TD-141 The Saga Continues...

Binderdan

A In early 2017 I had the opportunity to obtain an IH crawler if I could remove it from the ranch. I quickly realized it was much bigger than I had anticipated and that the engine was stuck. I had thought it was a TD-6 or TD-9 until I went to look at it.

Some of you may have followed the original post (which is now archived) in which I tried to unstick the engine so I could get it to run and load it under its own power. As of my last post in October 2017 I was still unsuccessful after trying to free the engine with diesel, ATF, Acetone, and a pry bar.

Being that I am stubborn as a mule and don't give up easily I continued to dump Diesel fuel and ATF down cylinder #1 when I was in Colorado over the next couple years. In hopes that maybe, just maybe I could still save it. Unfortunately I was not successful. The owner still wanted it gone and I began brainstorming on how I could move it home. I decided the only way I was going to be able to move it was to move it in pieces.

20201012_115800.thumb.jpg.cdc2bfea2bf356c078baf41fb9693e54.jpg

• Like 1

I made a trip to Colorado in October of this year with the theory that I could dismantle everything related to the dozer blade and haul it home on my car trailer. The previous month I had began spraying all the bolts and pins with PB Blaster.

I knew the blade was over 10ft wide and would have to come off to transport since 8.5ft is max legal width(without permits). Unfortunately the large U that connects the blade to the machine is still 9ft wide and doesn't come apart any smaller. The somewhat dry climate here in Colorado made the fasteners and pins come out fairly easily. 

20201012_124330.thumb.jpg.152d67d4ad3f58c203c57c9bb1993395.jpg

20201012_124343.thumb.jpg.5b1552548d7e898162db7f9c6c6eb172.jpg

The blade had sank into the dirt(or manure) about 5 or 6 inches making it very hard to move. I dug it out with a shovel and drug the blade out of the way with my pickup. Highlift Jacks, wood blocks, and a hammer got a lot of the work done. Thankfully I brought my large wrench set and 3/4 drive socket set.

20201012_164821.thumb.jpg.c22d69cc0634759cf50be8a47eae030e.jpg

I winched the U onto my trailer over some railroad ties so it would clear the trailer fenders, and I centered it so it overhung the sides evenly on each side of the trailer hoping to draw less attention to my "wide load". I waited for the owner of the ranch to get home so they could load the blade with their tractor. Make no mistake, that U and the blade are HEAVY!!!!

20201018_140204.thumb.jpg.baf1730712280b4dd98d4d0a906fd613.jpg

20201018_140212.thumb.jpg.0828b2616bed4ffa3513696e7875b77c.jpg

After tying everything down and finishing my other business in Colorado I came back for the trailer and began my 500+ mile drive home. I made the drive in late evening and took back roads around towns. Made it safely home late that night.

• Like 3

I figure I wont be needing the blade at least until its running. So it wont be in the way I unloaded everything and stashed it out of the way.  I still sometimes wonder how I got by before I had the backhoe or loader.

20201101_110524.thumb.jpg.f6330955f0e108bcfbb3584d267a6811.jpg

While going to look at a truck in a nearby town I stumbled upon something that caught my eye! Looks to be a UD-14A power unit. Looks to be the same engine and revision as the dozer! Same grille too! I haven't been able to get closer to it yet but if it is free and not stuck. It might be the solution I need to get this thing going. Unfortunately the owner isn't easy to deal with. But I'll keep trying.

20201019_161731.thumb.jpg.3a71b6ac145c9d539792a20d4ee34b6b.jpg

• Like 3

Good luck on getting the power unit, what’s the plan for the crawler keep reducing or find a deal on hauling? Nice loader is that a 515?

Thank you for the kind words! It certainly has been an interesting ordeal.

My loader is a 510, I wanted a 515 but I got such a good deal on this 510 I couldn't pass it up. Been a great machine!

The plan was to remove the rest of the dozer blade lifting stuff, as well as the Pullman Standard PTO winch to reduce weight. But with winter weather quickly approaching I needed to act soon before it was inaccessible in the mud and snow.

