Finally made it

Paid off a 40 acre piece of property we purchased in '10 being 19 at the time I was very uncertain about it at the time. Idk how people do 30yrs. Ten years seemed to have went quick looking back though 

That's my college money

IMG_20200629_191137705.thumb.jpg.74167cff160139420ad1fedd505ed3f9.jpg

From June of this year while mowing hay

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Better investment than college IMO............If the Soviets don't take it for the common good.

Correct on both accounts.  Around here 2nd generation properties have gone from just 30,0000 to a million or more in value in just 50 years.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Better investment than college IMO............If the Soviets don't take it for the common good.

You're right on the better investment than college part.

• Like 3

Great achievement especially at your age, remember though your actually just renting it, pay your property taxes...

• Like 1

Thanks gentleman. It's not too bad off ground roughly half is woods which are mostly hemlock which might come in handy one day. The fields were pretty wore down and mined. Two of them I do remember were fit enough to grow soybeans. It does grow good corn. The hillside where I took the picture from is a bit steep and some of it is rather wet poorly drained and some of it is dry almost like gravel ground but that is pretty typical for here. Have a piece of old clay tile that needs fixed that drains a spring. Some more additional tile here and there would improve it greatly I believe. About a mile and a half from the home farm which isn't too bad it's just the hill the road is on getting to it has a very steep grade that slows things down. Wasn't for that we'd haul alot more manure to it 

10 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

That's my thinking. Plus my highschool experience really turned me off from furthering my education. How I even passed that is amazing. I remember pretty much nothing I had learned after the sixth grade. I guess I don't do bad for a sixth grade education

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, TeachersPet1066 said:

Congrats.  Getting tougher to do...I have seen 7K to 10K per acre recently and you can’t be that far away from us.

We are just a few miles south of NY state. It's actually the northern horizon at the home farm. Can see more of NY than of PA. Good ground around here is still relatively inexpensive compared to those prices. And ground that we mostly farm wet poorly drained clay loam sells for even cheaper. If the price is too high it sits on the market for a long time

Good job buying the land when you did and getting it paid off early in life, it will prove a wise investment! If in the future expenses get bigger and money becomes tight you will always have the land to produce income and I'm pretty sure it won't decrease in value!

• Like 1

This is great! Anytime you can get a debt off your back is a cause for celebration. Have a glass of champagne to celebrate with your family!

• Like 2

Nicely done!

• Like 1

You started owning land before I did age wise. I was 24 in 2008 when I bought my place, It has been in the family for eons. My Great grandfather died in 2007 and after his nephew drug his feet settling the estate out of having a fit. My Grandmother ended up with the buildings and 180 acres. ( there was 30 acres of woods and wet ground that went to her nephew for hunting which i didn't care if I had anyway and he'd enjoy it more) Grandma was in her late 70s then and said why do i want it now. Justin is involved in the farm, ill sell it to him. Payed on it until her death 2 years ago when debts were forgiven according to the agreement. 

Brother bought 40 like you back in 2014. Local college had the president's mansion there but decided to get rid of it and the land surrounding it. They broke 41 acres off from the house and sold it separately which he bought. He was 25 at the time.

Again congratulations.

• Like 2