Jet pack

New Englander

16 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

monumental geography

people fly with jet power everyday and have for a long time

it's no different than riding in a vehicle or on a motorcycle..........

A jet airplane is a little more tried and true than a backpack jet.  Motorcycles have been around for well over 100 years. I think it’s much different than riding a motorcycle or flying somewhere for business/vacation. Just my opinion, but if we end up somewhere they are doing jet pack trials you are more than welcome to take my spot in line. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18-20 years ago a guy wore a bat suit, he strapped a jet engine onto each leg. He filled up a couple of hot water bottles with jet fuel to use as tanks, he went up in a hot air balloon jumped out, he made it horizontal about 5 miles before he ran out of fuel. opened up his parachute and landed. He said that had never been done before. So things have progressed nicely. 

The appeal for un-tethered  pure human flight is there. When you think of it, early powered flight of any kind was extremely risky and many died in the evolution; now we take it for granted. I'm amazed that when I'm commuting on an airliner that the window seat people immediately pull their shades down. There's no wonder of flight at all, just a tube you get into at one place and out of somewhere else. I, who have spent thousands of hours in the air, still look out the window! I'm still fascinated by the scenery below.

I understand the guys who fly those things but also realize that I'm mortal. Young men have yet to realize that. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, New Englander said:

The appeal for un-tethered  pure human flight is there. When you think of it, early powered flight of any kind was extremely risky and many died in the evolution; now we take it for granted. I'm amazed that when I'm commuting on an airliner that the window seat people immediately pull their shades down. There's no wonder of flight at all, just a tube you get into at one place and out of somewhere else. I, who have spent thousands of hours in the air, still look out the window! I'm still fascinated by the scenery below.

I understand the guys who fly those things but also realize that I'm mortal. Young men have yet to realize that. 

After watching the above videos of the jet packs then watching the base jumper guys in the bat suits glide over the ground I've come to the conclusion the bat suit guys are a entirely new kind of crazy. The guy they were interviewing said he knew 25 people that died doing what they loved

• Like 1

14 hours ago, New Englander said:

Absolutely! The jet pack guys with a wing and a parachute look entirely sane in comparison.

What is that saying about old and bold pilots. Never have both?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 806 man said:

What is that saying about old and bold pilots. Never have both?

There are old pilots

and there are bold pilots,

but are no old and bold pilots

?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Chuck Yeager would have disagreed  with you...

Yes sir.

Hoover, Yeager, Crossfield, Armstrong, Glenn 

All had that special something that put them in a very elite group

• Like 2