Last week I headed for Colorado again, this time taking my large trailer in hopes to make something happen. I have a friend who collects antique crawlers that lives about an hour from the TD-14A and he agreed to bring his old Caterpillar D4 dozer to help at least pull it to break the tracks loose and move it to a more accessible location on the ranch. On a cold and windy morning we set out to the ranch. He unloaded the Caterpillar D4 and I got a chain ready on the TD-14A. The D4 pulled the TD-14A from its resting spot and drug it around to the driveway in front of the barn. It actually rolled fairly easy but didn't steer well. The rancher said that it didn't steer one direction and they used to have to back up to turn one way. So it sounds like one of the steering clutches is stuck. Both brakes seemed to function well.

We decided to go for it and try to load the complete machine onto my trailer. My friend put some old conveyor belt down on my ramps to avoid damaging the ramps, a trick he has used for years. I started out using my 13,500 lb winch on my trailer with a snatch block. It actually worked well until the battery gave up. We used the D4 and a chain to make small direction adjustments and sorta steer it as it went up. He also pushed when the winch struggled.

Sadly, nobody took pictures of the loading... ?

But we got it loaded!

20201108_100655.thumb.jpg.0626196e5e1dcc8e3eb2144e4b8c5bdb.jpg

20201108_100640.thumb.jpg.aafe9a54c690c598a8eed0b242708281.jpg

As you can see, my F-350 is not happy about the situation.

I towed it 45 miles(in the opposite direction I needed it) to a friends house to park it until my business in Colorado was done. During the 45 mile drive I decided that this thing has NO business behind a single wheel one ton pickup! Mainly concerned about transmission issues, it stopped fairly well with the electric over hydraulic disc brakes. But I am NOT hauling it 530 miles like this, especially not over the Raton Pass!

But I needed to figure out how to get the trailer home now that its loaded...  Hmm... What to do...

• Like 1

Local concrete plant has a 510 they use daily for years, they love it, another local paving outfit have a really large IH loader, old fella said it was one of his all time favourites really stable

The 14 is kind of in the middle range for hauling, kind of small for tractor trailer, edge of too big for pickups although their payload is ever increasing, maybe with a doolie or 550 it would work, trailer looks ok, maybe moving crawler a little more rearward would work?

Dan,

Great story about the rescue of this machine! Love the pictures and the thought that nuts and bolts are still removable. We have instant lock tite weather here. infact Locktite should look into using water, salt and drastic temperatur changes in their products to secure fasteners Sure works here in NW PA.

Looking forward to your adventures. One thing you have is large equipment to work on large equipment. A huge plus!

Regards,

Chris

• Like 1

Looks like I found a solution! My friend's dad in Colorado has a trucking business and I made a deal with him to help me get the TD-14A home! Much safer behind a 359 Peterbilt than my F-350!

In order to pull my gooseneck trailer with a semi truck I had to replace my gooseneck ball adapter with a kingpin. I used a Wallace Forge 2085207 pre-drilled king pin. Went right into the tube on my trailer, and on the highest adjustment was perfect height for the Peterbilt.

897107282_wallaceforge2085207.jpg.060ebcab89848b6f0d531da37dbacccd.jpg

This left one other issue, well two actually. Trailer lights, and trailer brakes. My gooseneck trailer has a 7way RV style plug, while the truck has a standard semi trailer plug. There are the same number of terminals but they are a different setup. In particular unlike automotive trailer wiring, semi trailer brake lights are on a separate circuit entirely than the turn signals. I had to build an adapter and use a Curt 56190 3 to 2 taillight converter to allow proper trailer light function. For the brakes I temporary installed the brake controller from my pickup into the Peterbilt, and ran a 12ga wire from the cab to my adapter.

20201111_105144.thumb.jpg.2cb360c2844f71079ce38d1518bf6398.jpg

Another issue we had was that the trunions(?) stuck out slightly out past the sides of the trailer making the load slightly overwidth. Neither of us particularly wanted to meet Mr. D.O.T. on the way. So I had to remove the rear blade support pieces to get everything under 8' 6" wide. It came apart surprisingly well for a 64 year old machine. Although one bolt did break.

20201111_132304.thumb.jpg.fe4aaaebed97269d95b17c9fb9167052.jpg

We also rolled the TD-14A forward on the trailer for better weight distribution onto the Peterbilt.

