Jump to content

2 Bottom plows.


Mr. Plow

Recommended Posts

Ok, where is the progress report? ?‍??‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

Work gets in the way sometimes ??

WHAT a bummer!  You need to come home and work at this stuff.  Being in the shop is your relaxation period each night..... your "Happy Place" ?  After all, some of us need to live vicariously through you - we are just lacking the talent you have for this stuff!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm going to try and get some more done this weekend!!!!   Need more plow bottoms from a friend, but COVID quarantine messed that up a little bit. 

Getting there!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/12/2020 at 10:49 PM, Mr. Plow said:

Building 3 more 2 bottom plows this week.  One for dad,  one for a good friend,  and one to sell.

Coming along nicely.

Last pics are the first one I built. 

20201112_175932.jpg

20201112_175908.jpg

20201112_195729.jpg

20201016_123812.jpg

20201016_135056.jpg

mam I love it!! always wanted to do this. Someday hope to have a replica of THE LADY and a small plow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, cougar766 said:

mam I love it!! always wanted to do this. Someday hope to have a replica of THE LADY and a small plow.

Well ya know.... get Steve a couple plow bottoms and I'm sure he will add your name to the list of happy buyers! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/16/2020 at 7:45 PM, Dave Shepard said:

I have the M18 Fuel Bandsaw. 5x5 throat. 

 

On 11/16/2020 at 9:08 PM, Mr. Plow said:

Correct, the 120AC version is the same.....

Are there small built in levels on these so you can tell if you are making a square cut, or do you need to draw line around piece you are cutting?  I don't know if I could use one of these, I couldn't hold it right.  Being right handed, I would have to run trigger with right hand, so would be holding it cross handed, could see a trip to hospital if that happened. ?

Likely best for me to stick to stationary unit.

Debating this unit:

https://www.busybeetools.com/products/metal-bandsaw-5in-with-swivel-csa-cx116.html  ??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Easy to use.....I'm right handed and find it perfect.....I cut straighter with it than a hacksaw.  No levels.

The offset is perfect and aligns cuts exceptionally well.  Not sure what you mean by cross handed.

.......don't fear the portaband!!!!!.....???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

Easy to use.....I'm right handed and find it perfect.....I cut straighter with it than a hacksaw.  No levels.

The offset is perfect and aligns cuts exceptionally well.  Not sure what you mean by cross handed.

.......don't fear the portaband!!!!!.....???

I would be running trigger with right hand, so I would be covering up the blade with my left forearm so wouldn't be able to watch the blade where was cutting.  I am a weird one, can eat with fork in left hand, miss my mouth every time - but need to hold fork in left hand to cut a steak. ?‍♂️

Goingnto look at a portaband at HD today???  Can't see it working for me, but who knows?

So where are the progress pics Steve? Lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Mountain Heritage said:

 

Are there small built in levels on these so you can tell if you are making a square cut, or do you need to draw line around piece you are cutting?  I don't know if I could use one of these, I couldn't hold it right.  Being right handed, I would have to run trigger with right hand, so would be holding it cross handed, could see a trip to hospital if that happened. ?

Likely best for me to stick to stationary unit.

Debating this unit:

https://www.busybeetools.com/products/metal-bandsaw-5in-with-swivel-csa-cx116.html  ??

Portabands are handy,  have used them at work. However they do have their limitations. One of them being the operator. I can struggle making a square cut. For fabricating at work we use a stationary saw. Mostly use portabands for the occasional  demo work. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All I can say is that your left arm is never in the way of the view of the blade........it just isn't.   The cut happens just in front of and below your right hand.  100% clear view.

Put snow equipment on tractors yesterday......can't always be working on plows.  Still need 4 more bottoms from my buddy......Covid at his work and around here getting in the way of that trip.

20201125_144044.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

All I can say is that your left arm is never in the way of the view of the blade........it just isn't.   The cut happens just in front of and below your right hand.  100% clear view.

Put snow equipment on tractors yesterday......can't always be working on plows.  Still need 4 more bottoms from my buddy......Covid at his work and around here getting in the way of that trip.

20201125_144044.jpg

Just looked at the small version of portaband at HD, wow that size is useless for me!

Will have to see.  

Nice to see you're ready for snow at least Steve!  Damn virus is screwing everything up in life.

Got any close up shots of you snow thrower Steve, was thinking of adding extensions to mine similar to the model you have?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I added the extension in 2002 when I completely rebuilt the QA-42A.  Then later I added a speed up pulley and modified it to work with the tall spindle Super Steer front axle.  Also has hyd. chute rotator. 

42 extension 4.jpg

782 w-blower 3.JPG

DSCF0338.JPG

DSCF0339.JPG

IMG_5130.JPG

IMG_5132.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/26/2020 at 10:44 AM, Mr. Plow said:

I added the extension in 2002 when I completely rebuilt the QA-42A.  Then later I added a speed up pulley and modified it to work with the tall spindle Super Steer front axle.  Also has hyd. chute rotator. 

42 extension 4.jpg

782 w-blower 3.JPG

DSCF0338.JPG

DSCF0339.JPG

IMG_5130.JPG

IMG_5132.JPG

Nice work!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Better to be ready than being stuck installing it in a snow storm! ?

Looks good all suited up for winter.

How did your plasma jig work out? Pictures!!

How did you get away with straight lift straps on that blower, I had to put the bent ones on so I didn't take out the grill when I lifted the blower. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

1)  thanks, ready for snow is better than not, for sure.

2) no template, haven't got back to it.  Had to cancel trip for bottoms,  wife and I both COVID positive..... PITA!!!!!

3) with super steer axle I had to modify thrower.  Look at back of lower bracket, had to clearance back of forks to get the blower lower.  Had to lengthen uppers to keep it upright.  Also had to trim left side chain/driveshaft guard to clear tires. 

With thrower that much lower, no need for curved uppers.

SS axle is taller and pushes front wheels forward about an inch or so.

Pics with black lift rod are latest mods.....I've modified on this thing since 2002!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/28/2020 at 3:22 PM, Mr. Plow said:

Soft cab .........on!

Ready for snow means no snow!

20201128_130659.jpg

Picked up a soft-cab for the 720 today! Got a 52" snow thrower also. That cab will feel good this winter!

Sorry to hear you picked up the virus, that sucks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cab is great , glad you found one!  virus is minor so far, 14 day quarantine for family is annoying,  but the correct course of action......I'd hate to be responsible for someone getting a bad case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

 

1)  thanks, ready for snow is better than not, for sure.

2) no template, haven't got back to it.  Had to cancel trip for bottoms,  wife and I both COVID positive..... PITA!!!!!

3) with super steer axle I had to modify thrower.  Look at back of lower bracket, had to clearance back of forks to get the blower lower.  Had to lengthen uppers to keep it upright.  Also had to trim left side chain/driveshaft guard to clear tires. 

With thrower that much lower, no need for curved uppers.

SS axle is taller and pushes front wheels forward about an inch or so.

Pics with black lift rod are latest mods.....I've modified on this thing since 2002!

 

Damn, sorry to hear about you and wife.  That sucks.  Fingers crossed you both get thru it with little difficulty ??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

Back to plow assembly today.....

20201230_121302.jpg

20201230_165155.jpg

20201230_130626.jpg

Very Cool!!!  I like it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...