Grapple for skid steer

vtfireman85

Looking for a grapple for the 236B we just bought. Ideally I would like to pick up brush but also logs from log loads and 40” stuff to set on the long splitter for the sugar wood. I see some that look more like a rock bucket, full width, they look cool but I wonder if I would be much happier with a narrower one designed for log lifting. Budget only allows one at the moment. Machine uses universal SS mounting configuration. 
i will also add it might be a handy thing if it could attach to the Kubota, which is an L3800, even if it is somewhat large, the Kubota has better ground clearance and I could take smaller bites. 

I've seen one where a guy took an old bucket from a log loader and hung it from about a four or six foot beam which mounts to a skid steer. I'm not sure what he did with the swivel if it was locked in position or if it swiveled freely, only one hydraulic on that skid steer. If your picking up large rounds to set on a splitter I'm sure you could leave it locked.

• Like 1

I had a Viring skeleton bucket with dual cylinder grapple. You could pick up anything other then big round bales. (They were to far out front) I think it was 72 inches wide. I got to where I could pick twigs from the lawn. 

• Like 1

We have one just like this with separate clamp cylinders on our 1840 it is more of a general purpose one and we use it for everything from moving logs and firewood to tearing down barns and loading junk roof steel in dumpsters.  It might not be made for the specific job you have in mind but it will work for many other jobs to.

one benefit of large space between teeth is it will cut the yard but not tear up chunks 

62958EFB-F30D-4A2B-86F2-E15E7B4EC6AB.jpeg

• Like 1

I bought a grapple for use on my Bobcat 753 about 17 years ago. It was built by Loflin Fabrication in Denton , NC which is about 50 miles from me.  https://www.loflinfabrication.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Loflin-Catalog.pdf   Loflin  was the inventor of Root Grapples. 

I have their Standard Duty model, 60" width. It is a stoutly built unit that has had no damage in all the years of use handling a lot of logs, limbs and brush, rocks , broken concrete. etc. Once you get one, you will wonder how you ever got along without one.

I'm on email list of this company  ( https://www.palletforks.com/skid-steers/grapples-and-rakes/?start=0&sz=30    because I  bought a tree and post pulling attachment from them. They build root grapples along with many other devices. 

• Like 1

I have a Tomahawk brand rock bucket grapple for my L3130. I use it for everything from moving logs, rocks, brush, to even rough grading with the teeth on the cutting edge. Between that and the thumb on the backhoe, that tractor is a wood working machine. 

Local tractor jockey bought a bunch of them on auction from the factory and he was selling them via Craigslist for $900 about 3 or 4 years ago.

Only issue with using the skid steer attachments on the Kubota is the loader geometry, the tractor SSA plates are mounted a little higher than the skidsteer, the lower ends of the loader arms are right at ground level. The attachments still work, you just have to remember that the loader arms are so low. My tractor is a 2006 model, things might be different on newer models.

Tomahawk is available on line, just type it in to Goggle and it will come up. I can't figure how to copy and paste a link from my tablet.

• Like 1

I bought a root grapple from quick attach.  It wasn't cheap but it's very heavy built.  I've torn out concrete with it and it's held up fine.  I'd rather pay more up front and have a good one then pay less sand fix all the time.  

KIMG0198.JPG

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

Personally I think I would get a set of forks with a clam/ grapple on it. 
When budget allows, or you find you’re using it mostly for logs, then get a specific grapple for that job

I would want either another set of forks or something, I would hate to bend up the good forks doing this kind of duty, but that isn’t a bad idea. At the mill they have that on a JD loader and those forks take a beating, it lives in the log yard and feeds the debarker/beast chipper.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CC_Ranger said:

I have a Tomahawk brand rock bucket grapple for my L3130. I use it for everything from moving logs, rocks, brush, to even rough grading with the teeth on the cutting edge. Between that and the thumb on the backhoe, that tractor is a wood working machine. 

Local tractor jockey bought a bunch of them on auction from the factory and he was selling them via Craigslist for $900 about 3 or 4 years ago.

Only issue with using the skid steer attachments on the Kubota is the loader geometry, the tractor SSA plates are mounted a little higher than the skidsteer, the lower ends of the loader arms are right at ground level. The attachments still work, you just have to remember that the loader arms are so low. My tractor is a 2006 model, things might be different on newer models.

Tomahawk is available on line, just type it in to Goggle and it will come up. I can't figure how to copy and paste a link from my tablet.

Well dang.. where was i?!?!

8 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

I've seen one where a guy took an old bucket from a log loader and hung it from about a four or six foot beam which mounts to a skid steer. I'm not sure what he did with the swivel if it was locked in position or if it swiveled freely, only one hydraulic on that skid steer. If your picking up large rounds to set on a splitter I'm sure you could leave it locked.

That was what the thumb on the 580K was originally, now it is full custom built, the geometry was off but it sure beat not having one. 

