Osb, plywood, for basement ceiling

Wanting to Finnish my basement ceiling, would like to use something in 4x8 sheets,  I saw on one site a guy using lauan type plywood, my trusses are 2ft oncenter I would think thinner materials would sag eventually. Thinking osb or plywood would work well. Some paneling is nice but again worried about sagging.

1 hour ago, jimw said:

Wanting to Finnish my basement ceiling, would like to use something in 4x8 sheets,  I saw on one site a guy using lauan type plywood, my trusses are 2ft oncenter I would think thinner materials would sag eventually. Thinking osb or plywood would work well. Some paneling is nice but again worried about sagging.

If you get tempered 1/4" osb it will work.

About 15 years ago I finished a basement ceiling using 2' x 4' acoustical ceiling tiles fastened to the truss bottoms with cup washers and screws.  Still had easy access to plumbing, etc.  I used a brick pattern.  This was in a woodworking shop which is directly below the kitchen.  Sound deadening was excellent.

Just a thought.  These tiles haven't sagged at all in 15 years.

What if you would put 2x2's a crosse in between the joists for added support just a thought.

27 minutes ago, jimw said:

Tiles would be easy to work with, not sure how price would compare, what is tempered osb 

The more expensive one. It's stiffer. There is a cheap grade of 1/4" osb thats wavy gravy.

Just a thought. We had several below the joist water lines and such it wasn't possible to make a ceiling so we covered the areas where the heat ducts are and painted the rest. Wife went with a flat black and it soaked in some so it kind of resembles a stain. Sounds crazy but it looks real nice. The worst part was insulating and blocking between the joists at the basement walls.

We used osb to cover the I side walls of our garage when we insulated it. I have regretted using osb ever since. Had to paint it 3x to cover, places on the osb peeled, and you can still see that it is osb.

2 hours ago, boog said:

We used osb to cover the I side walls of our garage when we insulated it. I have regretted using osb ever since. Had to paint it 3x to cover, places on the osb peeled, and you can still see that it is osb.

I refuse to use OSB for that reason among others. Nothing but full dimensional plywood here. 

FREAKING stuff is out of site cost here in Nashville.  Metal looks cool if it would work with wife's idea of decorating.