The Holy Grail Of The 66 Series

So I saw this on tractor house today. This tractor has got to be rare because seeing a 66 series just with those fenders is rare enough. It’s on tractor house if anyone wants it just thought I’d share what could be the holy grail of the 66 series. This seems like it would be right up Long Farm’s alley with it having a belly tank too.  

4675BD67-96EC-4753-B040-C6B4D627A3D3.png

Hopefully somebody that knows the difference will chime in. Obvious it was a cab tractor and somebody rounded up parts like battery covers and filler plate. You can see the stripe from cab yet on it.  There is a different angle or the 66 series full coverage fenders are shorter on front. Those are 806 fenders on a 66.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree, those are not 66 series wide coverage fenders.

I think the rounded fenders were probably associated with the swinging drawbar tractors wheatland style tractors 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, stronger800 said:

But the rear of the fenders looks right? Right? And it’s the forward side that’s long? I’m trying no not to look to close though. 

No the rear of fender for 66 has a piece out of vertical panel. The fronts are shorter also. This tractor was put together to make a honest black stripe cabbed tractor into a sought after early wheat land. If I am not mistaken it was mentioned for sale on here a year or two ago came from western Canada.

On 11/17/2020 at 8:33 PM, TP from Central PA said:

Depends who you ask.............To me the holy grail 66 is one with a narrow front.

What about 66 series with a single front wheel?  Image that’s pretty uncommon.  

21 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

To me, this is the holy grail of the 66 series!😁

20201116_071213.jpg

My 15 needs a paint job. And I'm realllly tempted to be that person and make it a black stripe clone. (Has deluxe cab like yours) 

Only reason knew anything about,  been looking thru 66 series parts book making list of parts to order from dealer.  Came across this,  thought that’s odd to me.  Also could get a belt pulley for 766 & 966’s.  Sorry that none of this has to do with big wide fenders.

0521FCE5-6431-47FF-8E26-C5F2E234E99D.jpeg

7AD4F46D-DAA4-454A-8B5D-D27A36AF761D.jpeg

A4254E82-280B-4A01-81C9-6EC9F52EF428.jpeg

33BCCC11-37C4-40E6-93BB-6FFB5D9D4015.jpeg

On 11/17/2020 at 9:38 PM, dale560 said:

Here are pics of the real 66 fenders. The. Last pic is back shot of posted tractor. It was made up with wide fenders.0DB8CD16-570C-4C4A-A6A9-E923D6E6DF1A.thumb.png.06c17e4b6c5a0dccab627c79420ee6c1.png

7B6E4790-9A8C-486D-BD34-BE6E36B96AA6.png

I noticed that the brochure only lists the 766 with the C291.  This must be one of the very first 66 series brochures.

Man, I used to love looking at those.

11 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

My 15 needs a paint job. And I'm realllly tempted to be that person and make it a black stripe clone. (Has deluxe cab like yours) 

What is the fascination with black stripe 66 series tractors here?  You aren't the only one who seems to love them.  I hated the look of the black stripe.  Never did like it.  If I owned one, I'd paint the panels white like they were in the beginning. 

16 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

What is the fascination with black stripe 66 series tractors here?  You aren't the only one who seems to love them.  I hated the look of the black stripe.  Never did like it.  If I owned one, I'd paint the panels white like they were in the beginning. 

Opinions are like a**holes....we all have them.  When I was a kid my Grandpa was looking at a brand new left over black stripe 1066, ended up buying a couple year old, '74 I believe 1066.  I liked that 1066 and spent many hours in it, but sure was disappointed he didn't get the black stripe.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, IH Forever said:

Opinions are like a**holes....we all have them.  When I was a kid my Grandpa was looking at a brand new left over black stripe 1066, ended up buying a couple year old, '74 I believe 1066.  I like that 1066, but sure was disappointed he didn't get the black stripe.

Why the disappointment?  I don't see the attraction.  Black stripe matches no other style of decal IH ever used.  To me they look like the b****** child of the line up.  I didn't like it when IH switched the front side radiator cover panel to red from white in the 86 series either.