-maker/

Oh boy. I am not a fan of Polaris. Whatever I had to work on of Polaris struck me as either designed inside out or as cheaply as possible or both. Not that CNH isn’t already headed in that direction in maximum overdrive. 

Funny you say that bought a polaris 450 4wd and a honda 420 quad bike 8 months difference between the 2 chalk and cheese.

14 minutes ago, 5288IH said:

Funny you say that bought a polaris 450 4wd and a honda 420 quad bike 8 months difference between the 2 chalk and cheese.

Everyone knows Honda is the best in the motorcycle/ATV world.  (Honda lover here.) It's like comparing IH to, I dunno.... Allis Chalmers maybe, lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To me the comparisons are apples and oranges or sporting equipment and tractors, not to be contrarian but it seems to me that most of the ceos that change jobs is because they get a very healthy raise😎

1 hour ago, J-Mech said:

Everyone knows Honda is the best in the motorcycle/ATV world.  (Honda lover here.) It's like comparing IH to, I dunno.... Allis Chalmers maybe, lol. 

Try and tell my wife  that she does not like changing gears😀

Does honda even make a foot shift atv anymore? I was told by a dealer a couple years ago that Honda was going to electric shift only on the gear drive models. I never really looked into it more, I'm not in the market for a new atv any time soon. Could someone else possibly verify this.

9 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Does honda even make a foot shift atv anymore? I was told by a dealer a couple years ago that Honda was going to electric shift only on the gear drive models. I never really looked into it more, I'm not in the market for a new atv any time soon. Could someone else possibly verify this.

I’m sure the base models are still foot shift. The high end ones will use the more expensive tech.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Yes. We run the foreman's at work. Could get either foot shift or elec shift. Unless something changed this year I believe they still offer it

• Like 1

I never rated Polaris very high at all..............With that said IMO the quality has dropped on the Honda's, they used to build them like a brick sh*thouse, but if they last forever guys don't replace them nor did they sell parts, hence the downhill slide.  Alot of the later manual shift Foremans around me had issues in 2nd and 3rd gear with the shift forks being crappy, would pop out of gear for example...................Electric shift machines not being the most reliable in the electrical department............And I sure as heck hope they got the UTV's figured out, when they brought the "Big Red" out everyone here went and traded gators for them because of the "Legendary ATV Status"...........Big mistake, what a rolling pile of crap.  

This is all coming from a guy who runs Honda 3 wheelers yet.

I have a question, why don't these companies promote people up the ranks now....................Honestly WTH does this guy know about farm equipment?  Would be like the backhoe king hiring me to run his electrical business????????????

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

I have a question, why don't these companies promote people up the ranks now....................Honestly WTH does this guy know about farm equipment?  Would be like the backhoe king hiring me to run his electrical business????????????

Have to agree with you there....

I've had to work under a manager that moved from a document shredding company to a short haul trucking company.  He just didn't get it. No clue how to manage it.  He fired every manager under him except like 1 or 2.... I'd say 10 of us in all, and I had only been with the company 18 months.  The upper guys fired him about 2 years later.  Amazing how long they (corporate entities) will tolerate incompetence. But question anything and you're a dissenter.  Fall back in rank and don't ask questions! 

All they are hiring is number crunchers. Used to be every ceo ups had started out as a young package handler and rose thru the ranks. The last two have come from outside the industry and only worry about pleasing the stockholders now. 

Guys the CEO doesn't have to know anything about the product. They don't design or develop anything nor do they assemble it. They run the company.

Look back. IHC promoted the bean counter who advised the COE to release the 560 to head the company. That wasn't a brilliant move either. 

So tell me, just where today you are going to find a person experienced enough to manage a billion dollar a year company, who has a farm background?

Rick 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, oldtanker said:

Guys the CEO doesn't have to know anything about the product. They don't design or develop anything nor do they assemble it. They run the company.

Look back. IHC promoted the bean counter who advised the COE to release the 560 to head the company. That wasn't a brilliant move either. 

So tell me, just where today you are going to find a person experienced enough to manage a billion dollar a year company, who has a farm background?

Rick 

It won't be a billion dollar company for long running it the way they have been...........................Nobody said they need a farming background, but they should have understanding of what they are selling and who they are selling it to, and how it is put together to sell it.  There was a big regional bakery that started here in my town by a family, my grandfather started working there when it was small and would often visit the son office who ran it when it went big for his opinion on things, the son started out running the delivery truck and mixing batches in the evening.  My grandfather started as a grunt and did everything dirty, quit high school, and before he retired from there he ran the shipping departments of 2 big locations at the same time.  Guys like that is what you need, they knew the business, knew the customer, and did their best to make it "Their Company".  After the majority holding owner died, the board members who owned enough interest sold to a canadian company, who sold it to a mexican company...............they now bring in plant managers with little to know experience in the industry, they make weird changes, spend a bunch of money, and then they are thrown out to start again with a new guy.  In the mean time a guy on the floor would like the shot and knows how to make it work, but nope, can't have that.  I blame alot of that on our culture of a piece of paper, instead of the culture of the past where it was clearly shown ability.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

I never rated Polaris very high at all..............With that said IMO the quality has dropped on the Honda's, they used to build them like a brick sh*thouse, but if they last forever guys don't replace them nor did they sell parts, hence the downhill slide.  Alot of the later manual shift Foremans around me had issues in 2nd and 3rd gear with the shift forks being crappy, would pop out of gear for example...................Electric shift machines not being the most reliable in the electrical department............And I sure as heck hope they got the UTV's figured out, when they brought the "Big Red" out everyone here went and traded gators for them because of the "Legendary ATV Status"...........Big mistake, what a rolling pile of crap.  

This is all coming from a guy who runs Honda 3 wheelers yet.

I know this adds nothing to the original post but I'll go deeper down this rabbit trail.

I agree with what you said about Polaris. When they first came out in the 80s we all thought with a snowmobile type clutch and a two stroke engine they wouldn't be around long. I had a chance to ride a few and I'll admit they were fast and rode nice. They supplied an atv to the people that wanted to go fast and ride smooth and people bought them up. I know a lot of older people who like them for simplicity, not having to mess around with gears. Personally, I think they are too heavy and I'm not a fan of the belt drive.

I'm a honda guy, have been from the start but I will say that honda has been lacking in performance for years. I would love to see a sporty 4x4, even better if it had a hand clutch. If I were to buy a new trail quad today I would probably look at can-am.

Speaking of CaseIH's current upper brass.....whatever happened to Scott Harris? Last I knew he was the Veep for CaseIH North America? When he was named VP in 2018, he came with a lot of "ag friendly" credentials....native Wisconsin guy that grew up around a farm, worked at more than one area in a dealership....sounded really impressive. Looks like he is still with CaseIH, but you sure don't hear much about him.

Afraid to crawl out under Fiat's thumb?

1 minute ago, SDman said:

Speaking of CaseIH's current upper brass.....whatever happened to Scott Harris? Last I knew he was the Veep for CaseIH North America? When he was named VP in 2018, he came with a lot of "ag friendly" credentials....native Wisconsin guy that grew up around a farm, worked at more than one area in a dealership....sounded really impressive. Looks like he is still with CaseIH, but you sure don't hear much about him.

Afraid to crawl out under Fiat's thumb?

That is what they need............Maybe he is under a gag order.