290 transmission question

Harvester66

Guy called me says he lost even gears, was wondering are these completely different then the boxcar transmission, or similar with electronic shifting? Dealer told him might have a blown oring. Not sure I even want to tackle this job.

8 hours ago, Harvester66 said:

Guy called me says he lost even gears, was wondering are these completely different then the boxcar transmission, or similar with electronic shifting? Dealer told him might have a blown oring. Not sure I even want to tackle this job.

The transmission layout is the same.
Good possibility that it is a leaking jumper tube. Steel tubes are available to replace the plastic ones and the o-rings have been changed to a 90 durometer to hold up better.

The Odd/Even manifold is on top of the transmission directly behind the cab air cleaner.  You can remove the steps, the air cleaner and blower to access. You might need to raise the cab a little bit to get the air cleaner housing out and yourself in.

The park solenoid is on that manifold as well, good time to update it to the latest version.

• Like 1