574399724_20201113_162654Blackout.thumb.jpg.f1ecdfd2c415564b4a3a54a743fd7d93.jpg

Although more expensive, I think this was a much safer and reliable method. Probably much cheaper than buying a new transmission too! lol!

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 5:37 PM, Binderdan said:

Thank you for the kind words! It certainly has been an interesting ordeal.

My loader is a 510, I wanted a 515 but I got such a good deal on this 510 I couldn't pass it up. Been a great machine!

The plan was to remove the rest of the dozer blade lifting stuff, as well as the Pullman Standard PTO winch to reduce weight. But with winter weather quickly approaching I needed to act soon before it was inaccessible in the mud and snow.

Last week I headed for Colorado again, this time taking my large trailer in hopes to make something happen. I have a friend who collects antique crawlers that lives about an hour from the TD-14A and he agreed to bring his old Caterpillar D4 dozer to help at least pull it to break the tracks loose and move it to a more accessible location on the ranch. On a cold and windy morning we set out to the ranch. He unloaded the Caterpillar D4 and I got a chain ready on the TD-14A. The D4 pulled the TD-14A from its resting spot and drug it around to the driveway in front of the barn. It actually rolled fairly easy but didn't steer well. The rancher said that it didn't steer one direction and they used to have to back up to turn one way. So it sounds like one of the steering clutches is stuck. Both brakes seemed to function well.

We decided to go for it and try to load the complete machine onto my trailer. My friend put some old conveyor belt down on my ramps to avoid damaging the ramps, a trick he has used for years. I started out using my 13,500 lb winch on my trailer with a snatch block. It actually worked well until the battery gave up. We used the D4 and a chain to make small direction adjustments and sorta steer it as it went up. He also pushed when the winch struggled.

Sadly, nobody took pictures of the loading... ?

But we got it loaded!

20201108_100655.thumb.jpg.0626196e5e1dcc8e3eb2144e4b8c5bdb.jpg

20201108_100640.thumb.jpg.aafe9a54c690c598a8eed0b242708281.jpg

As you can see, my F-350 is not happy about the situation.

I towed it 45 miles(in the opposite direction I needed it) to a friends house to park it until my business in Colorado was done. During the 45 mile drive I decided that this thing has NO business behind a single wheel one ton pickup! Mainly concerned about transmission issues, it stopped fairly well with the electric over hydraulic disc brakes. But I am NOT hauling it 530 miles like this, especially not over the Raton Pass!

But I needed to figure out how to get the trailer home now that its loaded...  Hmm... What to do...

If you had the TD14 moved a few inches to the rear of your trailer ,the 350 would have sat level and been a lot happier,still keeping about a 1000 lbs on your hitch .I rented a  trailer ,same as yours with the 10000 axles,same configuration etc except bumper hitch instead of 5th wheel, with my Dodge 3500 1 ton,with a similiar weight 4 wheel drive tractor with no problem.I hauled it 1150 km,over the Rogers pass,(snow covered)no problem at all. I am sure you would have been fine ,especially on the long hill portion, just dont run it in drive or overdrive on the hard pulls, keeping  the engine revs up and saves heating the crap out of your torque converter . I winch stuff often,but I only have enough cable on my winch to cover the first wrap,as you only get your max pull (in your case,13500 lbs ) on the  FIRST wrap only.Most people are unaware of this., thats why batteries are killed quickly. On the first wrap,the amp draw is minimal ,as the winch has its" lowest gearing"  on that first wrap.I have extra cable loose for long pulls and take it off as I get closer to the trailer. I guessing your trailer weighs in about  around 6000-6500 lbs or so? I even ,as you did,use a snatch bloke sometimes,and this ,while halving your line  retrieval speed,further decreases the amp draw.Makes a huge difference to battery life . BTW,really nice trailer you have  !!

Peace of mind now, hope you can secure the replacement power plant 

Think hauling my 14 was exactly the same $$$ as purchase price about the same distance you have and that was a bargain back haul from a guy hauling hay to the lower mainland 

The funky hippie paint job attracted some attention on the way here?

