B 29 in-flight crawl through

Steve C.

My wife and I took a flight in the Witchcraft B24 back in 2016, one of the coolest (and most expensive) things we ever did.  Told her we were going on a plane ride, and didnt give any details.  The look on her face when she found out what was going on was priceless.....half excitement half anxiety.   Those boys had balls of steel being in there.  

FIFI was at the Johnstown airport awhile back doing flights, bit just didnt have the funds.  We swore that were going to do that or a B17 before they're grounded forever which I don't think will be very far in the future.  

35 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

My wife and I took a flight in the Witchcraft B24 back in 2016, one of the coolest (and most expensive) things we ever did.  Told her we were going on a plane ride, and didnt give any details.  The look on her face when she found out what was going on was priceless.....half excitement half anxiety.   Those boys had balls of steel being in there.  

FIFI was at the Johnstown airport awhile back doing flights, bit just didnt have the funds.  We swore that were going to do that or a B17 before they're grounded forever which I don't think will be very far in the future.  

I have been on Witchcraft and I flew twice on the B17 909 that crashed in Connecticut. Glad I wasn't on that time.... It is quite an experience!

I want to take a flight on one of the B-29’s some day, FiFi or Doc. 

Back in the 1980’s I took a flight on the MATS Connie, with the great Frank Lang as our pilot. It was great meeting him and getting to talk with him. Frank is gone now and the MATS Connie has been flown to South Korea and is a grounded forever static display piece. To this day it still makes my blood boil as to that Connie being flown to South Korea. It should have stayed in the U.S. 

would love to fly on one of the old bombers someday, but like it was stated above, they'll probably be out of commission before I have enough throwaway money for the family to take a flight on one. Any idea what it costs to fly on one of the B29's or B17's now?

10 minutes ago, RBootsMI said:

Any idea what it costs to fly on one of the B29's or B17's now?

Quoted from Doc's (B-29) website:  Tickets cost $600 a piece for gunner seats (there are six available per flight); $1,200 each for navigator or cockpit observer seats; and $1,500 each for bombardier seats.

From the CAF website:  The cost to fly on the B-17 Flying Fortress is: $475.00 per person for seats in the center section of the aircraft. $700.00 per person for the Navigator's Seat. $850.00 per person for the Bombardier's Seat.  

Both websites said those were prices for 2019.

Read more here: https://www.kansas.com/news/local/article226512415.html#storylink=cpyThe cost to fly on the B-17 Flying Fortress is: $475.00 per person for seats in the center section of the aircraft. $700.00 per person for the Navigator's Seat. $850.00 per person for the Bombardier's Seat.

22 minutes ago, RBootsMI said:

would love to fly on one of the old bombers someday, but like it was stated above, they'll probably be out of commission before I have enough throwaway money for the family to take a flight on one. Any idea what it costs to fly on one of the B29's or B17's now?

I flew on Sentimental Journey a few years ago and the price for a bombardiers seat has risen by 200$ since then. 

https://www.azcaf.org/fly-with-us/

When I took my flight on the MATS Connie (Lockheed Constellation), in the 1980’s, the price was $200.00 for a 30 minute flight. 

I’ll have to dig out my souvenir flight packet that came with the flight purchase to check the date and year, I want to say it was 1985. 

I thought $200.00 was pretty steep for back then, but I knew it was probably going to be my only once in a lifetime chance to fly aboard a Lockheed Constellation. So I took it. And as it turned out, our flight, take off to touchdown was almost exactly 45 minutes, (I was timing it, lol) but with no extra charge. Come to find out one of our local TV stations showed up at the airport and asked for some flying video of the Connie, so Frank Lang our pilot did a couple of flybys for them with us on board before we landed. And even the taxing on the ground which was not part of the flight time was great fun. Later that night I watched the late news and got to see the Connie flybys, knowing I was on that flight on TV, it was cool. It was worth every penny. 

• Like 1

I saw Fifi in Greensboro, NC  more than 25 years ago. One daughter and I took the inside tour of it. I sat in the left seat as tour guide told of the airplane. Possible that he could have been Randy Sohn. Also saw it fly over nearby our farm on two occasions in different years as it was transiting from city to city in southeast USA while on tour. Saw a B-24 in Greensboro on another occasion.  B-17's have been in Winston-Salem, NC on several occasions over the years. First picture below of Liberty Belle in 2005. It was the one that made a forced landing and then burned in a cornfield in Illinois a few years ago. Next picture of B-17 was in Winston-Salem in 2014. It was numbered and named as Memphis Belle. I took a ride in B-25 Panchito that day in 2014. Flight route that day was to northwest of Winston-Salem and both the 17 and 25 made many passes over our farm those two days. On my flight I pointed out our farm to the pilots. One of them asked what kind of farming I did. When I told him dairy, he said he was raised on dairy in New York. On the return leg to airport after making 180 turn around  Pilot Mountain, pilot told me to crawl under cockpit to bombardier position in nose of aircraft and he would circle our farm. I'd bet he never did that before for anyone. Pictures below of B-25, Pilot Mountain, our farm and dairy farmer having a thrill of a lifetime. .

Capture Liberty Belle.JPG

IMG_4314.JPG

IMG_4315.JPG

IMG_4326.JPG

IMG_4331 (Large) (3).JPG

IMG_4324 (Large).JPG

• Like 2