• Like 1

I just took delivery of one of these and a set of forks to fit a smaller John Deere Tractor I have.  Haven't had time to use it yet, but it seems well built for the price.  Also I got it shipped in less than 2 weeks.  Many other places I shopped were 8 to 12 weeks shipping.  Made in the US too!  They have lots of choices if you want a universal mount.  Mine was John Deere QD so the choices were more limited.

https://www.mtlattachments.com/attachments/mtl-hd-72-skid-steer-rock-grapple-bucket-twin-cylinder-attachments

21 hours ago, Pete1468 said:

I bought a root grapple from quick attach.  It wasn't cheap but it's very heavy built.  I've torn out concrete with it and it's held up fine.  I'd rather pay more up front and have a good one then pay less sand fix all the time.  

KIMG0198.JPG

thats what I have. havent busted the teeth off yet. well built attachments. used it on the CTL and a kobota tractor

20 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I would want either another set of forks or something, I would hate to bend up the good forks doing this kind of duty, but that isn’t a bad idea. At the mill they have that on a JD loader and those forks take a beating, it lives in the log yard and feeds the debarker/beast chipper.

If those boys at the mill cannot tear one up.....

Nevermind. You and Sid could break an anvil with a feather duster!!!

49 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

If those boys at the mill cannot tear one up.....

Nevermind. You and Sid could break an anvil with a feather duster!!!

I’d like the anvil once you get done please. ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cliff Neubauer said:

I've got this rock grapple bucket from Mid-State equipment and have been happy with it, I thought was the best all around use design.

20200402_122940.jpg

Looks like a bird of prey there?

• Like 1

When it comes to grapples there is really no right or wrong. Just the one that best suits your needs. If you want a good all around unit a scrap or skeleton grapple is a good choice. If your dealing with mostly logs and brush then a brush grapple like Pete posted is a good option. Ar work we run more like time grapples. They see probably 98% logs and brush. The latest one we got is a Bobcat brand. Very heavy unit with 2" round tines. Can be spaced however you like, right down to 3 or 4". Its heavy enough I would not be afraid of moving some stones with it. Many manufacturers make one in the same style. I you want one that will last I would stay away from Stout and the other types that are at every consignment auction sale. They go cheap for a reason. 

I have a HLA Debris Grapple. It works very good for logs and brush, but have to be careful by stumps or frozen ground. It uses smaller tines, and they can break pretty easy, but that's what I wanted for manure and bales. I pick stones with it on the field but will not dig stones. The grapple is heavy enough but the tines are not. They do make one with the big round tines though

Here's some pics. First ones are of my HLA. Unfortunately I cant find one where you can see the tines lol. Last 2 are of the Bobcat one we have at work. And yes it is missing a time now lol

Snapchat-564315711.thumb.jpg.34376a29f53a60b05894374e5cd296a3.jpg

Screenshot_20201118-071417_Chrome.thumb.jpg.657bf356de7e66620c1ff781f6add6dc.jpg

Snapchat-546230917.thumb.jpg.0ee65d8eef4a5d1e8be4a384bccacaef.jpg

Snapchat-1457954664.thumb.jpg.85ca973fd7b387783a7e3003ec387c33.jpg

I made a grapple for my forks. It is used on a compact utility tractor. It will stand straight up to allow for pallets and close to hold limbs, logs etc. I like it because it is lightweight. The root/rock grapples are awesome but heavy and will quickly use up the lifting capabilities of a smaller machine. Weight is something to consider. 

20 minutes ago, 12_Guy said:

I made a grapple for my forks. It is used on a compact utility tractor. It will stand straight up to allow for pallets and close to hold limbs, logs etc. I like it because it is lightweight. The root/rock grapples are awesome but heavy and will quickly use up the lifting capabilities of a smaller machine. Weight is something to consider. 

Got any pics? 

Out of all the ones I have used, I like a genuine Bobcat demo grapple bucket the best..............Was built the stoutest with the solid heavy floor, heavy grapples and shielded cylinders.  And I am not a Bobcat fan.

So when we get pictures of this low use Cat?????  

10 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Got any pics? 

I made it to be lightweight and easy to remove. 7854DB86-C270-4BBE-BFC6-4131B6080525.thumb.jpeg.0b473b9e17174e38f594efe1afac06e3.jpegIt slips into a receiver tube so it can be rotated 90 degrees to get out of the way for bulky pallets. 57C48FCF-6E5C-4E8C-BF79-34CD3FC0CF8A.thumb.jpeg.af825ddbba6c753a6c3b5085478af6a4.jpeg28A71AEC-0723-423D-B3D0-2BD3E7187BEA.thumb.jpeg.6f977d196b73438ef0db2d20c8034918.jpegWhen fully open, the “hook" is over 5’ above the forks. This works nice to pick up and move piles of limbs for clean up work. 2F883E92-A052-4F79-815E-14B2011E07FB.thumb.jpeg.a648b8998cdca2b22c978e757f3c16c6.jpegThe forks, bracket and grapple together probably weighs less than 400lbs. 

• Like 1