Bare tractor is around 18,000 to 20,000 lbs with all the extra guards, frames, and winch could be over 26,000. I would say its good to put a bigger truck in front of it. All it takes is one brain dead driver to destroy your day. The stopping is most important part.

On 11/23/2020 at 10:44 PM, Pukeko said:

If you had the TD14 moved a few inches to the rear of your trailer ,the 350 would have sat level and been a lot happier,still keeping about a 1000 lbs on your hitch .I rented a  trailer ,same as yours with the 10000 axles,same configuration etc except bumper hitch instead of 5th wheel, with my Dodge 3500 1 ton,with a similiar weight 4 wheel drive tractor with no problem.I hauled it 1150 km,over the Rogers pass,no problem at all. I am sure you would have been fine ,especially on the long hill portion, just dont run it in drive or overdrive on the hard pulls, keeping  the engine revs up and saves heating the crap out of your torque converter . I winch stuff often,but I only have enough cable on my winch to cover the first wrap,as you only get your max pull (in your case,13500 lbs ) on the  FIRST wrap only.Most people are unaware of this., thats why batteries are killed quickly. On the first wrap,the amp draw is minimal ,as the winch has its" lowest gearing"  on that first wrap.I have extra cable loose for long pulls and take it off as I get closer to the trailer. I guessing your trailer weighs in about  around 6000-6500 lbs or so? I even ,as you did,use a snatch bloke sometimes,and this ,while halving your line  retrieval speed,further decreases the amp draw.Makes a huge difference to battery life . BTW,really nice trailer you have  !!

Hi Binder Dan,,my comments were based on my book giving a weight of 17500lbs bare tractor . . I omitted to take into account the weight of the  canopy, blade rams and winch and side  mounts etc,so putting it  to probably 22000lbs plus.So your decision to go with the bigger truck made a lot of sense,especially considering the distance and terrain,but mainly for the "stopping" part !!  I was close to 30000lbs ( at scales) all up ( truck,trailer ,tractor,tools, slip tank etc) with mine ,and I knew it was there,so that extra you had on  may not have made the trip very comfortable with the one ton, so if you took offence to my initial comments,that was not the intent and I apologize for that.

Yea, after that 45 mile drive to the truckers place, pushing max allowable EGT, Oil Temp, and Transmission Temps I wasn't about to do that for 500+ miles. Although once up to speed it wasn't too bad, I even managed to pass a oilfield semi. Taking off from a stop was brutal, especially that darn stop light right before a hill. I had initially estimated it at 18,000 lbs + 7,500 lb trailer + 7,000 lb pickup. I never did scale it at the truck stop but we later decided I was way low on my estimate.

Davo727 my trailer is 32', usually advertised as a 27+5. I like the length. If I have a load dock I can haul two Scout IIs at the same time. And not as difficult to maneuver as a 40'.

We headed out in the Peterbilt on a Friday evening just before sunset and drove through the night. The Perterbilt, with its CAT 3406B, engine brake, and 13 speed made easy work of the load, but you definitely knew it was back there. I used the same truck to haul my 510 Payloader (14,000 lbs) on a 53' Doonan step deck trailer from Colorado to New Mexico and I feel like the TD-14A on my gooseneck pulled harder. We got to our destination at 4:30 am and got some much needed sleep.

The next morning we decided to unload the TD-14A. I had originally planned to use a very long chain and "send it" off the trailer. But the truck driver volunteered to operate the brakes on the TD-14A for a smooth decent down the ramps, so I used my Farmall 856 Custom and 30' of chain to pull it off.

20201114_085327.thumb.jpg.985f48d3ea0fbbb957bb6c13143afa1e.jpg

20201114_085659.thumb.jpg.4df1d698458e96d3f3adbad3330d03bf.jpg

The unloading went smooth and without any issues.

20201114_090813.thumb.jpg.1f339c9da13b9d95d080ae8f21690d7c.jpg

Made it to its new resting spot for now. Over 3.5 years worth of work, and being too stubborn to give up, and its finally home. Now to get it running! But I got bigger fish to fry right now. Hopefully I can start on it soon.

• Like 3

In case the replacement power plant does not work out

THE BAR STARTER

• Like 1