count your blessings

2020 sure has been a challenge but as I was thinking today it hasn't been all bad...Here are some things that happened to me that were positive.  

I added another 12' of space to my garage to store my Cub Cadets and have a space to work on things- something I'd wanted to do for the past 9 years. 

997390252_garage1.jpeg.4dd1a3ca4299930e79bbd78d58a572cc.jpeg

1106698820_garage2.jpeg.fa5629e9762033b342dfaa8573d53d53.jpeg

I finally found a 73 that I had been looking for a while.

665000077_73dealer.jpg.f0f7ff2a4c04ed3f96a724fc60f2dcd1.jpg

We were still able to take a family vacation camping on the other side of the state.

camping.jpg.61c0cc59a63c56a54163241bbaf9f2de.jpg

I attended two plow days; one in Alvordton Ohio

2117468223_CCalvordton.jpg.82012a2757672bddbb810a8e49fd480b.jpg

And another in Ottawa lake MI.  Got to drive a little tractor co tractor and custom built plow.  

1391493218_ottawalakeplow.jpg.cdc65bf0329ed7e7706429ec6e0f6693.jpg

and I did some plowing of my own at our family farm last weekend.

1987176292_plowingatfarm.jpeg.211d1651f2231aaf67d974d5935aea40.jpeg

My brother moved out of my parent's house and got his own.  Oh yeah he got engaged too.

My sister moved into a home and out of an apartment.

A family member was declared cancer free.

Michigan State beat Michigan in football.

My daughter continues to grow smarter and smarter each day. 

I changed positions in my job and am much more happy where I am now than I was a year ago.

How has your 2020 positively impacted your life?

• Like 15

Got some exciting new fence equipment coming, 

Made friends across the country in the fence industry.

Decided it's better to have the tool than do it the hard way.

Got a large job for next spring.

Marriage is better than ever before.

• Like 8

Was able to go to a plow day and got to meet Smoker 1 .  Was able to buy The 1999 Ford f350 with 7.3 that I had my eye on for the last year and half. Now looking for a cheap H or M to tinker with and fix up.

• Like 1

I left a corporate job at the end of March and went to work for a friend’s construction company as an estimator.  Best move ever!  It’s like I get to play in my buddies sandbox every day. 

Our son graduated from HS in the spring and youngest daughter started HS this fall. Older daughter graduates HS in the spring and has been accepted to multiple colleges for fall of 2021. 

Everyone is healthy in my immediate circle and the grownups haven’t  missed any work. 

Overall felling very blessed and can’t complain. 

• Like 2

Your header says it all, listening to the media, politicians, every other doom and gloomer we would'nt get out of bed, mom and I have aches and pains but thats to be expected at our timeline, she takes two pills and I take one, other than not crossing the border we go, do and enjoy whatever we want, glad to see others on the forum do to, big thing don't take anything for granted, ya never know whats around the corner.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

Your header says it all, listening to the media, politicians, every other doom and gloomer we would'nt get out of bed, mom and I have aches and pains but thats to be expected at our timeline, she takes two pills and I take one, other than not crossing the border we go, do and enjoy whatever we want, glad to see others on the forum do to, big thing don't take anything for granted, ya never know whats around the corner.

I have to wonder how many pills US doctors would have you on. I haven't got much faith in them. Maybe it's just my luck.

1 hour ago, redneckhippie said:

I have to wonder how many pills US doctors would have you on. I haven't got much faith in them. Maybe it's just my luck.

I dunno, being diabetic sustained by diet, high BP is the one pill I need, high  cholesterol is again done by diet, my weight ain’t bad 220 and lower, other than that there is no reason to see a doctor other than joint issues.

• Like 3
48 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

I dunno, being diabetic sustained by diet, high BP is the one pill I need, high  cholesterol is again done by diet, my weight ain’t bad 220 and lower, other than that there is no reason to see a doctor other than joint issues.

I'm glad you dont need much. My comment was suggesting we have a bunch of pill pushers down here. I try to stay away from doctors. I'm sure they would try to put me on something.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, redneckhippie said:

I'm glad you dont need much. My comment was suggesting we have a bunch of pill pushers down here. I try to stay away from doctors. I'm sure they would try to put me on something.  

I tried to get them to keep me on oxy years ago but they got all pissy😁

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

For us this year overall was a lot better than the last few years far as the farming goes.  Better crop and better prices.  

Same here. Hay crops were much better than the past few years. We got all the crop off in fall, and dry. That hasn't happened in 3 years. Got the timely rains and yields were average to above average. 

• Like 2

I got all my hay sold early, and for a decent price too. Found a 5088 for a good price, glad to have it, I know I will like it even more when I start working ground in the spring. Lost one part time job and now have a better one. Just happy that we have an awesome governor, because too many people have not had the opportunity to go to work every day and have a decent year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Got the wide front on the M, finally bought the A that I've been trying to buy for over a decade,  bought a new camper and used it a lot,  my kids, wife and I are all healthy,  my Son bought a Cub Cadet. Rebuilt the engine in our 109 Cub Cadet and also put new pistons in the A. It's been a good year but I do miss the fairs and tractor shows.

20201022_135605.jpg

20201018_172242.jpg

20201010_075556.jpg

20200901_174145.jpg

• Like 6

I was glad to find two plow days.  I like them 1000% better than shows.  

