How come no giant frozen turkey breasts?

You can buy giant (20+lb) frozen WHOLE turkeys, but if you just want a breast, the biggest you can get is about 8lbs. A 20lb whole turkey should yield about 12-14lbs of breast.

You can buy giant turkey LEGS, but you can't buy a giant turkey breast. What do they do with the giant turkey breasts?

38 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

You can buy giant (20+lb) frozen WHOLE turkeys, but if you just want a breast, the biggest you can get is about 8lbs. A 20lb whole turkey should yield about 12-14lbs of breast.

You can buy giant turkey LEGS, but you can't buy a giant turkey breast. What do they do with the giant turkey breasts?

maybe they are have breast reductions!

• Haha 1
31 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!

They can, but usually don’t fly very high or very far. My FIL had about 30 wild turkeys around when he dairied, it was common for them to roost n trees or rafters of an open shed. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

40 minutes ago, IH Forever said:

Good question.  My wife and kids love turkey breast so I spoke a bone-in turkey breast several times a year.  It seems like 6 lbs. is as big as you can find.

One breast at 8 pounds would be 16 pounds on that turkey- as far as I can remember there’s 2 of ‘em on a bird...

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!

First episode I ever saw.  I was hooked.  One of the best sitcoms ever, in my opinion.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Steve C. said:

First episode I ever saw.  I was hooked.  One of the best sitcoms ever, in my opinion.

Les Messmen was funny as heck.

And when Johnny Fever did the drinking reaction thing, hilarious 😆

Local Hutterite Colonies raise a lot of turkeys. 

When they load out turkeys, the pay loader is setting close by.

A turkey's heart will just explode when being loaded due to their size and normally they get little to no exercise.

The dead ones go into the loader bucket.

The Hutterite women breast out these turkeys and freeze them for their use.

The ones that live go to Dakota Provisions, Huron, SD, who is the local turkey kill plant here.

Call:

Wyshbone Market  (Local Dakota Provisions retailer)
325 Market Street
Huron, SD 57350

(605) 353-9759

Monday-Friday 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Saturday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM.325

They would ship you a Care Package for a credit card #.

They will get you what you want and in any amount.  They also sell all kinds of smoked and sliced turkey at low ball prices. 

PS:

Turkeys are caught and placed on a covered flat belt, like an escalator, and they ride it to the top to then be put into cages on the trucks. 

One of those weird things you have to see.

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Except, a "turkey breast" is the entire rib cage section of a turkey. Two of what you are thinking of.

Correct.  A bone-in turkey breast includes the rib cage, so both boobies are there.  In this case your math doesn't work IHfan4life.

Wild turkeys around my place fly up into tall hemlocks every night; sometimes into lower branches during the day for short periods. They use a fair bit of runway to get off but do a good job of getting 50' up in the trees. Domestic turkeys can't fly. As Les said, they'd drop like bags of wet cement.

Perdue sells a processed turkey that is excellent eating. They run around 25# and can be purchased all white or a combination of white & dark meat. I'll take one over a Butterball turkey breast any day of the week. Wife served them for years in her catering business with lots of compliment. She buys then at Gordons Food Service though should be available at other wholesale food outlets 

8 hours ago, IH Forever said:

Correct.  A bone-in turkey breast includes the rib cage, so both boobies are there.  In this case your math doesn't work IHfan4life.

I might have glanced over it, but I don’t recall anyone saying it was bone-in OR boneless. I’m sticking with my theory.

On 11/17/2020 at 4:14 PM, IH Forever said:

Good question.  My wife and kids love turkey breast so I smoke a bone-in turkey breast several times a year.  It seems like 6 lbs. is as big as you can find.

1 hour ago, Ihfan4life said:

I might have glanced over it, but I don’t recall anyone saying it was bone-in OR boneless. I’m sticking with my theory.

I quoted my post above.  Bone-in is mentioned.  Not a big deal, I just don't want you to think I'm so dumb I didn't realize turkey's have 2 breasts. 😄

• Confused 1
18 hours ago, New Englander said:

As Les said, they'd drop like bags of wet cement.

Not turkeys but a similar expression.  Way back when an RAAF Mirage made the news by crashing when the fire went out. 

One description I heard was "That they have the glide angle of a brick outhouse with the door open"

They raise alot of turkeys round here. Butterball is their brand but they package them for almost everyone. They further process alot of turkey breast into deli meats, etc. Some dark neat is ground but it's not a good seller. That leaves alot of legs they smoke, etc. Packaged breast meat is sold in smaller packages because most people want the smaller size.

Domestic turkey's can't fly because they have their wing tendons or something cut at the hatchery the same as chickens. Additionally they are too fat to fly!

Thx-Ace