Have struggled some emotionally with 2020.

Daughter had virus but has recovered. Mild symptoms on her part.

All things considered tho I have been lucky I guess. Work never shut down so have been able to keep earning a living. Live in a state that hasn't gone crazy with restrictions s to date anyway.  

Picked up a couple decent cubs to start a small collection.  

20201023_175743.jpg

20200820_194654.jpg

20200520_181510.jpg

• Like 3

Have most of the crop harvested. Market is decent.

Dad passed away with out suffering for months like some do.

Wife still loves me so I still have a warm place to hang out and sleep.

Dogs still think I'm a alright guy.

6199E71B-A3E4-4F68-800E-6CEC7BFC8E19.jpeg

• Like 2

Luckly my wife's manufacturing employer was essential and she kept working.  And honestly, having the older boy and nephew home from school we got alot done that would have normally not happened.  But life has sure changed, and my grandfather at almost 90 is going down hill, but hopefully he will get home soon.  I told my wife last night that 2020 will be remember as the year looking back that was more about fear than anything else, which is why it is 2020:lol:  I hope 2021 is better, but not getting my hopes up.

Probably the only good thing the virus brought us here personally was 2 pieces of equipment, one I bought when it started when everyone was locking up and saving, other I bought at the height of it for cheap, again because the owner didn't want to set on it and it had issues we easily cured

4960grindinghay.jpg.8863db941ebd527705b91fa842b1e0e2.jpg

2 hours ago, 806 man said:

Have most of the crop harvested. Market is decent.

Dad passed away with out suffering for months like some do.

Wife still loves me so I still have a warm place to hang out and sleep.

Dogs still think I'm a alright guy.

6199E71B-A3E4-4F68-800E-6CEC7BFC8E19.jpeg

She does?  Good to hear spuds are in.  Ahead of last fall i hope.  Last 48 we got 3+ " rain.  If it wasnt in here it aint gonna be.  Did you see Da Fuhrer press conference today.  Since lockup 1 didnt work we to repeat the exact same thing and lock up #2 tomorrow.  Most items he hit are nonsensical to a level i am even shocked by. 

Prices are looooow.  But the CFAF program Mr Purdue manages saved us.  Late last year we (brother) decided to get "milk insurance"(like crop) and every day i mutter a prayer of thanks.  Have had some of the lowest drama workers in my 22 years dairying.  Being a farmer the cv19 stuff really hasnt bothered me.  Know friends whove had and recovered uneventfully.   But we keep working, people eat etc.  Election in our state didnt work but we can prayerfully figure out how to navigate a ego maniacals 3rd tenure.  0 kid drama, some real fun camping trips.  Went Austin for Afbf conference in Jan and met Bill!  As usual a cool RPF member.  Sent dad to tulare for show and he got to meet tony and had a ball with his brother.(uncle we have gpas farm from)

Good thread 

I was just thinking about that same thing today. My family has been healthy, We were blessed with another grandchild in May, Work is steady and going well. This spring I purchased a tractor and started my own little farming operation raising pumpkins and sweet corn which went very well.

As far as garage projects go, I finished repairing my wood boiler so now it's sitting as my back up. I refurbished my utility trailer with new lights, wiring, and tires. Changed an engine in my Chevy cobalt not to mention numerous other maintenance jobs that slip my mind. A couple major things I needed to improve was my generator for back up power and a better rig for plowing snow, I was able to take care of both this summer. The generator is hooked up on stand by and I'm working on installing the plow on my old truck. 

All that and we still had time for some leisure time on the pontoon boat, four wheeler rides, a few camping trips, and spending time with family and friends.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TroyDairy said:

She does?  Good to hear spuds are in.  Ahead of last fall i hope.  Last 48 we got 3+ " rain.  If it wasnt in here it aint gonna be.  Did you see Da Fuhrer press conference today.  Since lockup 1 didnt work we to repeat the exact same thing and lock up #2 tomorrow.  Most items he hit are nonsensical to a level i am even shocked by. 

Prices are looooow.  But the CFAF program Mr Purdue manages saved us.  Late last year we (brother) decided to get "milk insurance"(like crop) and every day i mutter a prayer of thanks.  Have had some of the lowest drama workers in my 22 years dairying.  Being a farmer the cv19 stuff really hasnt bothered me.  Know friends whove had and recovered uneventfully.   But we keep working, people eat etc.  Election in our state didnt work but we can prayerfully figure out how to navigate a ego maniacals 3rd tenure.  0 kid drama, some real fun camping trips.  Went Austin for Afbf conference in Jan and met Bill!  As usual a cool RPF member.  Sent dad to tulare for show and he got to meet tony and had a ball with his brother.(uncle we have gpas farm from)

Good thread 

You got 3 us too, NOAA says til saturday, mom was watching global the red areas back east and westward are talking about 2 week store closures, start a buying frenzy again? Having peeps playing vigilante on state or province plates? Or better yet the macho morons hitting and preying on elderly, female, and family type asians screaming "you brought this here" at them, whats funny is no 220 pound asian males are singled out and I know a few of them, politicians and science, not a good mix, as a matter of fact politicians are.....................I better shut up.